Fratesmj

Rules once a K-1 Visa is received

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

I am still in the first stages of filing for a K-1 Visa for my Fiance. I have a question for those of you who have already completed everything:

I have been hearing from numerous people that you are not allowed to leave the US once the Visa is received. Is this true? Is there a document or literature on this that I can read? If it is true, how long is this for? We would like to have a small ceremony in Italy, and need to know if we can after the wedding here, or if this needs to be put aside for now.

Thanks for all of your help!

K-1 visas are "single entry" visas.

You can file for Advanced Parole at the same time as Adjustment of Status though.

It allows you to come back into the country if you need to leave.

It's form I-131 if you want to look at it.

"This form is used to apply for a Travel Document, reentry permit, refugee travel document or advance parole. (if you want to leave the country before you are granted permanent residency)"

But once you get your green card you can travel again.

Edited by Rhiann

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

^^Agreed, just to add, the marriage must take place in the US.

As for your literature:

Most aliens who have pending applications for adjustment of status need to obtain an advance parole document in order to leave the United States without abandoning the pending application and to return to the United States after traveling abroad. An advance parole document is issued solely to authorize the person who travels to a U.S. port of entry to seek parole into the United States to await the adjudication of the pending application.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I am still in the first stages of filing for a K-1 Visa for my Fiance. I have a question for those of you who have already completed everything:

I have been hearing from numerous people that you are not allowed to leave the US once the Visa is received. Is this true? Is there a document or literature on this that I can read? If it is true, how long is this for? We would like to have a small ceremony in Italy, and need to know if we can after the wedding here, or if this needs to be put aside for now.

Yes, read the guides for visas. K-1 is single entry with a 6 month validity from issue. Once you enter the US it is cancelled. You can get married within 90 days and file for adjustment of status to permanent resident. When you receive the green card (or an advance parole which can be filed at the same time as the AOS) you are free to travel and return to the US. Advance parole takes 60-90 days to receive, typically. You can get them sooner for emergencies. To correct a common misconception, you can LEAVE anytime you want, but you cannot re-enter. As Italy is a VWP country you COULD leave and re-enter as a tourist but then could not adjust status. So you will just have to put international travel on hold for 90 days or so after filing for AOS, You can always get married (here or there) first and then file for a CR-1 which has no travel restriction, but takes longer to process. You pays you nickle and takes your choice.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

Yes, read the guides for visas. K-1 is single entry with a 6 month validity from issue. Once you enter the US it is cancelled. You can get married within 90 days and file for adjustment of status to permanent resident. When you receive the green card (or an advance parole which can be filed at the same time as the AOS) you are free to travel and return to the US. Advance parole takes 60-90 days to receive, typically. You can get them sooner for emergencies. To correct a common misconception, you can LEAVE anytime you want, but you cannot re-enter. As Italy is a VWP country you COULD leave and re-enter as a tourist but then could not adjust status. So you will just have to put international travel on hold for 90 days or so after filing for AOS, You can always get married (here or there) first and then file for a CR-1 which has no travel restriction, but takes longer to process. You pays you nickle and takes your choice.

so basically for that from what i reading on this topic, if you get married in the usa, and want to go out of the country for a honeymoon then you have to apply for the advanced parole thing... that makes things difficult / harder haha... this topic helped me also

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.