laureldevine

Affadavit Of Support - London Embassy

22 posts in this topic

The instructions are your best source - but for most folks the supporting evidence/documents include:

• Recent IRS Transcript or Tax Return (including supporting documents such as W-2, 1099's etc)
  • Letter of employment (helpful but not imperative since not all employers will do one)
  • Pay Stubs - as many recent (at time of preparing the Affidavit of Support) as possible

That is what most folks will supply - it all depends on the sponsor's income situation of course.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
hi all,

quick question my mom is sponsoring my fiance and i would like to know exactly what legal and financial documents she would need to gather up??? any help would be appreciated !!! :thumbs:

Just for clarification. YOU are sponsoring your fiance. You mother is co-sponsoring your fiance. She needs to submit the same items you do, last years tax return, employment letter, recent check stubs, I-134, etc. She also needs to supply proof she is a US citizen or Legal Permanent resident (copy of birth certificate or passport)

YOU will always be the primary sponsor, anyone else is a co- or joint-sponsor. YOU always have to provide an I-134 or I-864. Any co or joint sponsor also does the same.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have a specific question in reference to the I-134 and I have not seen it addressed on this website. I work for an individual as a personal assistant, not a company. I also am paid hourly, not salary. I have a guranteed minimum number of hours every week but on average, I work more. My employer has their own letter head that the letter will be printed on and will be notarized. Also, my paychecks have taxes and social security taken out every week. My checks are written to me weekly out of their personal account. The letter states that I have a guranteed minimum number of hours, with what the average amount I actually work and at an hourly rate what my gross income would come out to be and that I am in good standing. There is also a salary chart that is provided by their accountant that shows from 1 to 40 hours at my hourly rate what my paycheck will be. The accountant is also providing me with copies of the last 2 months of cancelled checks. Is there anything else that I need to provide? Is there anything else that needs to be stated in the letter. What other proof do I need to provide. I have not worked for them for a year yet so I do not have a w-2 and my fiance's interview will be before the end of the year. I am also planning to provide 3 years tax returns. I am able to get 2006 and 2007 but I just files 2008 and the irs will not be able to provide a transcript to me for several weeks so I was going to send him the actual return just for 2008. The last 3 years prior I did work for companies and made a significant amount more. I do qualify with the job I have now but barely. I have added my mother as a co-sponsor just in case because I want to cover all of my bases. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I have a specific question in reference to the I-134 and I have not seen it addressed on this website. I work for an individual as a personal assistant, not a company. I also am paid hourly, not salary. I have a guranteed minimum number of hours every week but on average, I work more. My employer has their own letter head that the letter will be printed on and will be notarized. Also, my paychecks have taxes and social security taken out every week. My checks are written to me weekly out of their personal account. The letter states that I have a guranteed minimum number of hours, with what the average amount I actually work and at an hourly rate what my gross income would come out to be and that I am in good standing. There is also a salary chart that is provided by their accountant that shows from 1 to 40 hours at my hourly rate what my paycheck will be. The accountant is also providing me with copies of the last 2 months of cancelled checks. Is there anything else that I need to provide? Is there anything else that needs to be stated in the letter. What other proof do I need to provide. I have not worked for them for a year yet so I do not have a w-2 and my fiance's interview will be before the end of the year. I am also planning to provide 3 years tax returns. I am able to get 2006 and 2007 but I just files 2008 and the irs will not be able to provide a transcript to me for several weeks so I was going to send him the actual return just for 2008. The last 3 years prior I did work for companies and made a significant amount more. I do qualify with the job I have now but barely. I have added my mother as a co-sponsor just in case because I want to cover all of my bases. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Not to sound like a broken record but:

• Recent IRS Transcript or Tax Return (including supporting documents such as W-2, 1099's etc)
  • Letter of employment (helpful but not imperative since not all employers will do one)
  • Pay Stubs - as many recent (at time of preparing the Affidavit of Support) as possible - Not necessarily the same as canceled checks. To add to this, the Embassy/Consulate will calculate your earnings based on your pay-stubs not simply the letter of employment.

For your 2008 tax year, since you may not be able to obtain the transcript - you'll need a copy of the return and any supporting documents you sent with it. Make sure your co-sponsor is submitting any/all needed supporting documents as well (which ever items are prudent for her situation).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you for your response. Is your income calculated on your gross income or on your take home pay (with taxes taken out)? Typically, a person will have a paystub that breaks all of that down but I will not have that. My employer is an individual so my paychecks come from their personal account every week. I have a salary chart that we use to figure my check amount every week...ie, if I work 30 hours, the chart shows what my paycheck should be with the taxes and social security taken out of it, it also shows what the gross would be before the taxes are taken out of the check. What I can provide are copies of the checks that have been issued to me and a copy of the salary chart. Because I am hourly, my checks vary from week to week. How many check copies do I need to provide? How many months worth? I and my employer are willing to provide whatever they need, I am just not sure without knowing how they calculate income how to provide what is necessary. Any advise would be much appreciated....

were any of you able to bring your fiance to U.S.A with 0 income but had a co-sponsor like your parents or close relatives ?? im currently unemployed, i go to college now, and my brother is willing to co-sponsor...how does that work? since my co-sponsor is fully supporting. does he need to send a separate I-134..would that delay the process of visa?also, my fiance overseas does he need to file I-134???? how does it work...

Timeline
Will they require current proof of employment? I can provide last years taxes and 6 months paystubs but in 2 months I'm layed off. If I start the k1 visa process right now will it get denied if I cant find employment right after I'm layed off?

Yes, unless you have a co-sponsor. Start the process and get a job or a co-sponsr lined up

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Winston & Jovana-Danijel, please do not jump in and add questions to an established thread. It makes it very difficult to keep the questions and answers together.

Create new posts to keep the conversations specific to your questions. Please read the Guides to get a start on your preparations.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline
were any of you able to bring your fiance to U.S.A with 0 income but had a co-sponsor like your parents or close relatives ?? im currently unemployed, i go to college now, and my brother is willing to co-sponsor...how does that work? since my co-sponsor is fully supporting. does he need to send a separate I-134..would that delay the process of visa?also, my fiance overseas does he need to file I-134???? how does it work...

Lots of people, most often students, have been successful with a co-sponsor. Yes, the co-sponsor needs to provide a separate I-134. YOU are "fully supporting" regardless of your income, YOU are the sponsor. The co-sponsor is only if in the future your wife becaomes a public charge and you cannot support her. YOU are always first in line. It iwll not delay anything and the co-sponsor and I-134 are not needed until the interview, you do not need it for the petition

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Winston & Jovana-Danijel, please do not jump in and add questions to an established thread. It makes it very difficult to keep the questions and answers together.

Create new posts to keep the conversations specific to your questions. Please read the Guides to get a start on your preparations.

Good advice! You will get better answers if you make your own topic and these things are covered in the guides, it is a good place to start.

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Thank you for your response. Is your income calculated on your gross income or on your take home pay (with taxes taken out)? Typically, a person will have a paystub that breaks all of that down but I will not have that. My employer is an individual so my paychecks come from their personal account every week. I have a salary chart that we use to figure my check amount every week...ie, if I work 30 hours, the chart shows what my paycheck should be with the taxes and social security taken out of it, it also shows what the gross would be before the taxes are taken out of the check. What I can provide are copies of the checks that have been issued to me and a copy of the salary chart. Because I am hourly, my checks vary from week to week. How many check copies do I need to provide? How many months worth? I and my employer are willing to provide whatever they need, I am just not sure without knowing how they calculate income how to provide what is necessary. Any advise would be much appreciated....

Gross income. For your current income, if you do not have a fixed salary, take your Year to Date (YTD) divide by the number of weeks and multiply the result by 52. That is a plausible calculation. Support it with check stubs (at least a couple months worth) and an employement letter. You are golden!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Timeline
hi all,

quick question my mom is sponsoring my fiance and i would like to know exactly what legal and financial documents she would need to gather up??? any help would be appreciated !!! :thumbs:

Just for clarification. YOU are sponsoring your fiance. You mother is co-sponsoring your fiance. She needs to submit the same items you do, last years tax return, employment letter, recent check stubs, I-134, etc. She also needs to supply proof she is a US citizen or Legal Permanent resident (copy of birth certificate or passport)

YOU will always be the primary sponsor, anyone else is a co- or joint-sponsor. YOU always have to provide an I-134 or I-864. Any co or joint sponsor also does the same.

Just for clarification, there is no such thing as 'co-sponsorship' with the I134. There is only one sponsor.

Some consulates will still look for an affidavit from the petitioner. Many will not.

The information given by Gary is relevant to the I864 at time of adjustment of status, and not at visa interview stage.

Moving thread to Consular forums.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
hi all,

Just for clarification, there is no such thing as 'co-sponsorship' with the I134. There is only one sponsor.

Some consulates will still look for an affidavit from the petitioner. Many will not.

The information given by Gary is relevant to the I864 at time of adjustment of status, and not at visa interview stage.

Moving thread to Consular forums.

Yet, Consulates often refer to co-sponsorship even when refusing to accept an additional sponsor, I've seen them indicate they won't accept a "co-sponsor". Most consulate with which I'm familiar DO require an affidavit from the petitioner even when they don't qualify as sponsor.

Would you really advise a petitioner to refrain from providing their own I-134 and just one from somebody else? I wouldn't, not in a million years.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.