Jack25

Visitor's Visa and K1 Process

5 posts in this topic

My fiancee already has an existing visitor's visa. If I put in the paperwork for the fiancee visa, will she be able to enter the US using her existing visitor's visa? Once the K1 goes through, she can then go back to her home country and do whatever she needs to do for the K1. Of course she won't be over staying the length dictated on her visitor's visa. I mean we're not going to circumvent anything here. It's just that 8 months to a year for the fiancee visa is longer than I would like and I would like to be with her.

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
My fiancee already has an existing visitor's visa. If I put in the paperwork for the fiancee visa, will she be able to enter the US using her existing visitor's visa? Once the K1 goes through, she can then go back to her home country and do whatever she needs to do for the K1. Of course she won't be over staying the length dictated on her visitor's visa. I mean we're not going to circumvent anything here. It's just that 8 months to a year for the fiancee visa is longer than I would like and I would like to be with her.

Sometimes yes and somtimes no. Fill in your timeline. Where is she from? It is very country dependent.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

One of the questions on the petition is about whether the beneficiary is currently in the US (and what kind of visa, expiry, etc.) so I think they are used to receiving applications where the fiance/e is already here.

I am still in the US on a J-1 visa at the moment, having filed K-1 petition at the end of August. Of course, by the time they read our application I will be back in the UK (hopefully verified by SEVIS, so I'm not expecting any problems)

When does your fiance/e's visa expire? Will they still be in the USA when your case is close to being adjudicated? This is the only circumstance I can think of where it may be an issue because the visa has to be issued through the embassy of the beneficiary's own nation, so they have to be there to send docs, do medical and attend visa interview.

ticker.png

One of the questions on the petition is about whether the beneficiary is currently in the US (and what kind of visa, expiry, etc.) so I think they are used to receiving applications where the fiance/e is already here.

I am still in the US on a J-1 visa at the moment, having filed K-1 petition at the end of August. Of course, by the time they read our application I will be back in the UK (hopefully verified by SEVIS, so I'm not expecting any problems)

When does your fiance/e's visa expire? Will they still be in the USA when your case is close to being adjudicated? This is the only circumstance I can think of where it may be an issue because the visa has to be issued through the embassy of the beneficiary's own nation, so they have to be there to send docs, do medical and attend visa interview.

Well currently she is not in the US anymore. She was here for the summer and on the day that she left I started the paperwork and has since mailed it out. I mailed it out last week and according to the USPS it was received on Friday. I have yet to get an official NOA from the USCIS. She is from Taiwan by the way.

Thanks you guys for chiming is, especially that link above. Very informative.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.