MarieCookie

Question about the I-130

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi!

My husband and I are getting together all the papers to send the CR-1 visa.

Regarding the I-130 package I have some questions that I hope you can help me :)

1) Regarding the proof of bonifide relationship/marriage I made a compilation of all our pictures (including the ones from our wedding), I have all my phones bills and they all show that I called him several times, I have all my boarding passes plus the reservation from expedia with the payment, also we have saved all our emails. My question is should I send my original phone bills our just send a few, also should I send my boarding passes or should I make photocopies and save it for the interview??

I'm just scared of sending all my ''proofs'' and then not having them if I need it later..

2) Does anyone have a sample of the cover letter?? I have no idea how to set it.

3) Does anyone knows how to find a certified translator? Have to be one in the USA? (I have documents in Spanish as for the police record I'm trying to figure it out where to find a translator

Thanks, hope you can help me ;)

OUR LOVE STORY

2006-04: Introduced by friends while vacations in Nicaragua

2006-07: I moved back to Montreal and relationship started

2008-05-07: He propose =)

2009-07-18: We got married in Laval, Qc.

USCIS

2009-11-13: I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

2009-11-23: I-130 NOA 1

2010-03-01: I-130 NOA 2

NVC

2010-03-08: NVC case number assigned

2010-03-18: Sent DS-3032

2010-03-18: Paid AOS Fee online

2010-04-28: Sent I-864 package

2010-04-20: Paid IV Fee Bill

2010-05-29: Sent DS-230 package

2010-06-23: Received RFE for DS-230 missing document

2010-07-05: Receive mail but will take 6 to 8 weeks to process mail :S!!

2010-08-10: SNF case complete

Timeline

You should send photocopies with your I-130, they don't want originals.

No need to send a lot of pictures, choose 2 or 3 also photocopies of your reservations plus the boarding passes. Copies of phone bills are also good. Send a few copies of emails if you want, although email is not really considered primary proof.

Edited by trailmix

Hi!

My husband and I are getting together all the papers to send the CR-1 visa.

Regarding the I-130 package I have some questions that I hope you can help me :)

1) Regarding the proof of bonifide relationship/marriage I made a compilation of all our pictures (including the ones from our wedding), I have all my phones bills and they all show that I called him several times, I have all my boarding passes plus the reservation from expedia with the payment, also we have saved all our emails. My question is should I send my original phone bills our just send a few, also should I send my boarding passes or should I make photocopies and save it for the interview??

I'm just scared of sending all my ''proofs'' and then not having them if I need it later..

2) Does anyone have a sample of the cover letter?? I have no idea how to set it.

3) Does anyone knows how to find a certified translator? Have to be one in the USA? (I have documents in Spanish as for the police record I'm trying to figure it out where to find a translator

Thanks, hope you can help me ;)

As trailmix said, don't send originals. You can send photocopies and just bring the originals to the interview and if they ask to see the originals, you'll have them.

Perhaps you could just use as an example of the cover letter, the one for the 129F? You'd have to change it a bit. The cover letter is basically just stating what you're sending and enclosing. It just tops the package you're sending and detailing what's enclosed.

I don't know that you have to have a certified translator do you? If it does say that it must be someone certified, perhaps you could call a local university or community college, the local YMCA, or find a church that is holding ESL classes.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Thank you all for your answers :)

I wasn't sure about sending all original papers or not. I'll send copies and a few pictures that show our 3 1/2 years relationship plus some wedding pictures.

For the certified translator it is for the 2nd part of the visa process

I found this on the U.S departement of State:

( http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html )

''Translation Requirements

All documents not in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator that states that the:

* Translation is accurate, and

* Translator is competent to translate. ''

Because I speak French and Spanish too, so I could translate all the documents that are not in English. But, the say certified translation, so I don't know if it as to be a certified translator. In Quebec, the translator that are accepted by the government are part of a professional order and have a ID number and a stamp. So I don't know if it is like that in the U.S..

OUR LOVE STORY

2006-04: Introduced by friends while vacations in Nicaragua

2006-07: I moved back to Montreal and relationship started

2008-05-07: He propose =)

2009-07-18: We got married in Laval, Qc.

USCIS

2009-11-13: I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

2009-11-23: I-130 NOA 1

2010-03-01: I-130 NOA 2

NVC

2010-03-08: NVC case number assigned

2010-03-18: Sent DS-3032

2010-03-18: Paid AOS Fee online

2010-04-28: Sent I-864 package

2010-04-20: Paid IV Fee Bill

2010-05-29: Sent DS-230 package

2010-06-23: Received RFE for DS-230 missing document

2010-07-05: Receive mail but will take 6 to 8 weeks to process mail :S!!

2010-08-10: SNF case complete

Thank you all for your answers :)

I wasn't sure about sending all original papers or not. I'll send copies and a few pictures that show our 3 1/2 years relationship plus some wedding pictures.

For the certified translator it is for the 2nd part of the visa process

I found this on the U.S departement of State:

( http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html )

''Translation Requirements

All documents not in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator that states that the:

* Translation is accurate, and

* Translator is competent to translate. ''

Because I speak French and Spanish too, so I could translate all the documents that are not in English. But, the say certified translation, so I don't know if it as to be a certified translator. In Quebec, the translator that are accepted by the government are part of a professional order and have a ID number and a stamp. So I don't know if it is like that in the U.S..

Thanks for quoting this Marie, but I'm still thinking that "certified" just means that what's translated must be accompanied by the statements that the translation is accurate and that the person is competent to translate. I dont' know that that means they must be "certified" to translate does it? I don't know...maybe someone else can answer this. I would shy away from you yourself translating, just because it might be seen as a conflict of interest?

I'm going to message trailmix and see what she thinks! :lol:

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

:lol:

Well I think....

I have seen both here on VJ, people who have had the translation notarized and people who haven't. I agree with Carla that when they say certified they mean the person needs to state that they are competent in both languages - as in, I certify that I am fluent in both English and Spanish and that this is a true and accurate translation of this document to English - kind of thing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.