kml_36

got SSC but.....

76 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

hi everyone,

I posted this "on the working prior to EAD forum" but got even more confused...

You wouldnt believe my joy after getting the SSC by mail today, but the joy didnt last for long.

Maybe its a commen thing, but I'm not sure, and would very much like to get it all clarified.

On the card it says: " Valid for work only with DHS authorisation", and there is no expiration date!!

So is this a commen thing for a K1 visa, and does it mean I can start work or do I have to get EAD first!!

Doesn't a K1 visa entitle its holder to work during the 90 days of its validity??

LIFTING OF CONDITIONS

08/26/08 filling date

08/27/08 NOA1

09/12/08 Notice for BIO

10/01/08 BIO

02/04/09 RFE received

02/20/09 RFE mailed

03/03/09 APPROVED

03/16/09 NEW CARD RECEIVED

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please don't start the same topic twice ... you're likely to receive a more concise answer in one thread.

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

that's my understanding of it KML... I think you can work w/in the 90 day period, then not again (legally) till EAD is approved. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will come along to answer you... Good luck - and congrats on the SSC! :thumbs:

Noura

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Filed: Timeline
On the card it says: " Valid for work only with DHS authorisation", and there is no expiration date!!

Because Social Security cards do not expire. There have been 50 versions of the SSN card since the Social Security program began in 1936 and everyone of them are still valid.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

kml, look on the back of the I-94 in your passport. Is there a litttle stamp there that says "authorized to work until" and a date? That's the temp work authorization.

If you didn't get it when you arrived at the port of entry, you may be able to make an infopass appointment at your local USCIS service center to see about getting one. Otherwise, you'll need to wait until your real EAD has been processed.

4/15/06- Visa in hand!!!

4/21/06 Arrival in U.S.

5/11/06 Legal Marriage

11/4/06 Wedding

AOS

6/12/06 AOS, EAD, and AP papers sent off

6/26/06 NOA1 Date

7/17/06 Biometrics done

8/04/06 Case transferred to CSC

8/8/06 Case received at CSC

9/21/06 Greencard received!!!!

8/31/09 Naturalization- Done with USCIS

please don't start the same topic twice ... you're likely to receive a more concise answer in one thread.

It's a member of the ME/NA police again I see. Do you see any members here complaining about KML's post? We're happy to hear from him!

Congrats KML, by the way, how is your adjustment going?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

It's a member of the ME/NA police again I see. Do you see any members here complaining about KML's post? We're happy to hear from him!

great :idea: gimy's an :alien::whistle:

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Unless you got a Temp EAD at your POE then you can not work until you have one....

As a K1 you can aply for a EAD but it will take about 80 -90 days to get it will be valid up to the date on your I-94.... You will apply for a 1 year EAD along with your AOS and this will take between 80 -90 days as well...

The statement on your SSN means that you must have a EAD to work.... once you have become a Greencard holder you can apply for a new SSN without this statement...

Kezzie

I guess I am part of the ME/NA police as well then. I happen to believe that immigration-related topics do NOT belong in the Regional forums for obvious reasons. He stated he posted elsewhere, and I think Gimy is correct.

Happy to hear from KML as well. :star:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have found that if I post an immigration question in another place then none of the ME NA people see it, and that's whose help I always need!

I post it here cause this is where I get the answers from people who have been through the same thing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I am happy to hear from him too. Post away kml!!!

Meriem (F)

police13.gif VJ POLICE

Edited by Meriem_setif

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

I have found that if I post an immigration question in another place then none of the ME NA people see it, and that's whose help I always need!

I post it here cause this is where I get the answers from people who have been through the same thing.

why would the ME NA people need to see a post about social security and work auth?

Surely you have questions that are locale specific, but this is a stretch. It's not a big issue, I guess I just took offense to the *police* statement.

why would the ME NA people need to see a post about social security and work auth?

Surely you have questions that are locale specific, but this is a stretch. It's not a big issue, I guess I just took offense to the *police* statement.

FYI... I have not gone into the other threads seeking immigration info because SOME THINGS vary from embassy to embassy... I also look for what is happening with the processes IN THIS PART OF THE WORLD... and never have I EVER seen it stated as a rule that immigration issues are not allowed here. I thought that was what this entire Visa Journey web site was for???

I would seriously hate to see this discouraged!!!

EAD are nothing to do with embassy... by posting in a regional thread you are limiting your responces to only those who choose to come and read.... it would be much better if it was posted under "Working and travel before Greencard"......

Kezzie

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

When I wanted to know the time frame that it will take my husband to get his ssn and green card the place i posted was here in the ME/NA forum. I don't see anything wrong with KML posting this twice considering most of the people that post in the ME/NA forum have husbands who are from Morocco, and who have been there and done that. Most of the people that did answer his questions where from Morocco anyways .

Meriem that picture cracks me up :lol: So are we being policed now? Has the Middle East/North African Forum become a Police Forum now ???

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.