WeatherEmperor

Visits

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hey guys,

I have been doing a lot of studying at VJ the past couple of weeks or so. Thu and I have decided to back off the I-129F petition......for now. We are not ready yet. We have known each other for almost 2 months which is still very early. We met in Singapore and I have yet to make my first trip to VN (she lives in Tay Ninh). Basically we are discussing about having an engagement ceremony in VN in February next year. That will be my first trip to VN. After the ceremony, we plan to file the I-129F for the K1. I am a little bit worried that 1 trip to VN will not be enough for the HCMC consulate....if our application will ever get that far. Thu and I are trying to make some adjustments to our plans for the K1. We basically want to do everything.....or as much as possible before filing the I-129F. We already have the initial meeting in Singapore, then we plan to have the engagement ceremony in VN. I am hoping to take some more trips to Tay Ninh after that but I cannot get a lot of vacation time. Only 2 paid weeks per year *ouch*. My question is, should 1 visit to VN be enough or do I need more? I want all these trips and ceremonies to take place before I file. This way I can submit everything to the USCIS before HCMC ever sees it. Are Thu and I on the right path or should we make some more tweaks to our plans?

<CARRICK>

K1 Visa Stage
Aug 23, 2010: I-129F NOA 1
Feb 07, 2011: I-129F NOA 2
May 23, 2011: Interview. Blue Slip
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 06, 2012: Submitted updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 21, 2012: Received K1 Visa
Apr 07, 2012: Point of Entry @ LAX

Adjustment of Status Stage
Apr 23, 2012: Got married!
Apr 30, 2012: Received Social Security Card
Jun 30, 2012: Applied for AOS
Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

May 01, 2013: Received 2yr GC

Removal of Conditions Stage

Apr 18, 2015: Will apply for 10yr GC

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

I have been doing a lot of studying at VJ the past couple of weeks or so. Thu and I have decided to back off the I-129F petition......for now. We are not ready yet. We have known each other for almost 2 months which is still very early. We met in Singapore and I have yet to make my first trip to VN (she lives in Tay Ninh). Basically we are discussing about having an engagement ceremony in VN in February next year. That will be my first trip to VN. After the ceremony, we plan to file the I-129F for the K1. I am a little bit worried that 1 trip to VN will not be enough for the HCMC consulate....if our application will ever get that far. Thu and I are trying to make some adjustments to our plans for the K1. We basically want to do everything.....or as much as possible before filing the I-129F. We already have the initial meeting in Singapore, then we plan to have the engagement ceremony in VN. I am hoping to take some more trips to Tay Ninh after that but I cannot get a lot of vacation time. Only 2 paid weeks per year *ouch*. My question is, should 1 visit to VN be enough or do I need more? I want all these trips and ceremonies to take place before I file. This way I can submit everything to the USCIS before HCMC ever sees it. Are Thu and I on the right path or should we make some more tweaks to our plans?

<CARRICK>

More trips the better. If you can only make 1 take LOTS of pics with you, her family and friends.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hey guys,

<CARRICK>

If you marry before you file the K1 or marry after you haved started, then your case is out. K1 means fiance visa; and should remain a fiance until your spouce make POE, then you have 90 days to do so. On the other hand, if you marry before you start the filing process, then K3 or CR1 would be the visa to file for.

If you can make a trip over there it would be beneficial to your case.

JNR

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You two have been doing some reading here on VJ. Spend some time and read back a year or more is this regional forum to see stories from as many couples as possible to help you plan for the petition.

It will be your first trip to VN, but your second meeting. A good thing. Don't forget that isn't about only trips to Vietnam, it's about the entirety of your relationship.

As you go forward be sure to keep all evidence of your continuing relationship. Save calling cards if that is how you talk on the phone. Be sure to log any chats. Any packages, mail, etc. that are sent between the two of you should be kept.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

I made only one trip to see my now wife in Vietnam and that was after we had been introduced and known each other for about 3 months. While I was there we had am engagement party right before I left and I put in for a visa right when I returned. I got the visa for her and she entered the states and we married within a few days when she arrived. One trip was enough for me.

Timeline

Calling cards. That is a great idea! I cannot believe Thu and I did not think about that. hahaha. We were both worried about running up our phone bills, that we basically just chat every single day with Yahoo Messenger and emails too. (dont worry. we archive every single chat and email). So basically I can keep a photo copy of the phone calling cards and submit that as evidence? Awesome. I learn something every day :) I will take your advice. Trust me!

<CARRICK>

You two have been doing some reading here on VJ. Spend some time and read back a year or more is this regional forum to see stories from as many couples as possible to help you plan for the petition.

It will be your first trip to VN, but your second meeting. A good thing. Don't forget that isn't about only trips to Vietnam, it's about the entirety of your relationship.

As you go forward be sure to keep all evidence of your continuing relationship. Save calling cards if that is how you talk on the phone. Be sure to log any chats. Any packages, mail, etc. that are sent between the two of you should be kept.

K1 Visa Stage
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.

Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

Timeline
Calling cards. That is a great idea! I cannot believe Thu and I did not think about that. hahaha. We were both worried about running up our phone bills, that we basically just chat every single day with Yahoo Messenger and emails too. (dont worry. we archive every single chat and email). So basically I can keep a photo copy of the phone calling cards and submit that as evidence? Awesome. I learn something every day :) I will take your advice. Trust me!

<CARRICK>

Check out the cards before you buy them, and make sure you can get logs of the calls made. Without logs, the cards themselves prove only that you bought calling cards, and not that you used them to communicate with your fiancee. After you choose a card and buy, try getting a log after you've made a few calls with it. If it works, then buy more of the same cards. With some cards you can access your call log on a website.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Surprisingly me and my fiancee at the time never used calling cards or even the phone but only rarely. We always used the yahoo messenger and cam and just kept the logs from that and never submitted any phone records and we were fine.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

One trip should be enough, don't buy into all the horror stories you read about on here. Some are real and others people tend to "make real" to suit their own worries. If you use yahoo, submit the chat logs with your petition, and also on your time line make sure that you mention that quite often. If you both have a web cam, when you chat have her take a screen shot of her monitor or yours, this will show her face on yahoo your current chat as well as a time for length that you have been talking with voice. Take as many photos as possible and not of the both of you, but you and her family, and both of you and her family, take photos of the things you do together as well if you go to the Zoo or something have someone take photos of you in front of animals or on the streets of the city. All of this is good to do, but make sure you do have plenty of the two of you. I would submit the chat log with the dates, and then also submit some of the chats as well and if you start to use screen shot put some of them in as well. Each case is different, so no matter how bad one persons story is this does not mean yours will be like theirs. Good luck with your journey, and as Anh Map said, look back to all the posts, don't throw all your weight with one or two posts, and remember each case is different and we are all here for you if you need us.

Jerome and Binh

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline

So Jerome...you ended up buying that 3rd trip ticket afterall eh? :) Have fun!

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

Timeline

Thank you guys. Great advice all around. One question though. If any of you have any experience with Yahoo Messenger. There is an option to Archive all of your conversations. I do have that option setup. But to make it easier to print these, I copy and paste the IM conversations between Thu and myself into a Microsoft Word document and save it there. Is this a good idea to do that? What I plan to do is, when I am ready to file the I-129F, I will print all the pages (I estimate over 1,000 pages by that time) and then I will print a short statement certifying that all the information in the conversations are true and to the best of my knowledge and then sign it and Thu sign it as well. How do you call that, a sworn affidavit or something? Is this a good idea or should I try something different?

BTW, Jerome for how long are you planning to visit VN next month?

<CARRICK>

K1 Visa Stage

Filed: Timeline

OP,

The answer to your question depends on your specific situation. Are you two both still single and never been married/divorced before? How were you two introduced to each other? Any of her relatives living in the USA at the moment?

You see my drift? If your case has more complications, then you need to make more trips. More importantly, time the trips farther apart. You need to convince the CO that your trips are intended to "get to know" your s/o better and eventually lead to the decision to make her your life partner.

First trip= getting to know each other

Second trip= being introduced to her family. Getting to know each other more......etc

Third trip= Engagement

Fourth trip= timing this trip around a Holiday, like Christmas or Lunar New year. She's now your s/o. Prove it so to the CO.

Now is the right time to file your paperwork. Make sure doing your timeline properly and submit it with your initial paperwork.

The CO will never fall for that song "I'm so in loved with my lady. Therefore, I have to propose to her in less than 12 months of period since the initial acquaintance."

My 2©

Just remember, life over there in VN is NOT real! Your money will be worth a LOT less once you get back over here. Back to reality, cowboy!

Timeline
The CO will never fall for that song "I'm so in loved with my lady. Therefore, I have to propose to her in less than 12 months of period since the initial acquaintance."

My 2©

I never heard of that song...lol...j/k w/ ya...but I really have never heard of that song if it is a real song... :);)

OP,

The answer to your question depends on your specific situation. Are you two both still single and never been married/divorced before? How were you two introduced to each other? Any of her relatives living in the USA at the moment?

You see my drift? If your case has more complications, then you need to make more trips. More importantly, time the trips farther apart. You need to convince the CO that your trips are intended to "get to know" your s/o better and eventually lead to the decision to make her your life partner.

Second trip= being introduced to her family. Getting to know each other more......etc

Third trip= Engagement

Fourth trip= timing this trip around a Holiday, like Christmas or Lunar New year. She's now your s/o. Prove it so to the CO.

Now is the right time to file your paperwork. Make sure doing your timeline properly and submit it with your initial paperwork.

My 2©

I think you've got sound advice. Albeit might not always be the case, but I think this poster's on the right tracks (thinking as a CO...)

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

Timeline
Thank you guys. Great advice all around. One question though. If any of you have any experience with Yahoo Messenger. There is an option to Archive all of your conversations. I do have that option setup. But to make it easier to print these, I copy and paste the IM conversations between Thu and myself into a Microsoft Word document and save it there. Is this a good idea to do that? What I plan to do is, when I am ready to file the I-129F, I will print all the pages (I estimate over 1,000 pages by that time) and then I will print a short statement certifying that all the information in the conversations are true and to the best of my knowledge and then sign it and Thu sign it as well. How do you call that, a sworn affidavit or something? Is this a good idea or should I try something different?

BTW, Jerome for how long are you planning to visit VN next month?

<CARRICK>

I would try to get the archive format only. Any one can make up chat logs. I would just save them weekly or how ever often they do not save, also maybe contact yahoo and ask for help, they should help you with no problems at all. I know it might be a pain, but it is the best way, you can also email them to yourself I think and this would also save them.

I plan on leaving the 7th of October, so I will be there the 8th about midnight and then I leave at 6 am on the 27th so I will be there for a full 18 days I think this time. If you want me to take something hurry and tell me I can get you my address, I will have extra room, I am taking some things for Houng and I will be in HCMC we are planning on going to Di Nang or how ever it is spelled lol

Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline
OP,

Third trip= Engagement

My 2©

This is good advice, but let your heart tell you what to do. Each case is different, I do not know many people that get over a month of vacation each year just to make 4 trips, and besides that if you already are in love, it would be heck waiting that long to even file for the visa. Also with the current american economy not many people can risk taking that much time off from work, so if you do go only one time, make it as long as humanly possible. I am lucky, or unlucky, the only reason I have been able to make this third trip and the second was because of a work injury. I am currently off on worker's comp waiting for surgery. But as I said, do what you can do, and then follow your heart, some people get buy with one trip, if they had to have 2 or 3 or even 4 then it would be a requirement for that many trips, also you have already met in person and you could actually already have filed for the K1 fiancee visa, you just have to have met 1 time within 2 years prior to filing for the k1 visa, and there is a loop hole around that rule. I do not know anyone personally that has used that loop hole and got a visa or let alone used it to file, but it is there for a reason. If your love is real and you make enough money you should be able to get her over here without any problems on a k1 visa. Good luck!

Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.