Roosterwife

SO FRUSTRATED!!!!

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Please bear with me; I just need to vent.

I submitted my app last December to Vermont, and have a January receipt date. I had my biometrics done, but after that heard nothing for several months. I made an Infopass appt over the summer and was told to keep waiting; a week later I called customer service and initiated a service request. Finally, on Sep 15, I got a letter saying that my case had been transferred to California. I've been checking status online and was shocked to see that it is still in the "under initial review" stage.

What on earth has the USCIS been doing with my case since January that they are STILL giving it the initial review?? What happened to it between January and now??? I just called the customer service line and was told that I should wait and get back in touch with them if I haven't heard anything by November 15th. I plan to apply for citizenship in December, for God's sake! If they're going to take so long to process cases, why even bother to have the removal of conditions process?? I should have just saved my money and spent it on the citizenship application! Six months processing time? Yeah, right!

I realize that others are waiting, too, but I am BEYOND annoyed at this. To have spent so much money, waited so long, and to have received absolutely no service is unacceptable to me.

N-400

12/14/09 Mailed application to Lewisville, Texas

04/23/10 Sworn in. America's newest citizen!

I-130

04/26/10 Mailed parents' applications to Chicago

05/03/10 NOA 1 from CSC

10/05/10 I-130 approvals for both parents received

Honestly at this stage, it wouldn't bother me so bad. Apply for natz once you are eligible and it essentially 'forces' them to clear out the I 751.

SA4userbar.jpg

I don't blame you at all for being frustrated. Sometimes, the inequality of the system is just mind boggling. But yes, go ahead and file for citizenship and get it all over and done with.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

I totally understand your frustrations, but you could not skip the removing conditions stage. Had you never filed the I751, that would mean you are abondoning the GC, and would not be eligible for citizenship.

12140.gif

Filed: Country: South Africa
Timeline

It's good to vent and get out the frustration.

Although my case has not yet been 9 months (rather going on 7), I too have not moved past initial review on the USCIS site. I have also had to have biometrics 3 times.

It does make me despondent sometimes when I see all the approvals coming out of VSC but I try think that if it were me getting approved how happy I would be, so I try to feel some happiness for those people instead of envy.

Good luck. Hang in there and may December come soon so that you may file the N-400. The system is flawed but you are nearly at the end of your journey ~ congratulations for sticking it out & not going insane! :dance:

03-03-09 I-751 mailed to VSC

03-06-09 I-751 received at VSC

03-10-09 Check cashed

03-26-09 NOA1 received

03-30-09 Biometrics Appointment Notice

04-03-09 Can 'see' my case online USCIS

04-15-09 Biometrics Date ~ completed successfully in Atlanta

04-16-09 Touched

07-13-09 Waiting for something, anything...

07-31-09 Received my SECOND biometrics notice ...wth?

08-22-09 Second Biometrics Date ~ completed successfully in Atlanta: picture only this time

08-24-09 Touched

08-25-09 Touched

09-14-09 Received my THIRD biometrics notice

09-26-09 Will try a 'walk-in' in Atlanta ~ successful: picture only, again

09-28-09 Touched

09-29-09 Touched

09-30-09 Third Biometrics Date

12-02-09 Called USCIS: case still being processed

02-08-10 Waiting...

02-19-10 Called USCIS: Completed a service request based on my case being outside processing time

03-05-10 Info Pass scheduled in Atlanta for extension stamp in passport

03-10-10 E-mail received: Card production ordered - I can't believe it, finally! (Time = 1 year & 1 week)

03-23-10 10 Year Green Card Received

02-19-10 Eligible to file N-400

02-28-10 N-400 mailed to Texas

03-04-10 N-400 received in Texas

04-07-10 Biometrics

06-04-10 Service request

07-21-10 Interview & Oath Ceremony same day in Atlanta - Visa Journey over!

Timeline

Yes, I am certainly thankful that I can apply for citizenship in December whether or not I ever get a decision on my application for removal of conditions. But what really irritates me is the amount of time and money I have effectively wasted on the removal of conditions process. And in three months I'll have to shell out yet MORE money for a citizenship application – having received absolutely NOTHING for the last money sent to the USCIS! Believe me, I can't wait to have all this behind me.

N-400

I-130

05/03/10 NOA 1 from CSC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I submitted my app last December to Vermont, and have a January receipt date. I had my biometrics done, but after that heard nothing for several months. I made an Infopass appt over the summer and was told to keep waiting; a week later I called customer service and initiated a service request. Finally, on Sep 15, I got a letter saying that my case had been transferred to California. I've been checking status online and was shocked to see that it is still in the "under initial review" stage.

What on earth has the USCIS been doing with my case since January that they are STILL giving it the initial review?? What happened to it between January and now??? I just called the customer service line and was told that I should wait and get back in touch with them if I haven't heard anything by November 15th. I plan to apply for citizenship in December, for God's sake! If they're going to take so long to process cases, why even bother to have the removal of conditions process?? I should have just saved my money and spent it on the citizenship application! Six months processing time? Yeah, right!

I realize that others are waiting, too, but I am BEYOND annoyed at this. To have spent so much money, waited so long, and to have received absolutely no service is unacceptable to me.

Roosterwife,

I understand your frustration. I just read something about filing for naturalization that might possibly make it a little more bearable. Well, maybe it will at least make it a little less annoying that you paid for I-751 when you can apply for citizenship soon (it DOES kind of seem like a waste of money) and have yet to be approved. It states in the Guides that "the I-751 must be approved in order for you to apply for Naturalization 3 years after AOS based on marriage to a US Citizen". I imagine that in some cases, the I-751 is NOT approved, which means that person would not be allowed to get citizenship. Maybe if you think of it as step three (step 1 being the visa, step 2 is the 'green card') of the N-400 instead of a separate, unnecessary step, it would be a little easier to deal with?

Also, some people have to wait until they've had LPR for five years for citizenship, so they 'use' their ten year card longer. Some decide to wait for N-400 for whatever reason, and some decide not to apply for it at all. So for them, the I-751 isn't such a 'waste'. I can see your point, though - why can't they just make the first card a three year card, or allow for a less expensive option to bridge between the 2 year card and citizenship? I guess it would be impractical, and they want to make sure that the conditions are met before approving citizenship.

Either way, I hope this makes it a little more bearable for you. I also hope we see you adding your approval to the list soon!

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Timeline

Roosterwife,

I understand your frustration. I just read something about filing for naturalization that might possibly make it a little more bearable. Well, maybe it will at least make it a little less annoying that you paid for I-751 when you can apply for citizenship soon (it DOES kind of seem like a waste of money) and have yet to be approved. It states in the Guides that "the I-751 must be approved in order for you to apply for Naturalization 3 years after AOS based on marriage to a US Citizen". I imagine that in some cases, the I-751 is NOT approved, which means that person would not be allowed to get citizenship. Maybe if you think of it as step three (step 1 being the visa, step 2 is the 'green card') of the N-400 instead of a separate, unnecessary step, it would be a little easier to deal with?

Also, some people have to wait until they've had LPR for five years for citizenship, so they 'use' their ten year card longer. Some decide to wait for N-400 for whatever reason, and some decide not to apply for it at all. So for them, the I-751 isn't such a 'waste'. I can see your point, though - why can't they just make the first card a three year card, or allow for a less expensive option to bridge between the 2 year card and citizenship? I guess it would be impractical, and they want to make sure that the conditions are met before approving citizenship.

Either way, I hope this makes it a little more bearable for you. I also hope we see you adding your approval to the list soon!

venusfire

Thanks so much for your words, Venusfire. They've really helped calm me down!

N-400

I-130

05/03/10 NOA 1 from CSC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.