Matt_Stevens

Cost of Air Conditioners in Vietnam?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

What do air conditioners cost in Vietnam? What price range? Here in the USA it's easy to get models starting at 89.99, but my wife is saying her brother had to spend near $400 on one the other day and that the cheapest start around $300.

Is that possible or is my wife delusional?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
What do air conditioners cost in Vietnam? What price range? Here in the USA it's easy to get models starting at 89.99, but my wife is saying her brother had to spend near $400 on one the other day and that the cheapest start around $300.

400,000 dong...not $400.00 USD. If you go to Metro, they have a variety of models available ranging from 300,000 to 900,000 ($50.00 USD).

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

Actually that is correct. Where do you go to get an airconditioner for less than $100? The one in vn is pretty good and they range from $200--->. They also install the machine for you too. My wife just got it done and it cost around 6-7million vnd. because it includes a door because we have to get a new door, new window and close all of the little design on the wall. It's nice having airconditioner in vn. It's sucks when they cut off the power though so a power generator will be our next item. hahahahah Can't stop spending money to have a life like in America. hahahah

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Its very possible... All technology that is imported has a VAT tacked on... anything from a camera to a TV to an AC unit (usually not like the ones you are used to) can cost at a minimum 2 times what we pay here.. If supply is low the price will be even higher especially in the summer season.

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

That seems correct. In america we get a simple window unit, in Vietnam their ac's are much different, a lot better. They usually are installed as well. Binh's brother just bought a Samsung ac unit, I will ask her later the price, but I think it cost about $400. Remember it is much hotter and humid in Vietnam and most buildings are concrete.

Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline
What a p!sser. :o We are kinda broke right now, but could easily send them $150 or so, but $400... No, not right now.

They are your family, send them what you can when you can they will understand.

Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Actually that is correct. Where do you go to get an airconditioner for less than $100? The one in vn is pretty good and they range from $200--->. They also install the machine for you too. My wife just got it done and it cost around 6-7million vnd. because it includes a door because we have to get a new door, new window and close all of the little design on the wall. It's nice having airconditioner in vn. It's sucks when they cut off the power though so a power generator will be our next item. hahahahah Can't stop spending money to have a life like in America. hahahah

That's true. Most of the homes weren't designed for indoor heating or air conditioning. The doors and windows aren't sealed, and the walls often have louvered vents in them. It's also not often practical to use a window style air conditioner. It's an advertisement to thieves that the homeowner may have something of value inside (since they spent the money on an air conditioner), and they just kick the air conditioner through the window. Even the hotels usually use the two piece type, with a heat pump mounted outside, and a heat exchanger mounted on the wall inside, and two pipes going through the wall to connect the two.

I looked into the cost of fitting my fiancee's home with an air conditioner for the front room, including the construction necessary to seal the room. We got quotes ranging from $1200 to $4000, depending on the BTU capacity of the heat pump, the brand of the unit, and whether the installer knew there was an American paying for it. :wacko:

Phuong noticed that the temperature inside the house dropped by 10 degrees F when it was raining, even though the temperature outside was the same as when it wasn't raining. She correctly concluded that the water on the tin roof was cooling the house, making it act a little less like an oven. She asked a contractor to run a PVC pipe across the roof with a bunch of small holes in it. On hot days when it's not raining (yeah, they actually have a few of those in Hue) she can turn on a spigot and "drip cool" the house! She had it installed in June, and showed it to me last month. It ain't an air conditioner, but it really does make a noticeable difference. :thumbs:

She had enough money left to pave the driveway (no more feeling around for the stones on dark rainy nights), and put in a WESTERN STYLE TOILET! :D

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

you don't trust your wife, why marry her ?

CR1 timeline:

11/2008: submit I130

11/15/2008: case sent to CSC

06/02/2009: uscis approval

08/05/2009: interview-get blue slip request timeline

08/25/2009: submit timeline - get denial blue slip

Không có gì quý hơn độc lập tự do."

Tôi biết nó, thằng nói câu nói đó

Tôi biết nó, đồng bào miền Bắc này biết nó

Việc nó làm, tội nó phạm ra sao

Nó đầu tiên đem râu nó bện vào

Hình xác lão Mao lông lá

Bàn tay Nga đầy băng tuyết giá

Cũng nhoài qua lục địa Trung Hoa

Không phải xoa đầu mà túm tóc nó từ xa

Nó đứng không yên, tất bật, điên đầu

Lúc rụi vào Tàu, lúc rúc vào Nga

Nó gọi Tàu Nga là cha anh nó Và tình nguyện làm con chó nhỏ

Xông xáo giữ nhà gác ngõ cho cha anh

Timeline

I do not think it is a trust issue I think it was more of a issue if we knew a different place to get one cheaper or that he might have mis understood her.

Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

I agree with Jerome. It's not trusting or not it's smart shopping. My wife usually asks of my thought before making her mind about things. She asks me before doing the air conditioner.

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I asked my husband and he did mentioned that he believed they were 6-7 trieu...so yea, pretty expensive. But my mom just had one put in our house over there for my grandma and she only paid $200...IDK.

And I wouldn't say at the OP doesn't trust his wife, that does seem like a steep price if we're not familiar with the cost of things in a country where everything sounds inexpensive... :P

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

Folks,

Remember the old saying "You get what you pay for" ... I have not seen an AC unit that cost less than 100 bucks in VN but I am sure there are plenty of them out there that says "Made In China". Typical price for a decent unit costs around 300 bucks or more.

And don't blame Matt on being skeptical. He just lost his job and his wife's brother is asking for 400 bucks. That is just bad timing if you ask me. I am sure I would do the same if I were him.

I used to be indecisive. Now I am just not sure ...

I asked my husband and he did mentioned that he believed they were 6-7 trieu...so yea, pretty expensive. But my mom just had one put in our house over there for my grandma and she only paid $200...IDK.

And I wouldn't say at the OP doesn't trust his wife, that does seem like a steep price if we're not familiar with the cost of things in a country where everything sounds inexpensive... :P

I wouldn't say that. Imagine getting a Daewoo or a Huyndai accent for $26,000 usd and laptop for $2,000usd and not to mention the decent cell phone selling at 10million dong. Anything electronics are expensive in vietnam. Imagine the 200% tax that they have to suffer when import these items and the citizen have to pay for it. Who would buy a Daewoo or a Huyndai for that much money? I wouldn't drive those car if I don't have to. Yuk.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.