Yardies at Home and a Farrin (part 19)

6,253 posts in this topic

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Yeah...but were the results of them being "stunning and talented" as you say due to people treating them differently--being encouraged more, being provided w/ more opportunities or acceptance based on appearance, etc and as a result they were given access to more, and thus able to achieve more? Simple and plain, the overall tone of society is that they are more accepting. Because really, everyone has the potential to be stunning and talented...but are they being given encouragement and opportunities to do so. Now don't get me wrong, I know that mixed race children do get teased, and do struggle with the idea of who they can identify with, but in regards to overall acceptance, I honestly feel that the fairer skinned, mixed race child is still going to come out on top. I definitely agree with you though that it is up to the parents and family of our children to make sure that they are all talented, stunning, beautiful, and genuine. And then we will have a generation of superstars, chemists, doctors, mathematicians, whatever the color.

Interesting topic today.

Maybe it depends on the generation. I know my mother & her siblings were fair skinned (though both parents were Black). When they were in school, their big struggle was with fitting in. The White kids knew that they were Black, so they didn't accept them. The Black kids called them names like wanna-be & high yellow heifer and were mean. I think things may be different for today's children, though, since interracial relationships are more common.

Yuh see it mi too mi gyal I hated that term especially HIGH YELLOW it makes my blood a boil!!!

My father is very light and I am mocha chocolately lol...

Timeline
Again, I have to agree, just look how they charge up the prices if you want you fiance to spend the day with you at a resort. I stayed at the RIU (mobay) and they wanted to charge me 100.00 just for about 6 hrs with my fiance...after dem bastids lost my bathing suit :angry:

Thanks Ells for the congrats

Yes Ms Tee wasnt that crazy!!! When I stayed a the Riu for a few days in Mobay I got the same response.

Yes, it annoyed me

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Yes. Whether the fair-skinned or white person believes this...overall they will be looked at differently, treated differently. And if you honestly believe that this is not true, then I am sorry. I wish this were a kum-ba-yah world. But it is not. And I know first hand just from listening to the people I work with, along w/ listening to my family members (varying shades), and am currently dealing w/ it with my 9-year old godchild who has begun to deal with these remarks and/or actions in her school and community environment. Am I saying that it is as pervasive as it was in say slavery or the 50's and 60's--No...but the problem is still very relevant today. And until we are willing to acknowledge this and then work to figure out how we can eradicate this way of thinking, then it will continue to be. And rest assured, that it will happen with your children one day. Even if not by you, by someone else in society, and then...

What you are saying is very interesting to hear Mrs P, because you are the 2nd person I have heard this from in the last couple days. I was having a conversation with a black man who said almost the same thing as your first sentence. He also feels that anytime a black man wears a do-rag he is perceived as a thug, however a white man wearing a bandanna is not.

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger....

I am hotter than fish grease!!!!! This is why I never get things delivered to my home it never reach and the postman seh him deliver it hell to the no I am filing another report!!! who he deliver it to when we did deh???? :angry: :angry: :angry: Him neva bring ie!!!!!!

****ROC VSC****

Submitted I-751: 3/9/11

NOA1: 3/15/11

Biometrics Appointment:5/2/11

Early Bio Walk-In: 4/8/11

Approved: 9/23/11

Green Card Received: 9/30/11

Timeline
You're right Finesse! :thumbs: I think I said that though in the beginning because the statement was made originally in reference to interracial children. All I want is for everyone to spread the love! And knowledge. And peace. And understanding. And raise hup your pickney to love themselves no matter wha no one else says. Don't let others perception of them allow them to limit themselves and determine what they can/cannot be able to achieve! (L)

AMEN MRS P!!!!! You're going to be a great mommy. :luv:

Dat's cause yuh ave one likkle pickney wid di milk man! :lol:

Woiee!!! Finesse, where is the strap smiley for Sus? Good thing Kimmy LUV her lots!!!!

Timeline
of course i didn't explain to her then.. but as she got older and didn't like to reference things as black.. it was always brown, "im brown mama".. i laid it on her.. i didn't like where this was going....but in a world where u have comments like..ughh u sure look BLACK on the picture, ughhh stay out the sun, u getting BLACK.. what do we expect???

okay.. time to go check on my other AOS ppl and back to work..

dillon..roger went for biometrics this morning and they told him to come back at 3pm.. so im crossing my fingers.. girl if he get the EAD b4 his bday..that would be THE BEST!!!

im out yardies..

Good luck Q!

Timeline
I am hotter than fish grease!!!!! This is why I never get things delivered to my home it never reach and the postman seh him deliver it hell to the no I am filing another report!!! who he deliver it to when we did deh???? :angry: :angry: :angry: Him neva bring ie!!!!!!

It's going to be under his Christmas tree soon.....

Timeline
mstee - wha yuh doing pon di board? shouldn't you be finding some outfits fi di sexy party?boobies.gif

Lol, not yet Finesse lol. Im at work, I have class tonight. I have to present a learning center to my class, that I will present to the Kindergarteners! I wish.. At least I don't have to have anymore sexy parties with myself :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Timeline

It's going to be under his Christmas tree soon.....

Right! I always have stuff delivered to my job, its just easier, that child I have at home is useless when it comes to collecting packages :angry:

Timeline
Ha ha.....nope, it's wasn't. We went to a bar to watch the games and stayed at my house. You got a memory like a steel trap, don't you woman!!!!! :blush:

Ha I remember anything juicy… LOL

So he stayed at your house. I should have said was his bag packed LOL. Umm JG you say you stay cuz you all be watching the game but it sounds like the game was over and you still have a sleepover. Go girl!!!

Let's just say he has a closet and a dresser at my house. No need to pack a bag. We spend much more time at my house then his apartment.

I do not have cable so most games have to be watched elsewehere. It's kind of a Monday night thing we do.

There were 2 in MoBay I liked. But, yeah, neither the same as here.

Yeah I think one is in the cut right before you get downtown. I think you could eat outside if you wanted to they had a few chairs. The man sold sodas out front. The food was just o.k.

Yep. The other was near Holiday Inn Sunspree in MoBay.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.