MouadsWife

K1 Life Span

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
When entering in the United States on a k1... how long is it valid for? I have heard that you must get married within 90 days. So I assumed it was only valid for 90 days, but I have read where it is valid for 6 months. My second question is, after entering on a k1, and after getting married within 90 days, how long after his arival do I have to pay the AOS fee? I think its somewhere in the ballpark of $1,100. Does this have to be paid within 90 days? Or within 6 month? Wondering how long I have to save up for that BIG fee!

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Once you get the K1, you have 6 months to enter the US. Once you enter, you have 90 days to get married. After that it is basically up to you regarding when to file AOS. The hang up will be that your SO will be out of status if you don't file and won't be able to work or travel out of the US until you do.

NOA 2. Really?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
When entering in the United States on a k1... how long is it valid for? I have heard that you must get married within 90 days. So I assumed it was only valid for 90 days, but I have read where it is valid for 6 months. My second question is, after entering on a k1, and after getting married within 90 days, how long after his arival do I have to pay the AOS fee? I think its somewhere in the ballpark of $1,100. Does this have to be paid within 90 days? Or within 6 month? Wondering how long I have to save up for that BIG fee!

You need to read the Guides since your questions are very basic and indicate you do not understand everything. Click on the Guides button at the top of this page.

The beneficiary has 6 months once they get the K-1 visa from the Embassy to leave their country.

Then at the Point of Entry, they are given a I-94 Visa and that is good for only 90 days.

Yes you must get married within 90 days or they go back.

You file the AOD documentation as soon as possible after you marry. You don't have to do it on day number 89 or number 91, but you should do it soon after the 90 days. DO NOT wait until 180 days after the 90 days is over because then you may incur an overstay and risk deportation and bans from future visas. You should have this AOS fee saved up BEFORE you even start the K-1 process.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

A K-1 Visa is valid for 6 months - it is a one-time use visa so one you enter the US (within that 6-month period) it is no longer of any use. Once entering the US, the foreign fiance has 90-days to marry the intended US citizen.

Once married - you should file to adjust status (AOS) as soon as possible - best if before the 90-days expires but the sooner the better. Once the I-94 expires (90 days after entry) your status becomes "Out of Status." Once you file the AOS, your status changes to "Pending" which protects your legal status in the US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

From the time the K-1 (visa) is issued you MUST enter the USA within 6 months.

When you enter the USA the K-1 is CANCELLED, it is a single entry visa. Once used it is cancelled, like a postage stamp. It is replaced by the I-94 which has a validity of 90 days. You MUST get married BEFORE the expiration date on the I-94. It is BEST, thoug not absolutely imperative, to file the AOS before that date also, but you MUST be married before that date. The AOS fee is $1010.

You had from the day you got engaged ad chose the K-1 route until the day of filing the AOS to save for the big fee.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You need to read the Guides since your questions are very basic and indicate you do not understand everything. Click on the Guides button at the top of this page.

The beneficiary has 6 months once they get the K-1 visa from the Embassy to leave their country.

Then at the Point of Entry, they are given a I-94 Visa and that is good for only 90 days.

You file the AOD documentation as soon as possible after you marry. You don't have to do it on day number 89 or number 91, but you should do it soon after the 90 days. DO NOT wait until 180 days after the 90 days is over because then you may incur an overstay and risk deportation and bans from future visas. You should have this AOS fee saved up BEFORE you even start the K-1 process.

Umm.. that was quite rude. She wasn't asking for your opinion but to simply answer the question or pass it up. She is asking for help, the guides are there to be used but anyone can ask a question.

Edited by luvlikcraz

MoroccoUSA_flag.jpg

Teresa,

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."

- Martha Washington

4ZaKm5.png

Timeline

Umm.. that was quite rude. She wasn't asking for your opinion but to simply answer the question or pass it up. She is asking for help, the guides are there to be used but anyone can ask a question.

I disagree. It is no way rude to point someone in the direction of information they need. The OP has come this far and does not know the answer to basic questions, she needs to read the guides and it is a SERVICE to her to point that out in no uncertain terms. Sure, she can ask questions, and she got her answers PLUS good advice to educate herself.

I also get a bit perturbed when people who have CHOSEN the K-1 route then act like it is a big surprise they have to pay $1010 to adjust status. This is no secret. It is part of the process and should be planned for long in advance. You have to submit affidavits of support for a person, certainly $1010 one time fee cannot be such a burden if you intend to support a person. Sheeesh, it doesn't even feed the family for a month, let alone the increased electric bill, gas bill, etc. If $1000 is such an impediment, then people should re-think their life plan. It's a pretty good deal if you ask me, that doesn't even come up to the cost of a decent car repair bill. A visit to the emergency room or a good medical exam costs that much.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I disagree. It is no way rude to point someone in the direction of information they need. The OP has come this far and does not know the answer to basic questions, she needs to read the guides and it is a SERVICE to her to point that out in no uncertain terms. Sure, she can ask questions, and she got her answers PLUS good advice to educate herself.

I also get a bit perturbed when people who have CHOSEN the K-1 route then act like it is a big surprise they have to pay $1010 to adjust status. This is no secret. It is part of the process and should be planned for long in advance. You have to submit affidavits of support for a person, certainly $1010 one time fee cannot be such a burden if you intend to support a person. Sheeesh, it doesn't even feed the family for a month, let alone the increased electric bill, gas bill, etc. If $1000 is such an impediment, then people should re-think their life plan. It's a pretty good deal if you ask me, that doesn't even come up to the cost of a decent car repair bill. A visit to the emergency room or a good medical exam costs that much.

Well, 'I" personally wasnt perterbed until this last post. I appreciate everyones responses and assistance in answering my questions. First of all I would like to add that "I was not surprised by the AOS fee. I just did not know exactlty 'when' it was supposed to be paid. As far as 'rethinking' my life plan because the AOS fee is an 'impendiment' is quit ridiculous. Not everyone is born with a fantastic career, silver spoon, or massive savings account. I work very hard and save every penny I make. Im not blessed enough to have a lucritive career to where money is not a concern like some ppl. So just because I have to save money for such fees does not mean I am unable to support my fiance. Whether it be a person is fed through a silver spoon or a plastic one doesnt matter.... I think money is a concern for a majority of the population. I do study the guides and look at everything I can get my hands on and "ask' questions. I am a little insulted by the response I recieved. One should never make a person feel less, say its better to "rethink a life plan", be of their financial matters. Should I have said "sorry honey, gotta rethink my life plan... you just cost tooo much!" Obsurd. :blink: But for everyone who was supportive in answering my questions with no judgement, thank you! (((Hugs!!)))

Edited by MouadsWife

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Timeline

Well, 'I" personally wasnt perterbed until this last post. I appreciate everyones responses and assistance in answering my questions. First of all I would like to add that "I was not surprised by the AOS fee. I just did not know exactlty 'when' it was supposed to be paid. As far as 'rethinking' my life plan because the AOS fee is an 'impendiment' is quit ridiculous. Not everyone is born with a fantastic career, silver spoon, or massive savings account. I work very hard and save every penny I make. Im not blessed enough to have a lucritive career to where money is not a concern like some ppl. So just because I have to save money for such fees does not mean I am unable to support my fiance. Whether it be a person is fed through a silver spoon or a plastic one doesnt matter.... I think money is a concern for a majority of the population. I do study the guides and look at everything I can get my hands on and "ask' questions. I am a little insulted by the response I recieved. One should never make a person feel less, say its better to "rethink a life plan", be of their financial matters. Should I have said "sorry honey, gotta rethink my life plan... you just cost tooo much!" Obsurd. :blink: But for everyone who was supportive in answering my questions with no judgement, thank you! (((Hugs!!)))

I never said you should re-think a life plan, and unless your situation is what I mentioned the comment is a general one and not directed at you. Yes, people who cannot afford the AOS fee should not be importing other people into the country to start a fmaily, they ought to get their own life in order first. That is my opinion and if it offends you...well, too bad...for you. I do not sugar coat the truth. If you balk at what amounts to a very minimal down payment...well.

And Yes, responsible adults need to consider finances when entering a relationship as it is the number one reason relationships break up, it is not obsurd to consider that. You could not possibly have done that as you did not know what it cost.

So, I gave you your answer, and a little more. You ask in a public forum, you get answers from the public. As you were told, if you read and study the guides, you get politically correct, un-insulting answers to your questions. Everyone is happy. You can bury your head and pretend money doesn't matter.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
You should have this AOS fee saved up BEFORE you even start the K-1 process.

Why? So it can sit dormant in an account for the 6-12 months before you need it?

It is a good idea, if you know your fiances are such that you live day to day on what you earn, to start to plan well ahead of the time for an expense like the AOS. $1010 is a lot of money to come up with at one time, so setting aside a specific amount each pay period into a savings account - which can then earn interest (granted, pretty minimal, but still) - will make it easier to accomodate the AOS when it comes due. I don't think it is necessary to have the money ready before you start the K-1 but you do need to be aware that the expense is in the future.

And, if you're letting your money sit 'dormant' in an account, then you have it in the wrong account. Get one with better interest or invest in a short term CD ;) . There's nothing wrong with saving money for the future.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Agreed, there is nothing wrong with saving, or planning ahead. But to say one *should* have the money for AOS ready that far ahead of needing it is just unnecessary. You should have a plan to have it ready by the time it is due. :)

ticker.png

Timeline

Thank you to those who have given me 'good advice'. I appreciate it alot. I have been saving up since this all began, and just inquiring as to 'when it had to be paid'. For some, I dont ask for answers to be sugar coated, but when I need an answer to a direct question especially an easy one answer question, the answer would be nice instead of...... well Im sure you know.

I buy stocks at work so this helps me in paying for fees and ceratin things. Just wasnt sure when things where due. I have read some conflicting information. I had done my research in this and if I wanted to I would have gone the k3 route, but after careful studying we decided to go the k1 and we are both happy with the decision.

Thank you Corinthians, baron555, Otto and Karin, luvlikcraz, kathryn41 and cactuscake for your helpful advice. :thumbs:

Edited by MouadsWife

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.