aevans

What does this mean?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Reading through my fiance's Packet IV letter from the Sydney Consulate, I see that underneath "Additional Comments" this is listed in very small type:

Form DS194 Refusal Supplemental 02/20/08

Did a search on the forums here and could only find someone asking the same question, with no answer I could see.

So, can anyone tell me what this is / means? Kind of waiting a little late to ask, as his interview is next Tuesday, but yeah. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ash

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I have heard of a DSP-122 but nothing of a DS194 it may be an internal document. I will keep looking for you though

TIME LINE 2007

01/12/07-I Fly to Australia

01/25/07-We Got Married!

07/15/07-Point of Entry (K3 Visa)

K3 Time Line for the I-130, I-129F, EAD and AOS

usaCa.gifanimated-hearts.gifaustralC_1xa.gif

Lifting Conditions Timeline

11/06/09- Mailed Petition Via USPS Certified Mail

11/09/09- Your item was delivered at 11:08 AM on November 9, 2009 in LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92677.

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/12/09- Return Receipt Arrives in Mail

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

11/27/09- Received Appointment Letter

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/08/10- Card Production Ordered (E-Mail)

01/09/10- Touched

01/14/10- Greencard Received

Timeline

As far as this says a DS194 is a "written Decision" so I don't think that's negative it's just some dumb coding they use. I will look through my paperwork tonight to see if that wording was on our documents or not.

If Your Visa is Not Granted or is Denied:

Get the name of the officer(s) who dealt with you.

Ask to see the supervisor and/or Chief Consular officer OR call your attorney.

Ask what else you could submit that would satisfy the consul.

Take notes about who said what to whom. Be very specific.

Ask for a written decision (Form DS194 should be detailed.)

Ask if the consul would be willing to set you up for an after hours interview (usually in the afternoons, later in the week) after the crush is over and someone can spend more time with you.

Don't forget: in most cases, even though there is no specific right to appeal, you can ask for reconsideration or reapply if you have additional information to present that would address the issues of concern to the consul.

Note that, if your application is denied, most consulates put a little stamp in the back of your passport that says "application received." That is a code for what probably happened: "application denied". Therefore, if you consulate-shop, other consulates will probe more deeply into your situation or may refer you back to the original consulate. The notation is not necessarily a bar to obtaining a visa at a later time.

TIME LINE 2007

01/25/07-We Got Married!

11/09/09- Your item was delivered at 11:08 AM on November 9, 2009 in LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92677.

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/09/10- Touched

Timeline

Found more information

When a consular officer refuses an immigrant visa, he completes Form DS-194. Refusal Letter and Refusal Worksheet. The consul gives the applicant a copy of the form and advises the applicant of the basis for the refusal and of any statutory provisions for administration relief..

Now this is not to scare you but only to inform you so what I would do is be sure he packs his bags as full as he damn well can with evidence of your relationship just to be safe.

TIME LINE 2007

01/25/07-We Got Married!

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/09/10- Touched

Timeline

Ah, thank you very much for the information.

Unfortunately this does make me very nervous...I was expecting us to get an RFE from USCIS when we filed the I-129F, because we had no idea what we were doing in regards to evidence (had unfortunately not found this site yet...) and so sent practically none. But...NOA2 came without a hitch. I've since sent additional photos and e-mails and the receipt for our engagement ring, etc. to him to bring to the interview, but that doesn't exactly constitute a lot of evidence. He never saved anything to prove that he came to the U.S., and I've never been to see him in Australia because 1. my financial situation had not been ideal until I got a new job last July, and then 2. it's taken me over a year to save up 2 weeks of vacation after starting my new job.

It makes me very mad that they would put us through all this, forward the app to the consulate and such, and have Des go through all the motions and EXPENSIVE medical exam and police clearance, if that little note is an indication that they might deny his visa. Why not send the RFE, if they wanted more evidence? Or just deny us outright at the I-129F stage? Would have been heartbreaking, but not heartbreaking like this is going to be if we get denied, after almost 8 months of waiting.

Seems to me that the US gov enjoys setting people up to fail by not providing clearer instructions on anything. If it weren't for this site, we'd probably be more screwed than we possibly might already be.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Ah, thank you very much for the information.

Unfortunately this does make me very nervous...I was expecting us to get an RFE from USCIS when we filed the I-129F, because we had no idea what we were doing in regards to evidence (had unfortunately not found this site yet...) and so sent practically none. But...NOA2 came without a hitch. I've since sent additional photos and e-mails and the receipt for our engagement ring, etc. to him to bring to the interview, but that doesn't exactly constitute a lot of evidence. He never saved anything to prove that he came to the U.S., and I've never been to see him in Australia because 1. my financial situation had not been ideal until I got a new job last July, and then 2. it's taken me over a year to save up 2 weeks of vacation after starting my new job.

It makes me very mad that they would put us through all this, forward the app to the consulate and such, and have Des go through all the motions and EXPENSIVE medical exam and police clearance, if that little note is an indication that they might deny his visa. Why not send the RFE, if they wanted more evidence? Or just deny us outright at the I-129F stage? Would have been heartbreaking, but not heartbreaking like this is going to be if we get denied, after almost 8 months of waiting.

Seems to me that the US gov enjoys setting people up to fail by not providing clearer instructions on anything. If it weren't for this site, we'd probably be more screwed than we possibly might already be.

I don't think that little note is an indication that they are going to deny his visa. I think it's a note that he previously applied for a visa, and it was denied. The DS-194 is a visa denial letter from the consulate. From the date you posted, it looks like he was denied in February of 2008. Were you aware that he'd applied for and been denied a visa last year?

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Thanks, JimVaPhuong, for your reply. No, he never applied for another visa. We still have no idea what this little notation means, but I guess it doesn't mean anything significant. Des just had his interview last night / this morning and was approved. :) Sorry for my rant before. I've been about 10 different kinds of frustrated, worried and nervous these past 8 months. But at least we've cleared that hurdle now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.