Christi and Ian

Attorney Frustrations...

38 posts in this topic

Man, I wished I had found this website prior to hiring an attorney. I wonder if anyone else has encountered the same frustrations I'm having now...?

When my husband and I decided to hire an attorney to help him emigrate to the US, we thought it was the most intelligent choice. We figured that everything would be submitted correctly, the forms would be perfect, all info would be right and since they do this every day, it would be a relatively simple process. In other words, hire someone else to deal with the headaches...

The problem is, it's the ATTORNEY that has been the headache. Most obvious is the fact that we were, I feel, duped into doing the K-3 rather than just going for the CR-1 - so we have to pay an extra fee once he gets here so that he can change his status to permanent resident.

Additionally, we paid the attorney 5 weeks ago - and provided all documentation that was asked for - every stitch of it...but the case still isn't filed!! I cannot even begin to tell you how pissed I am about this. In my mind, if I had just done this myself, my husband would be here 5 weeks faster...

And every time I send information, it either gets lost, or is otherwise unaccounted for. Three times now, she's asked me to send information I'VE ALREADY SENT!! She had me fill out the G325-A and overnight it to her, but failed to mention that my husband also has to fill one out - something we could have done easily while he was here in the States, but now he has to send it overnight from England!!

And the continuing instances of "oops, I forgot to tell you, I also need (fill in the blank)" - I swear if I get another one of those emails I'm going to pull my hair out. I'm guessing, that because she does this for a living, and actually works for an immigration FIRM that she's done this once or twice before? Why am I being asked for information that I could have sent to her originally 5 weeks ago? Incompetence is the only answer I can come up with.

I understand, it's not HER husband...but really, she's in the business of people's LIVES - and I feel like she's wasted 5 weeks of mine.

As it stands - hubby is sending the G-325A tomorrow morning - after we FINALLY received the firm's FED-EX account number, so that we're not responsible for the $$. Fed-Ex says it will be there by Thursday morning. If it's not filed by Friday, I'm sure I will SCREAM...

Just venting enormous amounts of frustration and anxiety.

Has anyone else had to deal with attorney's who just don't seem to know or care???

Marriage : 2009-06-30

CSC: 155 days

I-130: 2009-10-01

NOA1: 2009-10-15

NOA2: 2010-03-05

I-129F: 2009-10-16

NOA1: 2009-10-23

NVC: 60 days

Case #: 2010-03-11

AOS Paid: 2010-03-15

IV Bill Paid: 2010-03-24

Package Sent: 2010-03-29

AVR says received: 2010-04-02

RFE: 2010-04-13

Sign in Fail: 2010-05-10

CONSULATE: 17 days

Medical: 2010-06-04

Interview: 2010-06-15 - APPROVED!

Visa rcv'd: 2010-06-21

POE: 2010-06-29 LAX (286 Days from when we started this whole mess!)

CSC- ROC

Mailed 2012-06-05

NOA1 2012-06-07

Biometrics 2012-07-16

RFE 2013-02-06

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I wished I had found this website prior to hiring an attorney. I wonder if anyone else has encountered the same frustrations I'm having now...?

When my husband and I decided to hire an attorney to help him emigrate to the US, we thought it was the most intelligent choice. We figured that everything would be submitted correctly, the forms would be perfect, all info would be right and since they do this every day, it would be a relatively simple process. In other words, hire someone else to deal with the headaches...

The problem is, it's the ATTORNEY that has been the headache. Most obvious is the fact that we were, I feel, duped into doing the K-3 rather than just going for the CR-1 - so we have to pay an extra fee once he gets here so that he can change his status to permanent resident.

Additionally, we paid the attorney 5 weeks ago - and provided all documentation that was asked for - every stitch of it...but the case still isn't filed!! I cannot even begin to tell you how pissed I am about this. In my mind, if I had just done this myself, my husband would be here 5 weeks faster...

And every time I send information, it either gets lost, or is otherwise unaccounted for. Three times now, she's asked me to send information I'VE ALREADY SENT!! She had me fill out the G325-A and overnight it to her, but failed to mention that my husband also has to fill one out - something we could have done easily while he was here in the States, but now he has to send it overnight from England!!

And the continuing instances of "oops, I forgot to tell you, I also need (fill in the blank)" - I swear if I get another one of those emails I'm going to pull my hair out. I'm guessing, that because she does this for a living, and actually works for an immigration FIRM that she's done this once or twice before? Why am I being asked for information that I could have sent to her originally 5 weeks ago? Incompetence is the only answer I can come up with.

I understand, it's not HER husband...but really, she's in the business of people's LIVES - and I feel like she's wasted 5 weeks of mine.

As it stands - hubby is sending the G-325A tomorrow morning - after we FINALLY received the firm's FED-EX account number, so that we're not responsible for the $$. Fed-Ex says it will be there by Thursday morning. If it's not filed by Friday, I'm sure I will SCREAM...

Has anyone else had to deal with attorney's who just don't seem to know or care???

Sorry to hear what your going thru, I'd say fire her a$$ now, but yes you already paid.

Well do one thing, tell that attorney do not file the K3 after you get NOA 1 for the I-130 !!!!! Stick with the CR1 its the best visa.

You or the lawyer do NOT have to file for the K3 , like you said will cost YOU more, and more money in lawyers pocket!!!

Best wishes.

Beth

Truly happy!!!

New life, new adventures, and a new attitude.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Did the clients/references that you spoke with talk about any processing difficulties? From what you are saying this atty doesn't sound too experienced with immigration.

Fire them if you can and use the VJ group to guide you.

Best of luck.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Sorry to hear what your going thru, I'd say fire her a$$ now, but yes you already paid.

Well do one thing, tell that attorney do not file the K3 after you get NOA 1 for the I-130 !!!!! Stick with the CR1 its the best visa.

You or the lawyer do NOT have to file for the K3 , like you said will cost YOU more, and more money in lawyers pocket!!!

Best wishes.

Beth

Question if I may? Why do you feel you have to file for K3? A K3 is what you file after the I-130 which IS the CR-1.

Please dont file for K3, will slow you down big time. Just have lawyer file the I-130 for the CR-1 visa, then when the beneficiary comes into USA your done with USCIS for 2 years, and they can work, drive and get S.S. # as soon as they arrive in USA.

On the K3 you have to Adjust Status first before beneficiary can work, drive and get S.S. Card.

Truly happy!!!

I had a lawyer for a month a fired him. He wasn't in a hurry as he went home everynight and slept with his wife while we got nasty on webcam!!

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

I had a lawyer for a month a fired him. He wasn't in a hurry as he went home everynight and slept with his wife while we got nasty on webcam!!

More info then we needed, :rofl: but the damn truth, we've all been there and did that!!! Fire that lawyer!!!!

Truly happy!!!

Every fiber in my body is telling me to fire the attorney. Signed a contract though, so don't know how easy it will be. I do have the phone number to the California BAR association complaint line as well as the # for Fee Arbitration - so it may be worth it.

At the very least, I will ask her AGAIN about CR-1. The LAST time I asked her about it, she didn't know what I was talking about, and I had to Google it and explain it to her over the phone. She claims it will take up to a month longer, but from everything I'm hearing here, it won't.

Working really isn't a problem for us, as he is self-employed in the UK, and continues to receive checks even while he's in the US not working.

Geez - how in the H*LL can the attorney NOT know what a CR-1 is...? Geesh...

CSC- ROC

Mailed 2012-06-05

NOA1 2012-06-07

Biometrics 2012-07-16

RFE 2013-02-06

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Every fiber in my body is telling me to fire the attorney. Signed a contract though, so don't know how easy it will be. I do have the phone number to the California BAR association complaint line as well as the # for Fee Arbitration - so it may be worth it.

At the very least, I will ask her AGAIN about CR-1. The LAST time I asked her about it, she didn't know what I was talking about, and I had to Google it and explain it to her over the phone. She claims it will take up to a month longer, but from everything I'm hearing here, it won't.

Working really isn't a problem for us, as he is self-employed in the UK, and continues to receive checks even while he's in the US not working.

mmm if they have not filed ur petition yet fire them request ur file and also refund does it read any where in the contract that they refund ur money or that u will owe them more money as the case moves along? or was it a flat fee.

If an attorney has no idea what CR-1 is i would be more worried about them not knowing what to do if u need help from ur attorney later on down the road.

how many cases do they claim to have had success at?

this is just my opinion

sara

Tell attorney to check out Visa Journey and become educated in this process. Then file it yourself. Just dont give her any more paperwork, then she cant file for you. VJ is way better then a attorney and a whole lot cheaper, you can do this yourself!!!!

Best wishes.

Truly happy!!!

Sister, don't "ask her" about the CR-1. TELL HER to file for it and let go of the K route. You are paying, you call the shots.

Heh heh - did just that - sent her an email telling her to look into it - sent her a quote from some Consul showing it takes the same amount of time, costs less and gives us the benefit of allowing him to work the moment he gets off the plane - I'm expecting her to try and fight me on this, but I'm prepared.

Such wonderful people on here!! xxx

CSC- ROC

Mailed 2012-06-05

NOA1 2012-06-07

Biometrics 2012-07-16

RFE 2013-02-06

Filed: Timeline
Sister, don't "ask her" about the CR-1. TELL HER to file for it and let go of the K route. You are paying, you call the shots.

Heh heh - did just that - sent her an email telling her to look into it - sent her a quote from some Consul showing it takes the same amount of time, costs less and gives us the benefit of allowing him to work the moment he gets off the plane - I'm expecting her to try and fight me on this, but I'm prepared.

Such wonderful people on here!! xxx

Good for you. Tell that b1tch to either do what YOU want, or give me her address. I know my way around swords :devil:

Ugh - help! This is the email I received back from the attorney this morning:

"We can do this too. You, me and Carmen discussed this option originally. Processing times are about 1-2 months apart - if you go with the CR (I130 only), it will take about a month longer for him to get here, but it all depends on the officer and your luck.

You save $ but you will probably not get him here as quickly. However, ge will hav a greencard if you went w/ CR, he will be able to work here immediately upon arrival."

I would rather have him here 1-2 months faster - can anyone tell me - is this true...?

CSC- ROC

Mailed 2012-06-05

NOA1 2012-06-07

Biometrics 2012-07-16

RFE 2013-02-06

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I went the I-130 route based on VJ advice and my attorney agreed. They say I-130 petitions are moving faster and the K-3 is just not worth all the trouble and expense after my husband gets here. The money I'm saving from not doing the K-3 I'm using to go to his Visa interview when the time comes.

Filed: Timeline
Ugh - help! This is the email I received back from the attorney this morning:

"We can do this too. You, me and Carmen discussed this option originally. Processing times are about 1-2 months apart - if you go with the CR (I130 only), it will take about a month longer for him to get here, but it all depends on the officer and your luck.

You save $ but you will probably not get him here as quickly. However, ge will hav a greencard if you went w/ CR, he will be able to work here immediately upon arrival."

I would rather have him here 1-2 months faster - can anyone tell me - is this true...?

Bullsh1t. Processing times are pretty close nowadays (check the timelines). Go for the CR-1 sister, believe you me.

The 1-2 months faster might be true; but then it's at least 90 days until he can work, etc. AND then you have to pay for Adjustment of Status. Seriously, not worth it chica.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.