Dakine

US Passport

11 posts in this topic

Anyone here applied and received a US passport recently.

Just wondered how long it takes now?

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I applied for my passport in August. I also did an expedite and paid for overnight service. I mailed it off USPS on Saturday afternoon and had the new one in my mailbox the following Friday at 10am. So, I had mine in less than a week. I got my old passport back the following week.

If only immigration could work this fast! :wacko:

Waiting.....Waiting....waiting....waiting....and more waiting..........

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I applied for my passport in August. I also did an expedite and paid for overnight service. I mailed it off USPS on Saturday afternoon and had the new one in my mailbox the following Friday at 10am. So, I had mine in less than a week. I got my old passport back the following week.

If only immigration could work this fast! :wacko:

illnevergetthis,

Just wondering - you mean you got your 'foreign' passport back the following week, or were you renewing an American passport?

Also, is a valid 'foreign' passport needed to get an American one, or can it be expired, or is just the certificate of naturalization necessary (no passport at all)?

Just wondering.

venusfire

Edited by venusfire503

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

My main concern is my wife will be taking the oath for USC and from what I understand she won't be able to travel home after she gets her US until she get a US PP.

From what I understand they take the GC at the oath ceremony. I guess her Philippine passport will be invalid also.

Only good thing is we won't have to deal with USCIS ANYMORE.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I got my passport in a couple of weeks after applying.

It was really quick.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The following thread can give you a rough idea of what to expect based on the timelines of other VJ mambers who have already applied for passports.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=215372

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Timeline

illnevergetthis,

Just wondering - you mean you got your 'foreign' passport back the following week, or were you renewing an American passport?

I was renewing my American Passport. I couldn't believe how fast they processed it...even with the expedite.

Also, is a valid 'foreign' passport needed to get an American one, or can it be expired, or is just the certificate of naturalization necessary (no passport at all)?

I don't know about this, but I will see if I can find out for you.

Timeline

Venusfire,

Here is the link for applying for your American passport. From what I read, you do not need your foreign passport. There is a list of items that you can use; a couple of them are your certificate of citizenship or your naturalization certificate.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

I hope this helps, sorry about the confusion. :blush:

Yep, to get a US passport, you only need your naturalization certificate.

The rule is, once you are naturalized, the US government considers you to be a US Citizen, and a US Citizen only. Your old government might (or might not) still consider you to be one of their citizens, but that's a matter between you and your old government, and the US government doesn't really care. As far as the US is concerned, you're just a US Citizen, with all the rights, privileges, and responsibilities of a native-born US citizen. Except you can't become president.

In particular, any foreign passport you may hold is no longer relevant as far as the US government is concerned. They don't take it away from you (it belongs to the country that issued it), but they don't require you to show it to get a US passport. In fact, a foreign passport isn't even listed as one of the acceptable identifying documents to get a US passport. Also, after you're a US Citizen, they don't want you to use a foreign passport to cross US borders. But depending on your country of origin, you might still find the old passport useful to go to your old country, and/or to enter other countries.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Other Timeline

(note: I posted this on another vj n-400 message thread, but I thought it might help here too)

Hi Eveyone,

As a Canadian, you are allowed dual citizenships of both Canada and the USA. And yes, by all means, keep your Canadian passport, especially more so if it is still valid and you can still travel with it to Canada after you get US Citizenship. And no, you will not be fined by either country, for keeping such, nor will your passport get taken away. Just go into Canada with your Canadian passport, and come back to the USA with your American passport. There are Canadians that do this (you can find more info about that on the VJ Canada forums), and have had no problems doing this, and in fact can be an advantage when travelling.

As for me, after I become a US Citizen, I'm going to keep my Canadian passport (lol..I just renewed it anyways..so it's new and I better get use out of it) to travel to Canada, and apply for a US Passport Card (and/or a NYS Enhanced Driver's License), when I travel back to Canada and come back to the USA by land (I live close to the border). Hopefully I shouldn't have any problems then with my travels, when I have such documents.

As well, from what I've read on VJ, it takes about 4-6 weeks (normal processing) or 1-2 weeks (expedited processing) to get a US Passport, so you shouldn't have any problems travelling after citizenship, if you apply for your US Passport right away. Remember though, that as a US Citizen, you would have to get a US passport or other US WHTI document to travel, and you cannot use your Green Card (they take that away during the oath) and cannot use your Citizenship/Naturalization certificate (it's not a travel compliant document) and cannot use your Canadian Passport to get back into the USA (as according to the USA, you're American, not Canadian). So make sure your get your US passport before you travel out of the USA as a US Citizen.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your immigration journey too.

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.