20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi

I'm pretty new here and joined a few days ago. I haven't sent in the petition yet, but I will be happy to update my timeline when I do.

I had a few quick questions -- particularly about the interview process. I've hired immigration lawyers to help with the forms and necessary paperwork as I really want it to go smoothly. Being that I want to be with my fiancee as soon as possible I really just don't want any mistakes. I'm probably the over-paranoid type and would always wonder if I didn't dot the "i" correctly.

In any case, my general question is regarding the evidence. My fiancee and I met in a U.S. university and have been in a serious relationship for over 2 years. We've known each other for much longer. We have records of e-mails, phone calls, friends are willing to write letters on our behalf, etc. However, we don't really take many pictures. We have some that we collected from our friends and they are decently substantial. However, we're not the types to ask the waiter to take a picture of us, or bring a camera wherever we go, (e.g. when visiting family for Thanksgiving). Do you think this will be an issue? I can supply whatever else they would like to see and I love her very much, so I just want to be sure that we are preparing in advance for every step of this journey.

Thanks to VJ and all its members in advance --- it has been very helpful to have a community of people going through the same issues.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Hi

I'm pretty new here and joined a few days ago. I haven't sent in the petition yet, but I will be happy to update my timeline when I do.

I had a few quick questions -- particularly about the interview process. I've hired immigration lawyers to help with the forms and necessary paperwork as I really want it to go smoothly. Being that I want to be with my fiancee as soon as possible I really just don't want any mistakes. I'm probably the over-paranoid type and would always wonder if I didn't dot the "i" correctly.

In any case, my general question is regarding the evidence. My fiancee and I met in a U.S. university and have been in a serious relationship for over 2 years. We've known each other for much longer. We have records of e-mails, phone calls, friends are willing to write letters on our behalf, etc. However, we don't really take many pictures. We have some that we collected from our friends and they are decently substantial. However, we're not the types to ask the waiter to take a picture of us, or bring a camera wherever we go, (e.g. when visiting family for Thanksgiving). Do you think this will be an issue? I can supply whatever else they would like to see and I love her very much, so I just want to be sure that we are preparing in advance for every step of this journey.

Thanks to VJ and all its members in advance --- it has been very helpful to have a community of people going through the same issues.

Pictures are great ways to prove that you have obviously met in person, but they only help tell part of the story and the USCIS knows that. It is possible to have your petition approved without pictures. However, e-mails and phone calls do not prove that you have satisfied the requirement of having met in person in the last two years, and that is really what the USCIS is looking for. It may very well be an issue, particularly if she was in the US for long periods of time for school rather than visiting you specifically. You will need to think of concrete ways to prove you both met in the last two years. I suggest copies of University transcripts or letters from the dean which prove you were at the same school at the same time may help-did you take any classes together, were you involved in any student groups with each other, that sort of thing? It can but make your case stronger.

Good luck!

Hi

Pictures are great ways to prove that you have obviously met in person, but they only help tell part of the story and the USCIS knows that. It is possible to have your petition approved without pictures. However, e-mails and phone calls do not prove that you have satisfied the requirement of having met in person in the last two years, and that is really what the USCIS is looking for. It may very well be an issue, particularly if she was in the US for long periods of time for school rather than visiting you specifically. You will need to think of concrete ways to prove you both met in the last two years. I suggest copies of University transcripts or letters from the dean which prove you were at the same school at the same time may help-did you take any classes together, were you involved in any student groups with each other, that sort of thing? It can but make your case stronger.

Good luck!

Thanks Gwen for the quick reply. We have pictures that show we have been together over different periods from various events on campus and outside of campus. Additionally, we lived in the same dorm for 1 year, had the same group of friends, and have been living (basically together) for the past 2 years. She was here legally on another visa so we basically lived together. Hopefully this helps prove the fact since we have basically been living in the same place for the past 3 years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Thanks Gwen for the quick reply. We have pictures that show we have been together over different periods from various events on campus and outside of campus. Additionally, we lived in the same dorm for 1 year, had the same group of friends, and have been living (basically together) for the past 2 years. She was here legally on another visa so we basically lived together. Hopefully this helps prove the fact since we have basically been living in the same place for the past 3 years.

Well, then, you're good to go! I think that should be more than sufficient to fulfull the USCIS guidelines. :)

Filed: Other Timeline

This is just a little query...

Your case sounds fairly simple. Do you really feel you need to spend $$$ with an attorney? Now that you've found this website, do you not think you can put the petition together yourself?

Unless one of you has a criminal record or she overstayed that previous visa, putting together a K-1 packet is really pretty simple. Have you read the packet assembly instructions here on VJ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Sounds like you have plenty of evidence of meeting in last 2 years. That is the actually the simple part.

If your fiancee has returned to her country, you will need to keep any evidence of ongoing relationship for her interview. That is harder to prove than having met in last two years. Keep everything, envolopes with addresses, ticket stubs showing you went to her country, or her to the US, make copies of passport stamps, anything that shows you have ongoing relationship during the long period it will take to get the visa approved.

Also please fill in your timeline as it helps us help you

If everything is straight forward, a lawyer will not be able to speed up the process at all. In fact at times he will slow it down because he has other clients also. I too dont think a lawyer is needed for a simple K-1 visa. Everything you need to know is here or at the immigration/embassy sites. Now having said that it is a personal choice but for me thought it was a big waste of money.

June 05 Lisa and I fall in love

15 Mar 06 I-129F received at CSC NOA1

5 Aug 06 NOA2 after 143 days in CSC purgatory

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

16 Feb 07 Denial Letter received

12 Mar 07 Motion to reconsider submitted

10 Sep 07 Motion to Reconsider denied

9 May 08 Lisa and Married in United Kingdom

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

May 7 09 Lisa's Interview I 601 filed

29 Jul 09 I-601 waiver approved

18 Aug 09 Passport to London Embassy

20 Aug 09 Tickets purchased for 10 Sep 09

WE HAVE FINALLY WON, OUR LONG AND HARD JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!!!!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I have to agree with rebecca here...most of us here do just fine without the aid of an attorney. That money spent on an attorney could very well be used in other areas...this journey ain't cheap! That being said, best of luck with whatever path you choose to take. :thumbs:

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Nicodemus,

This is immigration, not a photo contest.

Yodrak

... we don't really take many pictures. We have some that we collected from our friends and they are decently substantial. However, we're not the types to ask the waiter to take a picture of us, or bring a camera wherever we go....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Now correct me if I am wrong but for the I-129F all they want to know is "have you met before" so lots of pictures etc is a good way to prove you have met.. but for the interview they want to know "do you have a real relationship" where just pictures may not substantiate your case.. ? Am I correct on this one?

Nicodemus,

This is immigration, not a photo contest.

Yodrak

... we don't really take many pictures. We have some that we collected from our friends and they are decently substantial. However, we're not the types to ask the waiter to take a picture of us, or bring a camera wherever we go....

May 1, 2006 - Submitted I-129F (Overnight) NSC

May 2, 2006 - NOA1

June 1, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

June 14, 2006 - Notice from CSC it was transferred

June 30, 2006 - Received IMBRA RFE (CSC)

July 5, 2006 - Touched (RFE Received)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED

August 5, 2006 Physical NOA2

August 15, 2006 NVC Received and Sent

August 22, 2006 AIT sent Packet 3

August 22, 2006 Packet 3 got lost in the mail... sending another.. :( :( :(

October 27, 2006 Interview

3dflagsdotcom_chtai_2fawm.gif & 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_us_co_2fawm.gif

AIT (Taiwan Embassy)

C'mon USCIS Lets get some others approved or else watch for the Trident

brick.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Absolutely. At the interview (depending on embassy and interviewer) they will ask for proof of ongoing relationship, pictures help but are not always the best evidence. Ticket stubs, passport stamp copies, letters, emails, anything you can provide, the more the better. My fiancee has a folder that all envolopes, ticket stubs, pictures, emails, etc are in and she will take that to interview.

June 05 Lisa and I fall in love

15 Mar 06 I-129F received at CSC NOA1

5 Aug 06 NOA2 after 143 days in CSC purgatory

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

16 Feb 07 Denial Letter received

12 Mar 07 Motion to reconsider submitted

10 Sep 07 Motion to Reconsider denied

9 May 08 Lisa and Married in United Kingdom

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

May 7 09 Lisa's Interview I 601 filed

29 Jul 09 I-601 waiver approved

18 Aug 09 Passport to London Embassy

20 Aug 09 Tickets purchased for 10 Sep 09

WE HAVE FINALLY WON, OUR LONG AND HARD JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!!!!!!

rebeccajo,

Nicodemus asked about the need for substantial photo evidence, not about the wisdom of having hired an attorney.

More important, do you really believe that the only potential difficulties in immigration are criminal record and overstay? Not to mention the fact that Nicodemus' case sounds fairly simple because we know almost nothing about Nicodemus, his fiancee, or the case. Maybe the case is simple. Then again, maybe it is not.

Yodrak

Your case sounds fairly simple. Do you really feel you need to spend $$$ with an attorney? Now that you've found this website, do you not think you can put the petition together yourself?

Unless one of you has a criminal record or she overstayed that previous visa, putting together a K-1 packet is really pretty simple. Have you read the packet assembly instructions here on VJ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Yeah good thing is my phone shows record of her calling me from Taiwan.. but for calling her I use a calling card which is an 800 number.. but I have my own little packet of my evidence that I am going to give to her and it will have my receipts for my phone cards showing they were bought for Taiwan .. But back on the subject that is what I thought thanks for answering .. and I think that might be where some people are lost is that they are wanting to know that there is a relationship now .. and ask personal questions at these interviews.. luckily she knows more about my family then I think I know myself.. and hope they wont ask me to pronouce her parents names cause I am not good at chinese yet.. ahhaha

Absolutely. At the interview (depending on embassy and interviewer) they will ask for proof of ongoing relationship, pictures help but are not always the best evidence. Ticket stubs, passport stamp copies, letters, emails, anything you can provide, the more the better. My fiancee has a folder that all envolopes, ticket stubs, pictures, emails, etc are in and she will take that to interview.

May 1, 2006 - Submitted I-129F (Overnight) NSC

May 2, 2006 - NOA1

June 1, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

June 14, 2006 - Notice from CSC it was transferred

June 30, 2006 - Received IMBRA RFE (CSC)

July 5, 2006 - Touched (RFE Received)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED

August 5, 2006 Physical NOA2

August 15, 2006 NVC Received and Sent

August 22, 2006 AIT sent Packet 3

August 22, 2006 Packet 3 got lost in the mail... sending another.. :( :( :(

October 27, 2006 Interview

3dflagsdotcom_chtai_2fawm.gif & 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_us_co_2fawm.gif

AIT (Taiwan Embassy)

C'mon USCIS Lets get some others approved or else watch for the Trident

brick.jpg

Like I said, Yodrak, it's just a little query. 'Query' being the operative word - where perhaps we could engage the poster conversationally and thereby learn? Hmm?

I of course realize this is not the original question but excuse me for treating this as the self-help forum that it is by ASKING A SIMPLE QUESTION.

I used my magic female radar to glean everything there is to know about their relationship. I also use it to predict when somebody who happens to be very knowledgeable and valuable around here is just looking for a fight.

I'm pretty nearly done trying to answer questions or prompt any kind of constructive thinking around here. I didn't realize this was an 'out-smarting' contest. It's getting old.

rebeccajo,

Nicodemus asked about the need for substantial photo evidence, not about the wisdom of having hired an attorney.

More important, do you really believe that the only potential difficulties in immigration are criminal record and overstay? Not to mention the fact that Nicodemus' case sounds fairly simple because we know almost nothing about Nicodemus, his fiancee, or the case. Maybe the case is simple. Then again, maybe it is not.

Yodrak

Edited by rebeccajo

Thanks all for your input. I will be filling in my timeline hopefully next week when I can send out the initial petition.

Neither of us have had any criminal or overstay charges. The reason I hired a lawyer is really as I've stated above... I'm overly paranoid and really just don't want any mistake to occur. I know I could probably be extra careful, but again, it's just a matter of being sure on everything and the immigration lawyer I hired has been in the business a long time so I felt relatively confident.

My fiancee and I met more than 3 years ago and have had a 2 year relationship. We went to the same university and worked together in the same area as well. Hopefully things will run smoothly and I can have good news about the process. I really just wanted to know about the pictures because I'm contacting all my friends from various places to obtain any pictures they have taken of us together -- just trying to see how substantial a packet of pictures are necessary as the other materials I have documented pretty well.

Thanks again for all your inputs. It is very encouraging to see a strong community that helps each other out in these definitely difficult times of being separated from our loved ones.

In regards to your original question, I would say most people only include 5 or 6 pictures in the original application package. The following things are done sometimes, but not absolutely necessary:

1) A photo infront of a 'landmark' in one or the other partners home country...

2) A photo that somehow has a date in it (theatre marquee, newspaper)...

3) A photo that also includes family members.

More photos should be taken to the actual interview. They may or may not be needed.

You don't say what country your fiance is from. Experience on VJ shows that petitions filed with certain consulates require more evidence of the relationship than others.

Regarding use of an attorney, hey if that works for you then by all means use one. Do realize though that it will not increase your processing speed - attorneys don't have inroads in the process that we don't. The thing they SHOULD provide is a full, complete petition containing all the relevant data of your case and that is free of clerical errors. If you are not a detail person then this service is invaluable.

Edited by rebeccajo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.