wayno

AP in latin America

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I guess it's been about a month now for my wife. This waiting really sucks but I guess the shock has worn off. She was approved at interview so we were really upset when she did not recieve her visa on the day they told her it would be ready. They said they were still waiting for her fingerprints to come back. That it may take a month or two. I may assume a name check as well is being done, but they never mentioned it. After reading a bunch of these posts and talking to a couple of my friends who merried from outside the US, I have come to realize that AP is normal, even after approval! The embassy in Costa Rica told her everyone goes through it.

So I am trying to figgure out an estimation on time. Just wondering how long its been, or how long it took, to go through this process from others in Latin America. Wondering if the fact that my wife is a citizen of one country (Colombia), and a resident of another country (Costa Rica, where we're going through), and that she's had a tourist visa to the U.S. is going to cause a further delay.

Thanks,

Wayne

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
I guess it's been about a month now for my wife. This waiting really sucks but I guess the shock has worn off. She was approved at interview so we were really upset when she did not recieve her visa on the day they told her it would be ready. They said they were still waiting for her fingerprints to come back. That it may take a month or two. I may assume a name check as well is being done, but they never mentioned it. After reading a bunch of these posts and talking to a couple of my friends who merried from outside the US, I have come to realize that AP is normal, even after approval! The embassy in Costa Rica told her everyone goes through it.

So I am trying to figgure out an estimation on time. Just wondering how long its been, or how long it took, to go through this process from others in Latin America. Wondering if the fact that my wife is a citizen of one country (Colombia), and a resident of another country (Costa Rica, where we're going through), and that she's had a tourist visa to the U.S. is going to cause a further delay.

Thanks,

Wayne

Wayne;

As far as I know, unless you were specifically told at your interview that your case was being put in AP you shouldn't assume you are. I would definately be concerned if the visa was not given to your wife within a week. Something just doesn't add up though. As far as I know, they wouldn't approve your wife's visa prior to a name and background check including fingerprints. Both of you should make an appointment with the embassy and personally go down there to ask questions.

Good Luck.

Fernando

P.S. We were put on AP the day of the interview and it lasted 30 days.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

They have told my wife that it is AP and she has nothing to worry about because she was approved. Just standard procedure. I also got an E-mail stating she was placed in AP. Of course the E-mail was a generic response and stated usually 90 days but it can take month's, EVEN YEARS (yes yearS) longer. Even though she was approved! She recieved a little white card after the interview that had date and time to pick up visa but when she showed up it wasn't ready. They said they were waiting on her fingerprints. From what I understand they go a little deeper into it after approval.

Unfortunatly this seems pretty common, even after approval, as I found out after reading many posts in this section. Just trying to see what an average time might be by seeing others from that part of the world who are going/went through the same process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Every case will be different.

In Ecuador, everyone (including the USC) is considered a criminal, and the 221(g) process takes as long as the consulate damned well decides it wants to take. Follow the advice above -- marshal your Congressional allies and keep pestering the embassy on the suggested schedule.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.