CanTex

Dental Work

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, I should go every six months, I've been busy with USCIS alright? So it's been 1.6 years. 1 hour (almost) for a cleaning. Get my new toothbrush, floss and I'm out of there. $301.00. R U serious? Wellllll, there was 3 units of scaling = $191; Polishing = $30.00; Flouride = $60.00 and okay I broke down and bought an electric toothbrush for $20 (all the rage these days u know ). Holy frig.

My fiance, in Texas, goes in - gets his scaling, polishing and flouoride for $60.00. W.T. F?

I'm in Alberta. Anyone else pay these outrageous fees?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Okay, I should go every six months, I've been busy with USCIS alright? So it's been 1.6 years. 1 hour (almost) for a cleaning. Get my new toothbrush, floss and I'm out of there. $301.00. R U serious? Wellllll, there was 3 units of scaling = $191; Polishing = $30.00; Flouride = $60.00 and okay I broke down and bought an electric toothbrush for $20 (all the rage these days u know ). Holy frig.

My fiance, in Texas, goes in - gets his scaling, polishing and flouoride for $60.00. W.T. F?

Does your fiance have dental insurance by any chance? Not every employer offers it, but its good to have. Dental work is by no means cheap here in the US either, but dental insurance sure helps a bit.

6/27/2009 Married after being together almost 2 years

USCIS Journey

I-130 package sent - 8/5/2009

I-130 package received - 8/9/2009

Check cleared my bank - 8/17/2009

NOA1 - 8/12/2009

NOA2 - 9/11/2009

NOA2 hard copy received - 9/18/2009

NVC Journey

NVC Received : 9/28/2009

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 10/2/2009

Pay I-864 Bill : 10/5/2009

Receive I-864 Package : 10/7/2009

Return Completed I-864 : 10/9/2009

Return Completed DS-3032 : 10/6/2009

Receive IV Bill : 10/20/2009

Pay IV Bill : 10/22/2009

Return Completed DS-230 Package : 10/26/2009

Log-In Fail: 11/6/2009

Case Completed at NVC : 11/9/2009

Received Interview date: 1/22/2010

Medical Exam: 2/23/2010 at 1:30 p.m. - yep he went for the latest possible appointment......

Interview date: 3/1/2010 APPROVED!!!!!

POE: 3/8/2010 - Thousand Islands

Timeline

He must have insurance!! I just had a check up (here in VA) not too long ago, and the estimate would be more than what you paid. I just have a $50 co pay

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do you have supplemental insurance to help you out while you are in Alberta? In Ontario, if I had not had the supplemental insurance from my work place, I would have been paying that too.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Those are pretty standard fees, not outrageous at all. I used to work at an insurance company and entered dental claims.

For Dental services each service has a particular rate or by which tooth it's done on and that's what they submit to the Insurance company. If you don't have insurance, you pay the full price. If you have insurance, the insurance company will pay the dentist back what they consider 'reasonable and customary' for a particuler service no matter what the dentist submits cost-wise.

No insurance puts you at a disadvantage because they can charge you what they want....hope the explanation above makes sense

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thats pretty much the standard cost with no insurance. My mom used to work for a dentist for many years and everything there is so expensive.

I have to go next week for my 6 month cleaning and I KNOW i have 2 cavities so that right there is going to run me a little over 300$ just for that.

I also decided to go ahead and whiten my teeth before the wedding day and all that good stuff and that is going to run me about 300$ as well. But at least with the whitening I am having a mold done of my mouth so if i ever want to whiten them again I have the mold and just need to buy the special gel from my dentist.

Timeline
Ouch. I'm glad my FIL is my dentist.

NICEEE. I wish I had that kind of connection.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
Ouch. I'm glad my FIL is my dentist.

NICEEE. I wish I had that kind of connection.

I often tell hubby that's the only reason I married him. :lol:

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

There are alternatives to the normal dentist, but at what price?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Dental/story?...0312&page=1

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Timeline
Those "outrageous fees" are only paid if you don't have supplemental dental insurance. It's the same on both sides of the border.

True. I would have paid about 50 for the same in Alberta, with supplemental from Blue Cross.

Here, I would pay about yes, 300. WITH the best darn insurance in the state of Washington. :hehe:

Go figure.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

All I can say is, "Drill, Baby, Drill." :P

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.