coldwatersurf

EAD QUESTION

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

ok just wondering....

my EAD card says "NOT VALID FOR REENTRY TO US"

I have a k3 visa and plan on AOS in a couple of months

K3 is allowed for re-entry. so what does that mean for my EAD card? I am not allowed to cross the border anymore?

K-3:

Marriage : 2008-03-22

I-130 Sent : 2008-11-15

Appointment @ consulate: 2009-04-09 - Approved!

Picked up K3 visa & passport: 2009-04-14

POE @ Blaine, WA: 2009-04-24

EAD app sent to USCIS California: 2009-04-28

EAD app rec'd @ USCIC CA: 2009-04-30

EAD NOA: 2009-05-11

Biometrics Appt: 2009-07-27

EAD Approved/Card Production: 2009-7-31

EAD Received: 2009-09-06

AOS packet & change of address sent: 2009-12-23

Biometrics Interview: 2010-02-23

Interview Date: 2010-03-16 APPROVED

GC received March 29, 2010

Removal of Conditions

Application sent: January 04, 2012

Rec'd Notice of Bio appt: January 24, 2012

Biometrics appt: February 24, 2012

Rec'd approval notice: dated July 7, 2012

Rec'd 10yr green card: July 17, 2012 (dated july 10, 2012) - rec'd IR-6 status

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

POE Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193529

ok just wondering....

my EAD card says "NOT VALID FOR REENTRY TO US"

I have a k3 visa and plan on AOS in a couple of months

K3 is allowed for re-entry. so what does that mean for my EAD card? I am not allowed to cross the border anymore?

Hmm, here are some things that I'm wondering...

You have a K-3, which IS a multi-entry visa. You don't have to adjust status for 2 years. However, it looks like you've applied for EAD now? I suspect that they didn't bother to see that you have a K-3 instead of a K-1, and that is the weirdest thing I've ever heard of since if you didn't apply for AOS, how and why did you get an EAD card anyway? An EAD card is a card so that you CAN apply for a job until your GC comes in. Very weird...

I suppose the EAD card has that on it automatically maybe because you would be getting an AP card as well? I don't know. You can just cross the border anyway with your visa. As stated earlier, it's a multi-entry visa. No one, whether they have a K-3 or K-1 would be using an EAD to cross the border anyway.

If you're a K-1, you'd use your AP, if you were a K-3, you'd use your visa in your passport. That's all you need, so ignore what it says on the EAD and cross as you want.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Maybe it is cus people think when they get the EAD card that they can use that go cross the border when they can't so they put the warning on it to make sure people dont try using EAD to cross instead of finishing AOS and getting the green card ( for thos that have to ) ?

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The EAD card can not be used as a travel document. It is only to show that you are authorized to work in the USA. That is why it has written on it that it can not be used to enter the US.

As a K3 visa holder your visa allows for multi entry for a period of 2 years, having a EAD has no effect on the K3 visa.

You have a K-3, which IS a multi-entry visa. You don't have to adjust status for 2 years. However, it looks like you've applied for EAD now? I suspect that they didn't bother to see that you have a K-3 instead of a K-1, and that is the weirdest thing I've ever heard of since if you didn't apply for AOS, how and why did you get an EAD card anyway? An EAD card is a card so that you CAN apply for a job until your GC comes in. Very weird...

I think you are getting confused here. A K3 visa is a multi entry visa and is valid for two years. As a K3 visa holder you can apply for EAD without having to file for AOS, The EAD is valid until the expiry of the K3 visa. Most K3 visa holders wait to file for AOS so that they will have been married for 2 years+ by the time of the AOS interview and approval, that way they dont have to file for removal of conditions.

Timeline

TayRiver - that's exactly the route i'm taking :) thank you for all your responses. i was just wondering what that was all about. i wasnt going to use my EAD to cross but its good to know. when I applied for jobs, the employers didn't even know what the EAD was about. all they wanted to see was my SSN which says something like "only to be used with DSHS permission" or something like that and my employers were confused and that's when I have to show my EAD

K-3:

Removal of Conditions

Vancouver Consulate Review: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=190588

TayRiver - that's exactly the route i'm taking :) thank you for all your responses. i was just wondering what that was all about. i wasnt going to use my EAD to cross but its good to know. when I applied for jobs, the employers didn't even know what the EAD was about. all they wanted to see was my SSN which says something like "only to be used with DSHS permission" or something like that and my employers were confused and that's when I have to show my EAD

Does your SSN have only authorized to work with DHS permission? If so, and you have your EAD card now, you might want to go back and get a new SSN with that removed from it.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Does your SSN have only authorized to work with DHS permission? If so, and you have your EAD card now, you might want to go back and get a new SSN with that removed from it.

yes it does have the DHS thing on it. I dont think I can get that removed b/c im still K3 and not a permanent resident (haven't applied for AOS). I used my EAD to get my SSN so I dont think that DHS notice on my SSN will come off b/c i am still under a conditional visa. I may have to wait until I get my green card.

K-3:

Removal of Conditions

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, the EAD is work authorization only and that is it. You are allowed to work in the US. It is NOT a travel document and has no meaning to the border officials.

The AP is what you need to travel and usually the EAD and AP come close to each other after filing for AOS. People get confused with the two quite a bit...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Carla, do you know if there is a form for that to be removed?? There seems to be a form for everything else. lol Duncan was just approved for his EAD and we received an email stating that production for the card had been ordered.

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Carla, do you know if there is a form for that to be removed?? There seems to be a form for everything else. lol Duncan was just approved for his EAD and we received an email stating that production for the card had been ordered.

There is no form. When you get your Greencard, you just take it with you to the office and then fill out the same form I believe. You cannot get that saying removed until the Greencard, not the EAD.

I just started a job and they didn't even look at my SSN, they just asked for the number and wanted to see and take a copy of the EAD.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

There is no form. When you get your Greencard, you just take it with you to the office and then fill out the same form I believe. You cannot get that saying removed until the Greencard, not the EAD.

I just started a job and they didn't even look at my SSN, they just asked for the number and wanted to see and take a copy of the EAD.

Good point. Thanks, Sapphire! Come to think of it, I don't think I've shown my SS Card to my employers. I have just always written the number. So, he would just need to know his SSN and take the EAD with him, and make copies for the employers.

BTW, how's the new job??!!

Edited by July09Bride

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

Good point. Thanks, Sapphire! Come to think of it, I don't think I've shown my SS Card to my employers. I have just always written the number. So, he would just need to know his SSN and take the EAD with him, and make copies for the employers.

BTW, how's the new job??!!

Exactly the EAD is just to verify that he is legal to work on the I-9. They don't really care about that saying on the SSN. The EAD is his permission. He doesn't even need to bring the copies, they'll make a copy for him!

Also, I found it helpful to state in my cover letter that I was (or would be soon) legally able to work in the US and did not require a visa/sponsorship. Sometimes employers are a bit cautious when they see all experience is Canadian.

My new job is going very well! The people are nice, the work is good and it's not as stressful as my last job, haha.

I don't miss not working at all surprisingly!

Good luck to Duncan on his job search!!

Removing Conditions

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm a little confused here! I thought you had to wait until you had the GC to remove the conditions on the SSN, not the EAD, but I'm hearing other things. Apparently Poprocks just went and had hers removed with her EAD only. So, is this something that is defendant on the office and person you get at the desk? If they remove it you just got lucky, otherwise you must wait? Or can you really have it removed with your EAD and some workers at the office just aren't aware?

Timeline

I'm a little confused here! I thought you had to wait until you had the GC to remove the conditions on the SSN, not the EAD, but I'm hearing other things. Apparently Poprocks just went and had hers removed with her EAD only. So, is this something that is defendant on the office and person you get at the desk? If they remove it you just got lucky, otherwise you must wait? Or can you really have it removed with your EAD and some workers at the office just aren't aware?

It's true you do need the greencard. I wonder if she has the actual card yet.... from her post I gathered that she just went into the office.... Maybe she can confirm.

Last night on the back of the SNN card (the piece you disattach) I read that it says to notify SS when your immigration status changes, which I'm guessing is when we get our greencard.

Removing Conditions

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Hmmm... well, the SSA office isn't too far from the house. Perhaps we can try with the EAD once it arrives. I'm guessing someone at the office didn't know to ask for the GC and went ahead with the EAD, since the EAD is all for employment.

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.