antda

N-400: Children/Babies at Oath, Interview, and Biometrics...

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I was reading another post about spouses at the N-400 interview, and on a similar note was wondering:

Are children/babies allowed and/or required for any part of the N-400 process to be present at the local office?

Regardless, I'm bringing my baby son when I get such done (oath, interview, biometrics) later on (in the next few months or so) as:

1) I will be travelling a long distance to the city for my "local" office appointments and need my husband there for transportation and moral support purposes. And thus, there will be nobody else to babysit, so we have no other choice but to bring our son with us.

2) Who knows, maybe the immigration officer would like to see our baby for the interview (aka..'The human evidence")....

Then why not bring them with us (especially if it is required).

3) I believe that the citizenship ceremony is a family event. So shouldn't all of my family be there too, even though they are too young to know of such?

Now when I do bring my son, is there anything I should be aware of and/or make note of to others?

Any tips. ideas, suggestions, etc. as to how to deal with children (especially babies under 6 months old) when in such situations?

He's generally quite quiet and doesn't make too much of a fuss (except if he needs to be fed or needs a diaper change), so he should be ok there, right?

Thanks in advance for your replies and help. Good luck on your immigration journeys too.

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Country:
Timeline

As a parent (of 17 years) I'm always amazed at people who think they must bring all of the kids to everything.

This is not a family event, it is part of a legal process. Your young child will have no memories of this event.

Please be considerate of the others attending. Imagine the difference between a waiting from with 100 couples and a waiting room with 100 couple plus 75 children between the ages of 2 months and 5 years old.

Sure you child may be calm and quite in a controlled envonment but what about one where there are 25 2 years old running around like retarded monkeys on crack?

You should leave the baby with a close friend or relative so hubby can accompany you.

I've been on both sides of this issue and trust me you'll be better off with the baby there.

Hi Bob4Anna and Everyone,

Thanks for your reply. Believe it or not, I actually agree with you with some of the points that you have mentioned.

As much as I like children and don't mind them being in public, I understand that others might not agree with me about this issue. And I do not want to ruin others' special day because of this. So I understand it from that point of view, as well.

However, I do think that this is an important event and feel that it is important for family members to attend. And just because my child young, that doesn't mean that they should be excluded from such. True, they might not remember the event. But I will remember the event, and through photos they can remember the event later on, and with them not being there, it wouldn't be the same experience for me or my family.

On a practical basis, as I mentioned before, I do not have anyone else to babysit for my baby (except for my hubby, but he's coming with me), so even if I wanted to, I can't do such. So on that sense, I have a dilemma there...I can't just leave the baby at home!...lol...

As a happy medium, I wish the USCIS can offer the option of a "private ceremony" or "no ceremony at all" instead..(wishful thinking here..yeah right...)

Heck, I hate ceremonies and big events like that where there are crowds of people....What's the deal with the "pomp and circumstance" anyways?

Lol..We don't get cermonies when we get our driver's licenses, SSN, passports, or any other forms of government-issued idenification...

And for colleges/universities there are options to be in the ceremony, or opt out of it, and one still gets their certificate anyways...

I say, just give the certificate, and let us be on our merry way....make it easier for everyone (well for me and my family at least)...Wishful thinking....

Ant

As a parent (of 17 years) I'm always amazed at people who think they must bring all of the kids to everything.

This is not a family event, it is part of a legal process. Your young child will have no memories of this event.

Please be considerate of the others attending. Imagine the difference between a waiting from with 100 couples and a waiting room with 100 couple plus 75 children between the ages of 2 months and 5 years old.

Sure you child may be calm and quite in a controlled envonment but what about one where there are 25 2 years old running around like retarded monkeys on crack?

You should leave the baby with a close friend or relative so hubby can accompany you.

I've been on both sides of this issue and trust me you'll be better off with the baby there.

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

We brought our son to the biometrics, interview and Oath. This wasn't so much by choice. If we could have gotten a babysitter, we would have done so. It wasn't a big deal for biometrics and interview, but was somewhat problematic for the Oath Ceremony.

I really wish we could have gotten a babysitter for the Oath because I ended up out in the hallway during the ceremony because our little one got restless after an hour of waiting for the judge to show up. He spent a half hour running up and down the hall. There were at least two other dads who missed the ceremony because they were watching their kids too. My wife told me that the judge asked several parents in the courtroom to get control of their kids when they became unruly.

My two cents... bring your baby to biometrics and interview, but try to find a sitter for the oath ceremony. Otherwise your husband may wind up missing the ceremony like I did.

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Hi Jsnearline,

Thanks for sharing your family's N-400 experience with children. Sorry that you ended up missing part of your ceremony because of your child. Lol..personally I would blame the judge for that one, as why would they delay everyone else up for an hour, regardless of children. Not your child's fault for being restless..heck...even adults get restless too after waiting for so long. Seems kind of rude too that the judge told the kids to be under control, as if parents didn't know that already..lol...

Sigh..wish I could find a babysitter...meanwhile will give my husband about the warning of the ceremony...thanks for that tip/advice...hopefully he can handle our son that day...(thank goodness though, my son can't walk/run down the halls...so him being in the carseat will be ok there...)

Ant

We brought our son to the biometrics, interview and Oath. This wasn't so much by choice. If we could have gotten a babysitter, we would have done so. It wasn't a big deal for biometrics and interview, but was somewhat problematic for the Oath Ceremony.

I really wish we could have gotten a babysitter for the Oath because I ended up out in the hallway during the ceremony because our little one got restless after an hour of waiting for the judge to show up. He spent a half hour running up and down the hall. There were at least two other dads who missed the ceremony because they were watching their kids too. My wife told me that the judge asked several parents in the courtroom to get control of their kids when they became unruly.

My two cents... bring your baby to biometrics and interview, but try to find a sitter for the oath ceremony. Otherwise your husband may wind up missing the ceremony like I did.

Edited by Ant+D+A

PLEASE leave the kids home for the oath ceremony. You may blow your ceremony plus a lot of others also.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bahamas
Timeline

for the interview and oath ceremony, i will beg my best friend to watch the kids. if she is not free, i'll have to go alone, because i can't trust that they will behave. i'd rather do it alone and know they are home content, than have them sit around for countless hours in a boring place and having poor hubby try to keep them both happy and quiet. i am sure they won't care about missing the oath ceremony. if anything, we can all go for a celebratory dinner afterwards or have something nice at home.

Adjustment of Status

July 1 2006 - Sent EAD & AOS packet

Sept 19 2006 - EAD APPROVED

Sept 22 2006 - AOS APPROVED

Sept 23 2006 - EAD card arrived

Sept 29 2006 - GC arrived!!!

Removal of Conditions

Jul 9 2008 - Filed @ VSC

Feb 25 2009 - Transferred to CSC

June 20 2009 - Card production ordered

NATURALIZATION

Aug 24 2009 - Mailed N-400 priority mail

Aug 26 2009 - rec'd at TX Lockbox

Aug 27 2009 - NOA1 (rec'd 8/31)

Aug 28 2009 - check cashed

Sept 4 2009 - biometrics notice [rec'd Sept 9]

Sept 25 2009 - Biometrics

Oct 17 2009 - Email about file transfer for interview

Oct 21 2009 - Interview Letter Rec'd

Dec 8 2009 - Interview - PASSED!!!!!!

Dec 19 2009 - Oath Letter rec'd

Jan 14 2010 - OATH CEREMONY!!!!

Jan 15 2010 - Passport app.

Jan 21 2010 - Nat. cert. returned

Jan 22 2010 - Passport rec'd

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies.

Haole-I especially don't want to blow the ceremony for others so I totally understand there about yours and others's point of view of leaving the kids at home. As for my own ceremony...it's the opposite...my son not being there...that would blow the ceremony for me in ways....

Personally, would rather not have a ceremony at all if it is going to cause problems for everyone....

Sigh, isn't there some happy medium with children being in the ceremony? Lol..maybe the USCIS should offer free babysitting or have kid-friendly ceremonies or something....Wishful thinking....

PLEASE leave the kids home for the oath ceremony. You may blow your ceremony plus a lot of others also.

Nayalamb-You're lucky to have friends that are able to watch your children. Sigh, I wish I had friends like that...

Wish I could go on my own too, and in ways just leave my son and husband at home for some of the immigration appointments....

(lol...for example, do they really need to go when I get my biometrics done?...heck, do I even need to go that far for that myself?)

Unfortunately, because of the long-distance driving to my "local" office...My husband and son have to go with me, regardless of what immigration appointment it is there in the city...

I can't find other transportation otherwise and I dare not drive in the city alone (add to the fact that there might be a snowstorm when I go to...)

Regardless, we'll celebrate afterwards...probably have a long nap afterwards...lol...Too tired to do anything else after that!

Good luck with your interview and oath ceremony too and good luck with your friend watching your children.

for the interview and oath ceremony, i will beg my best friend to watch the kids. if she is not free, i'll have to go alone, because i can't trust that they will behave. i'd rather do it alone and know they are home content, than have them sit around for countless hours in a boring place and having poor hubby try to keep them both happy and quiet. i am sure they won't care about missing the oath ceremony. if anything, we can all go for a celebratory dinner afterwards or have something nice at home.

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+A

Oath ceremonies vary quite a bit. Ours was in an auditorium with 3200 seats and a good PA system. It wasn't particularly personal, formal, or solemn. There were several children there, and they certainly didn't ruin it.

I can see where a smaller venue might be a bit different.

You might want to find out how oath ceremonies are held for your location.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Hi Lucyrich,

Thanks for sharing about your oath ceremony experience. Wow, 3200 people...that's a big ceremony indeed!

That's good to hear that children were welcomed there and didn't cause any problems during your day, despite the big ceremony.

Did you bring your own children on that day too?

Yes, I've read here on Vj that all ceremonies are different too. As for where I am (local office: Buffalo, NY), more likely than not, it will be a smaller venue, as there is a smaller population here. (lol..must be because not a lot of people like the snowy weather here...).

I've searched on VJ, and haven't read too many experiences (only 1 or 2 from other VJers) about the N-400 process here in Buffalo, NY. So I don't know what to expect from here, really....Anywhere else I can look? Can't seem to find any information for specific oath dates either....

Hopefully the USCIS officals and everyone else attending will be receptive of children here, just like they were where you are...

Ant

Oath ceremonies vary quite a bit. Ours was in an auditorium with 3200 seats and a good PA system. It wasn't particularly personal, formal, or solemn. There were several children there, and they certainly didn't ruin it.

I can see where a smaller venue might be a bit different.

You might want to find out how oath ceremonies are held for your location.

Edited by Ant+D+A

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The only part of the ceremony your spouse will miss is the two seconds of glory you will have when they hand you your certificate. Is important they he be there with a clear head, you tend to be emotional, to make sure there are on typos on your certificate. For my stepsons' graduation that lasted two long days, positioned myself way up front with my camera to get a photo of him while is diploma was handed to him. Someone darted in front of me the instant I hit the shutter with no chance to take another photo.

Honestly, regardless of how large the ceremony is, no one give a darn about anyone else, just their own friend or relative. Those that conduct the ceremony have a very captive audience and most really like to take advantage of that rambling on for hours on their political views. Plus you are blackmailed, if not there, won't get your certificate. Ceremony for me was boring until my wife got up to receive her certificate. I use to bring my video camera along to these things, but even the person that received the diploma, award, or certificate never wanted to view it. Just remember it as a very long boring day.

Would have been so much nicer after my wife read and signed the oath if they gave her certificate then and there. The signature was a rubber stamp and the place of the ceremony was already preprinted, just added her name, sex, date of birth, country of origin, height, and marital status. A total of just 60 characters, she has a long name. Her photo was pasted to it with a USCIS stamp half on her photo, other half on the certificate. Would take a good typist less than a minute to prepare it.

The collimation of this certificate is even more forms to fill out and a fee, US passport, SS, voters registration, DMV, employer, and more waiting with concern your certificate will be lost, then it's finally over.

Having had six kids, that were all babies at one time, know the feeling. Would stand near an exit if I had to step out, just a baby would be easy, the older ones have to use the restroom and can really get bored. Hear so much about family values, but a strong prejudice against families with kids, yet another contradiction in our society. See a lot of parents really getting up tight with their kids and start yelling or spanking, just makes things a lot worse in public. Bring your husband and baby, let him stand near the exit, take your photos after the ceremony and make a fun day out of it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I think it is a personal decision. I know our two will be at their dad's naturalization ceremony. It is a HUGE deal for him and he would feel cheated if his USC children were not there. I will bring help, though. My mom lives about 2 hours away and I most definitely will ask for her to come that day to help out with the twins. That way if one or both need to step out, she could assist me with it. If she couldn't come, I would ask my neighbor who is a good friend and knows the babies. I guess having a "Plan B" is probably a good idea.

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bahamas
Timeline

hey ant,

whatever you decide, i'm sure the day will go well. i have ONE friend, just one, that i can beg to watch the babies! my other close friends are spread out around the globe and i have no family here. i need to start cultivating more pals for potential babysitting purposes! LOL.

if it was just one baby, i probably wouldn't mind hubby going and as someone mentioned, stand near an exit in case of an outburst or something. but i have TWO and that makes it a bit more challenging.

i'll bake a flag cake (or cupcakes) and we'll gorge on them after.

Edited by nayalamb

Adjustment of Status

July 1 2006 - Sent EAD & AOS packet

Sept 19 2006 - EAD APPROVED

Sept 22 2006 - AOS APPROVED

Sept 23 2006 - EAD card arrived

Sept 29 2006 - GC arrived!!!

Removal of Conditions

Jul 9 2008 - Filed @ VSC

Feb 25 2009 - Transferred to CSC

June 20 2009 - Card production ordered

NATURALIZATION

Aug 24 2009 - Mailed N-400 priority mail

Aug 26 2009 - rec'd at TX Lockbox

Aug 27 2009 - NOA1 (rec'd 8/31)

Aug 28 2009 - check cashed

Sept 4 2009 - biometrics notice [rec'd Sept 9]

Sept 25 2009 - Biometrics

Oct 17 2009 - Email about file transfer for interview

Oct 21 2009 - Interview Letter Rec'd

Dec 8 2009 - Interview - PASSED!!!!!!

Dec 19 2009 - Oath Letter rec'd

Jan 14 2010 - OATH CEREMONY!!!!

Jan 15 2010 - Passport app.

Jan 21 2010 - Nat. cert. returned

Jan 22 2010 - Passport rec'd

Hi NickD,

Thanks for sharing your wife's oath ceremony experience and other similar experience about your stepson's graduation. Lol..it's too bad about the photo of your stepson and hope he didn't mind about that. I agree, everyone there is focused on their own ceremony and/or their own family/friends' ceremony, and the ones conducting the ceremony just want to give a good impression. I don't care too much about my own ceremony, really. I just don't want to ruin it for everybody else, just because I brought my child along. Unfortunate, about the double-standards that society has about children...

So by the end of the day, it's more so: "pomp and circumstance", get the certificate, take a few photos, and be on our merry way, enjoying life as a US Citizen...

Unfortunately though for those "mere two seconds of glory", like what you said, everyone is "blackmailed" into attending such. Good thing for some people, bad thing for other people. Whatever. Wish we were all given more of a choice (especially more so that we paid so much into it) as to whether to attend such or not, and still receive the certificate regardless. I guess not then.

I admit, like you, I'd probably be a bit bored with the whole thing (though I understand the significance behind it nevertheless), be more so worrying that my son doesn't make too much of a fuss there and if I need to deal with such if it happens then, be hoping as to how not to get stuck in traffic and maybe a snowstorm on the way there and back, and trying to time it all so that I make it down to the other appropriate government agencies/offices, and whatever else needs to be updated shortly afterwards....

Dealing with all that the USCIS has put us through over the years....no surprise that one would get emotional about all of this....

It's like "one's life is in their hands" as they are the ones that decide whether one goes or stays in the USA...

Can't wait though, to "finally get rid of them" as soon as this is all over with citizenship..

Don't worry, I'll make sure there are no typos and other errors in my certificate (which they will have to fix right away and for free if I find such..which I also warned them about in my application evidence too...not my fault there for their errors...). From the way you described it, it seems easy that they would make such errors and seems so easy to forge too...On that note, it makes me wonder why they would charge $675+ for a certificate...Maybe we should start a factory here on VJ and make our own Citizenship certificates...just kidding....

And yes, it's not over yet...still have to update all the other government agenencies and offices about our new citizenship status. Lol..you would think that the USCIS would automatically do that for us when the give the certificates, as they have computer databases with all the information in it already...I guess not...They make the US Citizens work for their citizenship rights..lol...

Good idea too, about getting a seat near the door (good to know in case I have to bolt out the door)...Will ask about that for the oath ceremony.

Thank goodness I also have my "level-headed" husband with me too, so that would help is all out too...

I'm sure we'll be able to "make a good day out of the oath ceremony" in the end....

Will update you and everyone else on vj about that (whenever that happens for me...)

Ant

The only part of the ceremony your spouse will miss is the two seconds of glory you will have when they hand you your certificate. Is important they he be there with a clear head, you tend to be emotional, to make sure there are on typos on your certificate. For my stepsons' graduation that lasted two long days, positioned myself way up front with my camera to get a photo of him while is diploma was handed to him. Someone darted in front of me the instant I hit the shutter with no chance to take another photo.

Honestly, regardless of how large the ceremony is, no one give a darn about anyone else, just their own friend or relative. Those that conduct the ceremony have a very captive audience and most really like to take advantage of that rambling on for hours on their political views. Plus you are blackmailed, if not there, won't get your certificate. Ceremony for me was boring until my wife got up to receive her certificate. I use to bring my video camera along to these things, but even the person that received the diploma, award, or certificate never wanted to view it. Just remember it as a very long boring day.

Would have been so much nicer after my wife read and signed the oath if they gave her certificate then and there. The signature was a rubber stamp and the place of the ceremony was already preprinted, just added her name, sex, date of birth, country of origin, height, and marital status. A total of just 60 characters, she has a long name. Her photo was pasted to it with a USCIS stamp half on her photo, other half on the certificate. Would take a good typist less than a minute to prepare it.

The collimation of this certificate is even more forms to fill out and a fee, US passport, SS, voters registration, DMV, employer, and more waiting with concern your certificate will be lost, then it's finally over.

Having had six kids, that were all babies at one time, know the feeling. Would stand near an exit if I had to step out, just a baby would be easy, the older ones have to use the restroom and can really get bored. Hear so much about family values, but a strong prejudice against families with kids, yet another contradiction in our society. See a lot of parents really getting up tight with their kids and start yelling or spanking, just makes things a lot worse in public. Bring your husband and baby, let him stand near the exit, take your photos after the ceremony and make a fun day out of it.

Hi Tnh9479,

Thanks for your reply. Aww...cute photo of your twin babies in your vj signature.

I agree, it's a personal decision as to whether or not one brings their children to the oath ceremony or not. I agree too, that in your case, your husband would definitely feel that it helps that the children are there with him to celebrate such a joyous family occasion. Lucky, that you are able to have your mom or someone else help you there on that special day, so that you and your husband don't have to worry about such. Im sure that your twins will be well behaved there, and if not, it can be handled pretty quickly, with all that extra help.

By the way, since you are bringing babies to the ceremony, do you also have any recommendations as to how to keep babies occupied and well-behaved during such?

Lol...I wish I had a "Plan B" too....Nobody else (other than my husband) is able to help on that day....So it's a lot of reponsibility on his part for such, and I hope he can handle it....

My wishful-thinking version of "plan b"...."Give me the certificate, skip the group ceremony, have a private ceremony instead, be on my merry way as a US Citizen..." (yeah right....don't think this will come true)...

Anyways, good luck with your husband's future oath ceremony. May you and your family enjoy such a special day!

Ant

I think it is a personal decision. I know our two will be at their dad's naturalization ceremony. It is a HUGE deal for him and he would feel cheated if his USC children were not there. I will bring help, though. My mom lives about 2 hours away and I most definitely will ask for her to come that day to help out with the twins. That way if one or both need to step out, she could assist me with it. If she couldn't come, I would ask my neighbor who is a good friend and knows the babies. I guess having a "Plan B" is probably a good idea.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.