Sprailenes

So foxy loxy, how do you like your turkey lurkey?

126 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Maybe we'll do a turkey. I'm not going to be home this weekend and on top of that it's my oldest niece's 11th birthday. Gawd I miss home

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
So what are all your plans for thanksgiving?

Anyone going home? Anyone cooking a meal down here?

While I was in the middle of reading this thread my daughter called about Thanksgiving again. This was the third call asking me the same question. lol. For some strange reason my cousin emailed her just now and said I was coming for Thanksgiving and we should all get together. :blink: I have no idea what drugs she's taking but I never said that! lol. My daughter wanted to know if Kelly knew something that she didn't know.

Anyway, I have been wrestling with this for a few weeks now. On the one hand I keep telling myself there is really no reason to go because my family will be here in December. On the other hand, I find myself becoming more and more upset about not being there and it is translating into bitchiness. Plus, for me it's a double whammy because it's my daughter's birthday on Friday. :cry: I feel guilty at the thought of telling my husband I'm leaving him to visit my family again, but I also feel guilty about not being there. Aaaarghh!!!!!

Also is your thanksgiving traditions any different from your American or Canadian SO's?

Our Thanksgivings are COMPLETELY different. The food is different, the atmosphere is different, and the things we do are different. I HATE going to his parents' Thanksgivings. I hate hate hate it! :crying:

I need to figure out a new strategy. I was thinking, cook it early, eat early, and then I'll be able to recoup and come back later for more. The whole elastic waist pants doesn't always work... in fact I think the stretchable waist gives one a false sense of security and lets you down more than lets you out... if you know what I'm sayin.

One day at work (in Canada) we were all going to The Mandarin for lunch. I think we were celebrating something. Anyway, my girlfriend (she is one of my best friends) had "dressed up" that day, and she was wearing elasticized pants. lol. So we're standing in the reception area when one of our coworkers walked in. He looked at what she was wearing and said "I see you wore your buffet pants." OMG. :rofl: If looks could have killed. lol. And then I got a look that could kill because I just about fell on the floor I was laughing so hard. I miss them. :(

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm going to visit Spoom's family for my first Thanksgiving with them. I was supposed to go last year, but it was less than a week after I started my new job, and my board of directors wasn't thrilled with the idea. This year, there's no school on that date, so I can close the youth center with no issues :D

It will also be his first Thanksgiving here with my family (I think his finals/midterms were last year during our Thanksgiving). Fortunately, I live in the apartment above my Grandparents' (who host Thanksgiving every year)....I get the feeling Spoom will be doing a lot of "helping" in the kitchen. ^_^

Both of us are eager for any reason to eat turkey another time during the year. :D

Timeline for Spoom

2009-02-14: Engaged!

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview!! - APPROVED!!!

2009-11-21: POE

2010-01-23: WEDDING!!!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

They showed how to make a Turkpigin this morning on Canada AM. Meaning stuffing a turkey with a ham.

Looks real easy lol.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline
So what are all your plans for thanksgiving?

Anyone going home? Anyone cooking a meal down here?

While I was in the middle of reading this thread my daughter called about Thanksgiving again. This was the third call asking me the same question. lol. For some strange reason my cousin emailed her just now and said I was coming for Thanksgiving and we should all get together. :blink: I have no idea what drugs she's taking but I never said that! lol. My daughter wanted to know if Kelly knew something that she didn't know.

Anyway, I have been wrestling with this for a few weeks now. On the one hand I keep telling myself there is really no reason to go because my family will be here in December. On the other hand, I find myself becoming more and more upset about not being there and it is translating into bitchiness. Plus, for me it's a double whammy because it's my daughter's birthday on Friday. :cry: I feel guilty at the thought of telling my husband I'm leaving him to visit my family again, but I also feel guilty about not being there. Aaaarghh!!!!!

Also is your thanksgiving traditions any different from your American or Canadian SO's?

Our Thanksgivings are COMPLETELY different. The food is different, the atmosphere is different, and the things we do are different. I HATE going to his parents' Thanksgivings. I hate hate hate it! :crying:

I need to figure out a new strategy. I was thinking, cook it early, eat early, and then I'll be able to recoup and come back later for more. The whole elastic waist pants doesn't always work... in fact I think the stretchable waist gives one a false sense of security and lets you down more than lets you out... if you know what I'm sayin.

One day at work (in Canada) we were all going to The Mandarin for lunch. I think we were celebrating something. Anyway, my girlfriend (she is one of my best friends) had "dressed up" that day, and she was wearing elasticized pants. lol. So we're standing in the reception area when one of our coworkers walked in. He looked at what she was wearing and said "I see you wore your buffet pants." OMG. :rofl: If looks could have killed. lol. And then I got a look that could kill because I just about fell on the floor I was laughing so hard. I miss them. :(

Aww that is funny! :lol:

Yea I hear ya, it's hard around holidays!

My husband and I argued last night about Christmas already! My mother really wants me to come home and promised to come down next year when she gets her new car. She doesn't want to drive down alone in the car she has now because it isn't good for winter driving and yadda yadda.

Anyways my husband and I decided we'd just spend Christmas apart. He wants to spend it with his family, I want to spend it with mine... I guess that's just what we'll have to do. I know he isn't happy about it. But at the same time I know he feels the need to go to his mom's because she's uber sensitive about stuff and will probably kill him if he doesn't show up as last year we were in Canada also.

He's more upset though because it's going to look bad if we don't show up for Christmas together. He said first his cousin's wedding and now Christmas. So it's becoming a bit of a conflict and I don't know what to do. I feel like I live here, spend most other holidays here. I get a week off for Christmas, I would like to take that week and go home.

So either way I am going to feel like ####### on Christmas day for leaving someone behind. :lol:

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Varba's mom is super sensitive about stuff too, and complained constantly last year that it was going to be her first Christmas Day sans her kids since they were born. So to compensate we got on webcam on Christmas evening and apparently she cried the whole time.

This year Christmas is in January... Your husband's mom might need to realize that you are #1 woman in his life now. But if you've agreed on a solution so I guess then there's no problems! :)

12/31/2009 - Marriage

Timeline

She hasn't realized that. She'll never realize it.

Why would I want to spend my holidays with a woman who hasn't respected me from the beginning? I don't.

Ugh seriously I have looked into therapy because the MIL issues keep piling up. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Well I hope it works out for you :) *hug*

12/31/2009 - Marriage

Timeline

It will... I don't have to live with her. :D

Both my husband and I have overbearing mothers. He gets to deal with MIL stuff too. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Anyhoo back to turkey talk. Haha I should start my own show: Turkey Talk with Nevada. :lol:

Last year my husband and I just bought a breast and I just found that it didn't have the same amount of flavour as a regular turkey. I even soaked it in a brine as suggested by the executive chef here at work... still just didn't feel the same.

Perhaps it's all in my head. :P

Donne moi une poptart!

I bought some cranberries last night and I'm going to make my own cranberry sauce for when I have Turkey with Varba when he comes down next week :)

12/31/2009 - Marriage

Timeline

Mmm cranberries.

I love canned cranberries only because of the sound they make coming out of the can... and then how it justs sit there slightly wigglinig in perfect formation... it looks like a jelly can.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

We are doing a ham for the Canadian one then a turkey for the next one. My youngest doesn't like turkey so we try and let him get his ham fix. Now for Christmas we do both on the 24 we did turkey and had lots of hubbies family come over then we had ham on the 25Th. We eat a lot of turkey through out the year its crazy, anytime we see one on sale we grab it. Then we make all the goodies to go with it. I think last year we must of had 3 extra turkey suppers. Just can't get enough turkey in this house either plus it gives me a break from cooking for awhile eating left overs.

Danielle

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Turns out my parents are going to be away this weekend in the US, but my mom said she'd cook turkey if I was around for Xmas still.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Timeline
Anyways my husband and I decided we'd just spend Christmas apart.

That's what my daughter and her fiancé do. He goes to his family for Christmas and she comes to ours. Except he came when we all went to Mexico and he's coming for the cruise and Christmas in Miami this year. Funny how that works out. lol. But, yeah. I made up my mind last year that I was not spending Christmas with my husband's family instead of mine anymore. Sorry. I have stronger ties to mine than his. I'm not living the rest of my life with regret should something ever happen to someone I love.

So.... I think I have come up with a plan for Canadian Thanksgiving. I will let you know how it pans out. :ph34r:

Anyhoo back to turkey talk. Haha I should start my own show: Turkey Talk with Nevada. :lol:

Change your thread title! :lol:

Last year my husband and I just bought a breast and I just found that it didn't have the same amount of flavour as a regular turkey. I even soaked it in a brine as suggested by the executive chef here at work... still just didn't feel the same.

Perhaps it's all in my head. :P

It's not in your head. It's the bones which flavour the meat.

I bought some cranberries last night and I'm going to make my own cranberry sauce for when I have Turkey with Varba when he comes down next week :)

OMG, I got in trouble last night at the grocery store! I got it into my head to make chicken wraps with fresh mango and cranberries so we stopped to get them on our way home from Lowe's. There were no fresh cranberries (#######... it's the season!!! :bonk: ) and there were no frozen cranberries. So I'm already upset that I'm not going to Canada and that translates into bitchiness and so I have a little mini rant about how I hate shopping in American grocery stores and I basically got told to shutup. :lol: It never occurred to me that it comes in tins, though, 'cause I've always made my own. lol. I'm going to try a different store in a few minutes.

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.