minnew

Packing list

20 posts in this topic

What would I do without everyone in the Canadian forum? :D

Question for you all, I tried doing a search but nothing came up that really answered my question. I am finally doing POE next week!!

I will be driving down in my vechile, packing as much as I can into my little car!

Here's my dilemma, my parents are coming down to the USA about 2.5 weeks later to attend my wedding, driving as well and I cannot fit ALL my wedding stuff into my car along with my belongings. Some of the wedding stuff is being packed into MY car, some my parents. What do I have to do in order for my parents to clear customs at POE with wedding stuff? Also some of the items were paid for by me, some by my mother. There will also be a few odds and ends that mom wants to give me as far as household items, if she can fit it! I don't want to run into a situation where they are asked to pay duty on anything.

I am currently making a packing list, but also want to add somewhere on there Items to follow, I will also not be able to fit my university textbooks and nor my parents, it will be another trip to Canada sometime next year pending approved AP.

I don't want to run into a situation where they are asked to pay duty on anything, nor myself, how long do I have to import my good duty free?

Thank you all in advance!

Edited by minnew

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

America does not charge GST only Canada does and if it's property already purchased in Canada, then GST has already been paid for, but Customs is another word for GOD which means they will randomly search people so if they are legal and have valid passports they should be fine to enter without disturbance... of course they may get searched, but that's how customs is.. they do that randomly. I would recommend they have their passports and proof that they will be returning to their country with them (ie: letters from the people they work with stating they have a job and proving that they own a home they pay for) reasons to return to their country because they are not here to overstay.

TIME LINE 2007

01/12/07-I Fly to Australia

01/25/07-We Got Married!

07/15/07-Point of Entry (K3 Visa)

K3 Time Line for the I-130, I-129F, EAD and AOS

usaCa.gifanimated-hearts.gifaustralC_1xa.gif

Lifting Conditions Timeline

11/06/09- Mailed Petition Via USPS Certified Mail

11/09/09- Your item was delivered at 11:08 AM on November 9, 2009 in LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92677.

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/12/09- Return Receipt Arrives in Mail

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

11/27/09- Received Appointment Letter

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/08/10- Card Production Ordered (E-Mail)

01/09/10- Touched

01/14/10- Greencard Received

America does not charge GST only Canada does and if it's property already purchased in Canada, then GST has already been paid for, but Customs is another word for GOD which means they will randomly search people so if they are legal and have valid passports they should be fine to enter without disturbance... of course they may get searched, but that's how customs is.. they do that randomly. I would recommend they have their passports and proof that they will be returning to their country with them (ie: letters from the people they work with stating they have a job and proving that they own a home they pay for) reasons to return to their country because they are not here to overstay.

There is no overstay issue, parents have to be back at work so that will suffice, they have passports as do my sister and they will not have over 10K in currency when the cross. I am concerned about paying duty on items that will not accompany me and how long I have to import goods after initial POE.

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

ROC

y7nv8l5t.png

Timeline

Crossing the Canadian / United States of America border

Rules governing the entry of foreigners are subject to change and you should check with the relevant authorities close to the time you will be making a crossing. Generally crossing this border is straight-forward and will include going through immigration customs both ways. The biggest hassle is usually the length of the queues, so consider avoiding peak times such as public holidays and the start and end of the working day.

Ensure you have the necessary papers.

Identification papers such as a passport or birth certificate are recommended. Visit the US Customs and Border protection Agency web site for more information about identification requirements. You also may be asked to show a return air ticket or proof of sufficient funds. Know the rules and make sure your appearance is not cause for suspicion (probably not a good day to be wearing your "legalize marijuana" t-shirt!). Customs inspectors do have the power to ruin a vacation. If you come under strong scrutiny for any reason, answer questions directly and politely. Tempting though it may be, wise-cracking and rudeness will only be to your own detriment.

When crossing the border on public transportation such as ferries, trains and buses, you will if necessary, be reunited with your luggage in order to take it across yourself. Transport companies take the inspection time into account in their schedules, and while mass transit is usually treated efficiently, the companies have no power over delays. Vehicles may be searched at the discretion of the customs officials, whether or not the traveler feels that he or she has complied with customs requirements.

Standard questions you might be asked by a border guard include: "Where are you from?", "Where are you going?", "How long will you be in Canada?" (sound like you know for how long, even if your plans are flexible, and ensure the intended length of your stay is within the legal limit), "What is the purpose of your trip?", and "Are you bringing anything with you that you intend to leave behind?"

Driving across the border

Border officials are on the lookout for stolen cars, or people attempting to avoid paying duties on bought cars. So you will want to be carrying documentation to show you are not perpetrating such scenarios.

Driving a rental car across the US-Canadian border is usually not a problem, so long as you have made this arrangement with the car rental company. Make sure you have a copy of the rental agreement with you, and that is states you have permission to take the vehicle across the border.

If you are driving a private car which isn't registered in the name of someone going on the trip, bring written proof that you have the permission of the owner to take the car into the other country.

Close to the time you intend to cross, it might be worth asking locals about the comparable prices of gas/petrol in each country (factoring in exchange rates), in order to make a budget-conscious decision as to which side to "fill up".

Going through U.S. Customs

Visitors who are at least 21 years of age may bring the following into the USA: 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars or 2 kilograms (4.4 lbs.) of tobacco; 1 liter of alcohol; gifts to the value of $100. Different restrictions will apply to returning US residents and citizens.

Travel Information from U.S. Customs & Border Protection

More details are available in the "Traveler Information" section of the official U.S. Customs web site. The "Visiting the US" and the "FAQ" links are a good place to start.

Immigration and Naturalization Service

The official INS web site has a page called "How do I" customer guides where you cab find answers to particular questions you may have.

Canadian Citizens Traveling to the US

More information for Canadian citizens crossing into the USA can be found on the Crossing U.S. Borders page at the web site of the Homeland Security.

Going through Canadian Customs

Visitors may bring the following into Canada: 200 cigarettes (= 1 carton), 50 cigars, and 14 ounces of tobacco; 1.1 liters or 40 imperial ounces (= 1 bottle) of liquor or wine, or 24 x 355-milliliter (12-ounce) bottles or cans of beer for personal consumption; gifts up to the value of C$60 per gift. To import tobacco products a person must be 18 years of age or over, and to import alcoholic beverages the importer must have reached the legal age established by authorities of the province. You can bring in a small amount of food for your own consumption. Different restrictions will apply to returning Canadian residents.

TIME LINE 2007

01/25/07-We Got Married!

11/09/09- Your item was delivered at 11:08 AM on November 9, 2009 in LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92677.

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/09/10- Touched

Timeline

USA Citizens Traveling to Canada

Citizens of the United States do not need a passport or visa to enter Canada, unless they are arriving in Canada from somewhere other than the USA. They do need to have on them proof of citizenship plus photo identification, although this is not often asked for. More information for U.S. citizens crossing into Canada can be found on the Consular Information Sheet for Canada at the web site of the Bureau of Consular Affairs, of the U.S. Department of State.

Americans in particular will need to be aware that Canada has strict gun laws. Generally, all weapons without legitimate sporting or recreational use are prohibited, and guns used for hunting or competition may be brought in with a permit. (Contact below). Undeclared firearms will be confiscated, and criminal charges may be made.

For more information about going into Canada, phone the border-crossing post directly. For answers to Canadian customs enquiries, or to locate the nearest Canadian customs district office, call the following telephone numbers: From within Canada, call: (toll-free) 1-800 461-9999. From outside Canada, call: 204-983-3500; or, 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges apply).

The following links also will be helpful.

Canada Customs and Revenue Agency.

The Canada Customs and Revenue Agency site has information for Visitors to Canada, including the Tax Refund for Visitors to Canada pamphlet. Canadian residents may be interested in browsing the pages about Canadian residents traveling abroad and obtaining more information about exemptions for returning Canadians.

The Canadian customs FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page also can be quite helpful in answering questions.

Visitors to the United States from other countries also may want to visit our US-VISIT page and acquaint themselves with policies and procedures recently introduced by the US Department of Homeland Security for entering and visiting the United States. These policies deal with enrollment requirements, how the program works, current ports of entry and privacy information. US-VISIT currently applies to all visitors (with limited exemptions) holding non-immigrant visas, regardless of country of origin. US-VISIT does not apply to U.S. citizens.

http://www.gonorthwest.com/Visitor/plannin...der/USvisit.htm

That may help some

TIME LINE 2007

01/25/07-We Got Married!

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/09/10- Touched

Thank you Rings for your posts

I think I found my answer, I forgot about the links in the Canada Immigration Guide

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=191858

https://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/ph...;p_new_search=1

So as long as I provide a letter authorizing the goods to cross with my parents as well as make a photocopy of my K-1 visa I should be golden? I can't remember which other VJ Canada member has been in this situation, but I remember reading about it.

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

ROC

y7nv8l5t.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think I found my answer, I forgot about the links in the Canada Immigration Guide

So as long as I provide a letter authorizing the goods to cross with my parents as well as make a photocopy of my K-1 visa I should be golden? I can't remember which other VJ Canada member has been in this situation, but I remember reading about it.

I don't remember who it was either. Basically you need 3 things for your parents to have. A complete inventory, a signed authorization and a copy of your K1.

Or you could always fill out a 3299 I suppose!

I just crossed September 4th and it went well. I had a detailed inventory of what I had in my car but they looked at it and gave it back to me. They didn't even look at my car. I was very careful to detail everything in there. I asked them when I crossed about the rest of my belongings and told them what I had, a detailed inventory, a form, can't remembered the form #, it was an unaccompanied goods form, I also told them I would fax back my I-94 I think its called to showed that I crossed, and my K-1. I am not sure if I am going to get a mover to do it, or a friend bring it down in a uhaul. I am awaiting my properties to sell. They told me that was perfect. I know each officer will probably have their own version, but I felt better with what I had prepared. Good luck with the move!

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't remember who it was either. Basically you need 3 things for your parents to have. A complete inventory, a signed authorization and a copy of your K1.

Or you could always fill out a 3299 I suppose!

We were in a similar sitation. Except I'm the USC, and it was my parents who were helping my fiance' cross.

But, here's what I learned from going through the POE in Port Huron, MI.

1- Make a list/manifest of every box and what is in which box. Takle that list with YOU in whatever car you are riding in when crossing the border. Everything you are binging with you wedding related or lifetime posession, is your property. Just label everything accordingly in your manifest.

2- YOU cross first. Have your parents IMMEDIATELY behind you at the crossing. By you going first, you can explain you are activating your K1 Visa and your parents are helping you move your personal belongings (don't mention wedding -- it's all your stuff). You might have to describe the cars they are driving (I did). Tell your parents exactly what to say... such as, "My daughter is in the _____ colored car ahead and she is activating her K1. I'm helping her move her stuff to her new home." When CBP asks about their return, have them state the day, and date. They might want to being proof of residency and return just in case. (Since my parents are USC, they didn't have to do that part.)

3- When you go inside, have them come in with you. Just have them stand off to the side as you are dealing with the officer at the desk.

After that, you're off & running!

GBest of luck! PM me if you need/want more details. :)

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

They never took my lists of inventory i still have both copys i made, an never looked in my car/ truck or anything! I wouldnt worry to much, just give them a note and a inventory list an copy of ur visa like you said =P

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
They never took my lists of inventory i still have both copys i made, an never looked in my car/ truck or anything! I wouldnt worry to much, just give them a note and a inventory list an copy of ur visa like you said =P

I think the best part is.. when you SHOW them that you HAVE a list... they don't check anything!!! Well, at least, that seems to be the trend. Over-plan ahead of time, to avoid annoyances later! :thumbs: BTW, they never even looked at Duncan's list. They just saw that he one in a binder, all organized & whatnot. In fact, Duncan was kinda upset that they DIDN'T look through it! lolol

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

I called my girlfriend when I got through and we had a laugh! All that work and extra time to mark everything down and they didn't even look at it. We actually had to take stuff out of my car cause we missed recording it. Although if I hadn't done it I would probably still be in Canada cause they wouldn't have let me throught! LOL

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Timeline
2- YOU cross first. Have your parents IMMEDIATELY behind you at the crossing. By you going first, you can explain you are activating your K1 Visa and your parents are helping you move your personal belongings (don't mention wedding -- it's all your stuff). [/b]

Minnew mentions that the second car will be travelling two and a half weeks later, so if she has to wait at the border, well that could get old fast :lol:

Edited by trailmix

2- YOU cross first. Have your parents IMMEDIATELY behind you at the crossing. By you going first, you can explain you are activating your K1 Visa and your parents are helping you move your personal belongings (don't mention wedding -- it's all your stuff). [/b]

Minnew mentions that the second car will be travelling two and a half weeks later, so if she has to wait at the border, well that could get old fast :lol:

:lol: Yes it would! A signed authorization, copy of my packing list with list of the items to follow (that my parents are bringing) copy of K-1 and if I can get my printer/scanner hooked up I will send a photocopy of my I-94.

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

ROC

y7nv8l5t.png

Timeline

There is a form to fill out for "unaccompanied goods". I don't remember the form number but I STRONGLY recommend you fill it out. It's no big deal. Give the original to your parents and have a copy yourself. Also give your parents a copy of your K-1 visa and a letter giving them permission to bring the items over (list them again for good measure).

I posted about this already on another thread, but my wife had the hardest time ever crossing the border when I first moved back to the US. She had three of my shirts in her car. I had already crossed (in the next lane) and she said for me to just go ahead because she knew she'd be pulled over to secondary for reactivation of her I-94. Basically the BG told her that you CANNOT bring over other people's stuff, even if they just crossed ahead of you without that unaccompanied goods form. So save your parents the hassle and just fill it out ahead of time.

We were naive (who would have thought three shirts could be such a big deal), but it was a really unpleasant experience that we would have avoided if we'd known it was necessary.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.