nina1304

traveling out of USA prior to filing N400

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am married to a us citizen for more than 3 years, have already been physically present in the USA for more than 18 months (as required at least half of 3 years) since i got my green card, never stayed out of the USA for 6 months on one trip. My husband and I always file joint tax- return.

I have a toddler son (less than five years old) who is permanent resident and newborn who is a US citizen.

I will be eligible to apply for naturalization in june next year.

I plan on traveling out of the USA for the next months, with each period not exceeding 5months and half.

I have some few questions:

- Do i need to be in the USA when filing? can I file from abroad and just come to the USA for the fingerprints and interview/Oath? can i postpone the fingerprints appointment?

- If i file my N400 in march, 3 months before (march 2010) my 3 years GC in june 2010, and everything goes well, depending it takes 6 months. will I be a citizen by august 2010? what will i need to do when filing?

- when filing, how can i introduce my toddler son (less than five years old) who is a permanent resident? how can he become a US citizen? should i first wait to become us citizen before filing for him?What is the process?

His permanent resident card will expire in august. Will I need to apply for another green card for him even though he will become a citizen two weeks later after his green card expires? will he need to be in the USA when filing his citizenship or can he just come later?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello everyone,

I am married to a us citizen for more than 3 years, have already been physically present in the USA for more than 18 months (as required at least half of 3 years) since i got my green card, never stayed out of the USA for 6 months on one trip. My husband and I always file joint tax- return.

I have a toddler son (less than five years old) who is permanent resident and newborn who is a US citizen.

I will be eligible to apply for naturalization in june next year.

I plan on traveling out of the USA for the next months, with each period not exceeding 5months and half.

I have some few questions:

- Do i need to be in the USA when filing? can I file from abroad and just come to the USA for the fingerprints and interview/Oath? can i postpone the fingerprints appointment?

- If i file my N400 in march, 3 months before (march 2010) my 3 years GC in june 2010, and everything goes well, depending it takes 6 months. will I be a citizen by august 2010? what will i need to do when filing?

- when filing, how can i introduce my toddler son (less than five years old) who is a permanent resident? how can he become a US citizen? should i first wait to become us citizen before filing for him?What is the process?

His permanent resident card will expire in august. Will I need to apply for another green card for him even though he will become a citizen two weeks later after his green card expires? will he need to be in the USA when filing his citizenship or can he just come later?

Remember to maintain US residency and not make it seem you are just comming back to the US briefly between trips as that won't count. Also remember you still have to meet all residency requirement up and to the day of the Oath ceremony.

You most definaly need to be present in the US during the process with maybe a small short trip out as you will be called in for finger prints and interviews. Sometimes with very short or little notice. Most people choose not to leave after applying for the N-400 unless it's an emergency. Fingerprints and interview you need to be present, postponing things is never a good idea and in fact very rarely will they do that for these too things (more common for the oath). If you are already thinking of maybe post poning these things, then maybe the N-400 isn't quite for you or you may need to do your travels then when you are back living and residing in the US permenatly then maybe you should file.

It just seems like your vacations are more like trips to live in another country and just come back to try and pretend you are maintaining US residency which the IO's will notice at the interview and quite possibly deny you anyways.

You do not file 3 months before your date, you file up to 90 days before your 3 year anniversery PR date assuming you can still demonstrate you and your spouse are still living together and married and show no signs of being apart in these 3 years. Citizenship is different for every individual. Some take years others months. Depends on how strong your application is (these trips might bring you some problems by how you are describing them). There is no time frame when you would get your citizenship if you passed the interview. Months or longer, there are too many things to depend on.

I believe your son would be a citizen when you become one. If say your trips show you are actually living abroad and not travelling on a vacation and you get denied the N-400 and are placed in removal proceedings for abandonment of the Green Card, they your son depending on if he was with you or in the US while you were gone may or may not be deported too if that were to happen. Is your whole family going on these "trips" or just you?

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Will you still have been physically present in the U.S. for more than half of your total time of residence by the time of the interview? It's not enough to just log 18 months because you have been married for 3 years. At the time of the interview you must be able to show that you have spent at least half of your time of residence in the U.S.

For instance if you have been a resident for 4 years by the time of the interview, you will have to show at least 24 months in the U.S.

You are eligible to apply at 3 years because you are married to a USC, but when figuring physical presence, you have to show that you spend at least half of your time in the U.S.--not just half of the first 3 years.

Edited by john_and_marlene

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

• 2 years later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Will you still have been physically present in the U.S. for more than half of your total time of residence by the time of the interview? It's not enough to just log 18 months because you have been married for 3 years. At the time of the interview you must be able to show that you have spent at least half of your time of residence in the U.S.

For instance if you have been a resident for 4 years by the time of the interview, you will have to show at least 24 months in the U.S.

You are eligible to apply at 3 years because you are married to a USC, but when figuring physical presence, you have to show that you spend at least half of your time in the U.S.--not just half of the first 3 years.

My understanding is that if you are married to a USC, then you do not have to prove that you have spent half of your time in the US, only the 180 days out of the last 3 years, is this correct?

Also, wouldn't passport stamps be the proof that you have met physical presence requirements?

12-14-07 Sent K-1 petition

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

02-27-08 NVC processed petition

02-28-08 Received NOA2 in mail

03-03-08 Consulate in Rio de Janeiro received petition

03-21-08 Received packet for interview

04-22-08 Visa Interview and Visa APPROVED!

05-06-08 Visa received in mail

07-28-08 Wedding Date (Reception was 26th, but forgot to reigster for MC...oops)

10-04-08 Applied for AOS (EAD and AP also)

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

10-27-08 I-485 transferred to CSC

11-04-08 I-485 Biometrics appointment

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

12-09-08 EAD Biometrics appointment

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

Cost of 3 roundtrip tickets to Brazil in last 3 years...... $2,900+

Cost of filing petitions for K-1 visa & AOS.................... $1,465+

Cost of monthly calling cards to Brazil........................$20

Cost of marrying the woman of my dreams.... PRICELESS

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.