ms_jinga_lala

VFS Details

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

My fiancee is very shy. He's nervous about if there is a woman at the counter taking his papers, he's nervous they may speak Hindi to him (even though he speaks hindi)....in short he's a nervous wreck. To calm his fears I promised to ask here for personal experiences with the VFS. What I want to know is are there mostly women employed there? Do they speak the native language of the state, multiple languages or just Hindi? How long do you have to wait to be seen usually? Do they allow/permit/accept/deny for anyone to come to the window/counter with you? Do they look through the documents to double check that you have them all? Do they ask a lot of questions? And last, do they itemize the documents you bring in to give you a receipt or just take them and your money? Do they look through the documents to double check that you have them all? Do they ask a lot of questions? As many details as you can provide are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!

January 2009 - K-1 Denied by the consulate

January 2011 - Moved to India - Yikes!

October 2011 - DCF filing rejected by overzealous employee at the embassy

December 2011 - Tourist visa denied (not surprising)

March 2012 - CR1/IR1 process started

May 1, 2012 - RFE and some of our information was entered into the computer wrong by the CSC

Read about all the shenanigans of my relationship at American Punjaban PI

Timeline

please click 'review: embassy/uscis' (http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/) at top of the page. top right. and then select india - and you'll find all the details about embassy visits.

Edited by CTRL+ALT+DEL

I-129: December'08

NAO1: December'08

RFE: April'09

NAO2-email: July'09

NA02-HardCopy: July'09

NVC->Embassy: July'09

Packet 3:July'09

Interview: september 17

Visa on hand: October 9

-_-

Arrival to US:

Filing for GC: November'09

GC on hand: March'10

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
please click 'review: embassy/uscis' (http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/) at top of the page. top right. and then select india - and you'll find all the details about embassy visits.

:bonk: she asked for VFS not embassy/consulate.

Anyways OP, from what I can tell you about my experience, no one other than the applicant is allowed to enter VFS office.

-- Immigrant visa holders and non-immigrant visa holders are separated.

--There are only 3 IV windows at least at Mumbai VFS.

--They double check every document the applicant has submitted, sometimes the applicant might be asked to take photocopy of certain document, there is a photocopier machine within the building.

-- They spoke with me in English, but I did see the gentleman next to me was conversed in Hindi.

-- How much time it takes? It takes time, because they go through all the documents of the IV applicant, I went through IR-1 visa, so took me only 15 minutes but I had to wait for around 2 hours before I got a call to come to the window. Since your fiance is going through K-1, it will take around half an hour or more is my assumption. How long will he have to wait before his call.......well that will depend upon how many people came to VFS before him.

--Ask him to be relaxed, this isn't the actual interview, VFS Mumbai people were really cool, they don't interview you, their job is to verify all the documents have been submitted correctly or not.

--Yes they will give your fiance a receipt, make sure he keeps it safely because he will need to show that same receipt on the day of his interview, also if he wishes to collect his VISA approved passport from VFS, he will have to show that receipt again.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
My fiancee is very shy. He's nervous about if there is a woman at the counter taking his papers, he's nervous they may speak Hindi to him (even though he speaks hindi)....in short he's a nervous wreck. To calm his fears I promised to ask here for personal experiences with the VFS. What I want to know is are there mostly women employed there? Do they speak the native language of the state, multiple languages or just Hindi? How long do you have to wait to be seen usually? Do they allow/permit/accept/deny for anyone to come to the window/counter with you? Do they look through the documents to double check that you have them all? Do they ask a lot of questions? And last, do they itemize the documents you bring in to give you a receipt or just take them and your money? Do they look through the documents to double check that you have them all? Do they ask a lot of questions? As many details as you can provide are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!

Hi ms_jinga_lala,

I've called the VFS myself and know for fact that they speak both Hindi and English, so no worries, And yes, there are women working there. But tell him not to worry, they won't bite! :)

They will tell you what to hand them in order, then write down each and every item you've submitted and will give you a reciept of same.

The VFS is not the Embassy, they are a courier service that you are paying with 'your' money. So I don't see them telling someone that they can't accompany them to the counter.

K-1 Visa

Consulate : New Delhi, India

I-129F Sent : 2008-03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-03-20

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-05-22

NVC Received : 2008-05-29

NVC Left : 2008-06-05

Consulate Received : 2008-06

Packet 3 Received : 2008-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-07

Packet 4 Received : 2008-07-16

Interview Date : 2008-08-25

August 25, 2008- Placed on A.P.

December 17, 2008- Petition Returned to USCIS for further review.

February 4, 2009- Received notice the USCIS has received returned petition.

June 4, 2009- Petition Reaffirmed by USCIS.

July 10, 2009- NVC sent Reaffirmed petition back to U.S.Embassy, New Delhi.

August 10, 2009- Embassy notified via email that they've received the Re-affirmed petition assigned with a 'new' case number as well as mailed Packet 3.

August 20, 2009- Embassy sent as an email attachment, the DS-230, Applicants Statement and Cover letter to Packet 3.

August 20, 2009- Mailed and Emailed request letter to Embassy to extend validity date of petition.

August 25, 2009 - Embassy received request to extend validity letter.

Sept 2, 2009- Embassy confirmed their receipt of the completed DS-230 and Applicants Statement.

October 29, 2009- 2nd Interview date- Visa Approved!

November 4th, 2009- Received Passport with Visa intact!

December 4th, 2009- Fiance arrived in U.S. - MARRIED Dec. 7th!

February 23rd-Mailed AOS Packet

March 3rd, 2010-Check Cashed

March 6th, 2010-Received AOS Receipt Notice

March 29th, 2010-Biometrics

Sept. 14, 2010-GC Interview -Approved!

Timeline

Thank you both!! That was very helpful. He's so cute when he's nervous, but at the same time I can't leave him suffering lol. I think now that he knows what is going to happen he will be ok. If I could afford to stay there for the entire visa process I would then he wouldn't have to worry so much.

May 1, 2012 - RFE and some of our information was entered into the computer wrong by the CSC

Timeline
Thank you both!! That was very helpful. He's so cute when he's nervous, but at the same time I can't leave him suffering lol. I think now that he knows what is going to happen he will be ok. If I could afford to stay there for the entire visa process I would then he wouldn't have to worry so much.

Don't we all wish that, that we could be there for the entire visa process... Yeah, I just talked to another VJ'er here who's leaving on a plane tomorrow afternoon to India. She gets to be there throughout the entire process, thanks to her supportive parents. There's also another VJ'er who's already there with her fiance for support as well. I envy them both.

If you don't mind my asking, when is your interview date? Ours is Oct. 29th.

K-1 Visa

August 10, 2009- Embassy notified via email that they've received the Re-affirmed petition assigned with a 'new' case number as well as mailed Packet 3.

August 20, 2009- Embassy sent as an email attachment, the DS-230, Applicants Statement and Cover letter to Packet 3.

August 20, 2009- Mailed and Emailed request letter to Embassy to extend validity date of petition.

Sept 2, 2009- Embassy confirmed their receipt of the completed DS-230 and Applicants Statement.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

k.loveh - you talking about me???? :P

Not only can you go to VFS and to the window at VFS with your husband, you can do it for him if you have everything they are requesting [including his passport and a copy of his passport].

The women there are nice and professional. There were a couple of men working there too the times I visited but women were working the windows.

They won't get very in detail with asking info - they have a little check list that they will read aloud and he just needs to hand over each item(s) as requested.

Good luck with the interview and we're here if you need more help!

Edited by catknit

Timeline

Anyways OP, from what I can tell you about my experience, no one other than the applicant is allowed to enter VFS office.

--They double check every document the applicant has submitted, sometimes the applicant might be asked to take photocopy of certain document, there is a photocopier machine within the building.

-- They spoke with me in English, but I did see the gentleman next to me was conversed in Hindi.

-- How much time it takes? It takes time, because they go through all the documents of the IV applicant, I went through IR-1 visa, so took me only 15 minutes but I had to wait for around 2 hours before I got a call to come to the window. Since your fiance is going through K-1, it will take around half an hour or more is my assumption. How long will he have to wait before his call.......well that will depend upon how many people came to VFS before him.

--Ask him to be relaxed, this isn't the actual interview, VFS Mumbai people were really cool, they don't interview you, their job is to verify all the documents have been submitted correctly or not.

--Yes they will give your fiance a receipt, make sure he keeps it safely because he will need to show that same receipt on the day of his interview, also if he wishes to collect his VISA approved passport from VFS, he will have to show that receipt again.

Since we are on this topic I thought I would ask you a question as well. We are in the CR-1 route and I received the interview letter for Nov 5 for my wife, and the only thing they requested was the Passport PCC at the time of interview. So should my wife take that to VFS photo copy and original? Will they take it there or will she just need to take it with her to the interview? Also should she take a photocopy of both the I-864 and DS-230 with her to the VFS? Do they take the medical package at the VFS (medical report and x-rays) or does she take that to interview as well?

Thanks

12/07/2009 - POE LAX

12/16/2009 - Received GC in mail

Removal Of Conditions 09-09-2011

09-09-2011 : Mailed ROC packet

09-12-2011 : Packet Arrived CSC (delayed from labor day long weekend)

09-14-2011 : Check Cashed

09-14-2011 : NOA1 dated 09-12-2011

09-19-2011 : Early walk-in Biometrics completed (Original date 10/03/2011)

02-07-2012 : Green Card Approved

02-11-2012 : Green Card Received

Citizenship

09-07-2012 : Mailed N-400 package

09-10-2012 : N-400 Package delivered

09-13-2012 : Check cashed, email and text received with case number

09-14-2012 : Biometrics letter mailed

09-15-2012 : NOA received dated 09-10

09-17-2012 : Biometrics letter received for 09-27

02-25-2013 : Interview Passed - Original interview was 01-07-2013 but was out of country so postponed

Timeline

Since we are on this topic I thought I would ask you a question as well. We are in the CR-1 route and I received the interview letter for Nov 5 for my wife, and the only thing they requested was the Passport PCC at the time of interview. So should my wife take that to VFS photo copy and original? Will they take it there or will she just need to take it with her to the interview? Also should she take a photocopy of both the I-864 and DS-230 with her to the VFS? Do they take the medical package at the VFS (medical report and x-rays) or does she take that to interview as well?

Thanks

The medical report will be submitted at the interview itself. Though you 'can' submit all other doc's at time of interview, it would not be advisable. No. 1-You will still be required to pay the fee's and No. 2- The embassy will have more opportunity to 'review' them if you submit them at VFS whereas, it is hit and miss if you take them to the interview because the CO may or may have the time to look at them. VFS is most definately the better route!

Edited by k.loveh

K-1 Visa

Timeline

Thanks

The PCC's are also sumbitted via the VFS.

K-1 Visa

Timeline
k.loveh - you talking about me???? :P

Did you recognise yourself in that statement? :) Yeap, I was talking about you! :)

Not only can you go to VFS and to the window at VFS with your husband, you can do it for him if you have everything they are requesting [including his passport and a copy of his passport].

The women there are nice and professional. There were a couple of men working there too the times I visited but women were working the windows.

They won't get very in detail with asking info - they have a little check list that they will read aloud and he just needs to hand over each item(s) as requested.

Good luck with the interview and we're here if you need more help!

Catknit is right, we are here if you need more help! :)

Edited by k.loveh

K-1 Visa

Timeline
The medical report will be submitted at the interview itself. Though you 'can' submit all other doc's at time of interview, it would not be advisable. No. 1-You will still be required to pay the fee's and No. 2- The embassy will have more opportunity to 'review' them if you submit them at VFS whereas, it is hit and miss if you take them to the interview because the CO may or may have the time to look at them. VFS is most definately the better route!

Agree :thumbs: Also I submitted my medical at VFS, they don't take the x-ray report, actually they don't take the X-ray report anywhere, just the medical report.

Your wife should only take photocopies of DS-230 package, not the i-864 for VFS. But on the interview date, let her take photocopies of everything, from i-130, i-864 and ds-230, because you never know what they might question for and its good if she has things handy. Also all the relationship proofs should be saved for the interview, VFS won't take any of those.

Timeline

Agree :thumbs: Also I submitted my medical at VFS, they don't take the x-ray report, actually they don't take the X-ray report anywhere, just the medical report.

Your wife should only take photocopies of DS-230 package, not the i-864 for VFS. But on the interview date, let her take photocopies of everything, from i-130, i-864 and ds-230, because you never know what they might question for and its good if she has things handy. Also all the relationship proofs should be saved for the interview, VFS won't take any of those.

Thank You K.loveh and Trinket for the help.

12/07/2009 - POE LAX

12/16/2009 - Received GC in mail

Removal Of Conditions 09-09-2011

09-09-2011 : Mailed ROC packet

09-12-2011 : Packet Arrived CSC (delayed from labor day long weekend)

09-14-2011 : Check Cashed

09-14-2011 : NOA1 dated 09-12-2011

09-19-2011 : Early walk-in Biometrics completed (Original date 10/03/2011)

02-07-2012 : Green Card Approved

02-11-2012 : Green Card Received

Citizenship

09-07-2012 : Mailed N-400 package

09-10-2012 : N-400 Package delivered

09-13-2012 : Check cashed, email and text received with case number

09-14-2012 : Biometrics letter mailed

09-15-2012 : NOA received dated 09-10

09-17-2012 : Biometrics letter received for 09-27

02-25-2013 : Interview Passed - Original interview was 01-07-2013 but was out of country so postponed

Timeline

Don't we all wish that, that we could be there for the entire visa process... Yeah, I just talked to another VJ'er here who's leaving on a plane tomorrow afternoon to India. She gets to be there throughout the entire process, thanks to her supportive parents. There's also another VJ'er who's already there with her fiance for support as well. I envy them both.

I don't have an interview date yet. We just got our NOA2 a few days ago. I'm expecting our interview sometime in December or later depending on how long the wait is in Delhi and how fast they catch up before then.

Timeline

I don't have an interview date yet. We just got our NOA2 a few days ago. I'm expecting our interview sometime in December or later depending on how long the wait is in Delhi and how fast they catch up before then.

Ahh, I see. Well, it's good that you're trying your best to keep on top of things. And yes, Dec. sounds like a fair enough guess. In the meantime, go to the embassy website and print out those Packet 3 documents and begin working on them now, especially the PCC from the passport office as this seems to take the longest to get.

Then when you get the Packet 3, and you have everything together, you'll be all ready and thus able to send them back the DS-230 and Applicants statement right away. Then soon after, (maybe 1-2 weeks later), you'll get the Packet 4 with your interview date. Yay! :)

The Key though, is to work on Packet 3 check list asap. :)

My best wishes for you and your SO.

K-1 Visa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.