Dan and Ali

Things you love/look forward to about America

51 posts in this topic

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best things about the move, being with my sweetie everyday. OH and the cheaper gas prices are nice! I lived in a small town in Nova Scotia and am very happy to say that the people that I have come in contact with here in Wisconsin have been very friendly. Hopefully once I can go to work I can find a job!

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm looking forward to no snow and warmer temps, delicious restaurants, great places to shop, being able to goto the beach, and being with Wes.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I love the variety of good food here and like someone else mentioned the real Mexican Food... no more Taco bell for me...

oh and Hulu :thumbs:

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Yes the authentic Mexican food is awesome, I agree. :D

There are so many things I would miss about here if I left, I know that for sure.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
Yes the authentic Mexican food is awesome, I agree. :D

There are so many things I would miss about here if I left, I know that for sure.

Me too :D I'd miss Wegmans and Wawa like Nevada said. Also the milder winters here, more TV channel selections, cheaper food, yummy restaurants I've discovered, cheap books, Target, Trader Joe's. I think I'd miss Trader Joe's the most out of anything here!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

*The wide variety of good ethnic food restaurants (Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, real Mexican, etc) ;

*the weather - oh, no snow! I don't mind the heat as much as the cold. Springs and Falls that go on forever -the trees that bloom in the Spring - it is like 30 to 40% of all trees have some sort of flowers that last for a long time - no quick 1 week Spring and then Summer;

*the sweet smells of all the trees and flowers - even kudzu smells nice;

*the lushness of the land (probably regionally specific but here in Georgia it is so physically beautiful it almost hurts sometimes);

*the wildlife - lots of birds and butterflies I have never seen before, the variety and number of wildlife is astonishing -little green anole lizards, little brown skinks with bright blue tails, little salamanders, opossum, bears, bobcats, wild turkey, deer, fox, rabbits . . .;

*being able to grow rosemary and figs in our yard;

*the history - living in "Gone With the Wind" country;

*Atlanta - beautiful, beautiful city

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I find it really interesting that so many people said the variety of ethnic food restaurants. For those of you that find that different in the U.S., did you come from smaller places in Canada?

I wonder because in Calgary we have tons of ethnic food places that are absolutely great. Little light on the Mexican, but so many others.

Yeah, I come from a pretty small town.

The only "ethnic food" we have here is 7 Chinese-Canadian fast food places.

(Why 7 I dont know.)

I only like one of them :lol:

Edited by Rhiann

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

I came from smaller cities as well, although we did have a Mexican restaurant. I found out after I got here, though, that it wasn't 'real' Mexican - more TexMex which I am not fussy about. For me it isn't that they have ethnic restaurants, it is the number of them - not just 1 or 2 Thai restaurants, but beyond counting - and that is in a smaller satellite community to Atlanta, not Atlanta itself.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would second that vote for books/magazines.

My jaw nearly hit the ground when I saw prices for used books at a Canadian store.

Around here, I can go into a used book place with 5 bucks and come out with 2-5 interesting books....

(I know, I'm from the US so I said it backwards - don't hate me!)

Edited by Varba

Montreal Interviewer: "What do you have in common with each other?"

Peachey: "We're REALLY weird."

Montreal Interviewer (incredulously to me): "Do you agree with that?"

<I think back to several days before the interview. Driving through the country, passing a field with cows...>

Peachey: "MOOOO! MOOOOO! Does this make me weird?"

Me: "No, well yes. Here, let me roll down the windows so they can hear you better!"

Peachey: "MOOOOO!!!!"

<back to interview>

Me: "Yes, yes I do."

Timeline
I find it really interesting that so many people said the variety of ethnic food restaurants. For those of you that find that different in the U.S., did you come from smaller places in Canada?

I wonder because in Calgary we have tons of ethnic food places that are absolutely great. Little light on the Mexican, but so many others.

I was interested in that as well. I have got nothing out where I live but a McDonalds, 1 chinese restaurant, 1 pizza place and a Diner! :lol: In ottawa I ate nothing but Indian and Lebanese food.

I don't think I really super love anything about where I live but I like a few things.

I like Target a lot, but to be honest, it's most expensive than you think and I always end up spending too much money!! Also, while I thought it was aweosme the first few years shopping at outlets and getting stuff for really cheap, I realized that I actually have a few stories in Canada like Lululemon, Artizia and the Banana Republic in Canada which I like more than the US one, that I can't live without. I do like shopping at the Gap outlet here though once and awhile.

I love TV here....I really do. haha I love my husband, obviously. And, I've started to meet a few good people around here that I enjoy talking to.

I love Wawa and Wegmans but live far from them both so...

I can't say yet that I would really miss things if I left here for Canada. There are stlil too many things I hate, including not being able to pump my own gas!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

So true everytime I go to Target I spend 80 bucks just like that, on nothing. I would miss Popchips, any of you tried those? They are awesome. And a healthy snack :thumbs: Sold at Target or Wegmans

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Here in Vancouver there are a ton of different Asian/Indo foods, but if you want good Italian? Gotta go to North Burnaby. Want Mexican? Not gonna happen.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.