redBlue

when did u give up your CDN residency?

48 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Question: are the GST or whatever those random little checks the government sends every month or two? My fiance gets those all the time and I'm like "I want random checks from the government!" Haha Just curious is all.

What all should my fiance be canceling when he moves?

K-1 VISA ADVENTURE:
04-01-2012: Engaged in Detroit, Michigan at Comerica Park!
USCIS
05-02-2012: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox
05-14-2012: Received Physical NOA1
08-09-2012: Received Physical NOA2
Montreal Embassy
08-21-2012: Package 3
09-06-2012: Package 4
11-12-2012: Medical in Toronto, Ontario (Approved-Went Well! Tip: Make sure you have ALL of your vaccinations up to date when you go to your medical exam! It CAN delay things.
11-19-2012: Interview in Montreal (APPROVED!!)
11-21-2012: Received Passport and Visa Package Back From Montreal (DHL/LOOMIS OPENED OUR SEALED ENVELOPE! SENT BACK TO MONTREAL ON 11-23-2012 TO BE RESEALED)
12-04-2012: Recevied resealed Visa package from Montreal
12-23-2012: POE: Port Huron, Michigan (Everything Went Great!)
02-16-2013: Wedding Date! We're MARRIED!

AOS

06-18-2013: Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

06-20-2013: USPS Estimating Package Should Arrive in Chicago

06-24-2013: Received NOA Text and Emails for All Applications

06-27-2013: Received Physical NOAs for AOS, EAD and AP

07-16-2013: Biometrics Appointment

07-29-2013: I-485 Ready for Interview to Be Scheduled!!! YAY!!!! (No EXTREMELY Long Wait!)

08-02-2013: Received Mail with Interview Date!

09-03-2013: Interview in Detroit, Michigan (APPROVED!)

09-04-2013: EAD/AP Approved! (Even though it no longer matters because GC was approved the day before)

09-09-2013: Green Card mailed out via USPS 2-Day Air

09-11-2013: Received 2 Year Conditional Green Card in the Mail

Timeline

I'm not notifying OHIP because I have the old red/white card with no expiry, I will not use it unless I do come back to Canada for 6 months or more.

I am not notifying the DMV because I am going to use my Ontario Driver's License in the US until I can get an Ohio Driver's License.

But, I would like to know how to cancel the HST checks because I don't want to owe anybody money. I am just going to get my mom to file for me since all my papers will get sent to her house anyways. Will she just not check those as the things I am entitled for? Is there anything else special that she will have to claim on my income tax? How will it work with all my tuition overage? Will it carry on into the future years, or will I lose it? I've given my parents any extra I can every year. Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong spot..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not notifying OHIP because I have the old red/white card with no expiry, I will not use it unless I do come back to Canada for 6 months or more.

I am not notifying the DMV because I am going to use my Ontario Driver's License in the US until I can get an Ohio Driver's License.

But, I would like to know how to cancel the HST checks because I don't want to owe anybody money. I am just going to get my mom to file for me since all my papers will get sent to her house anyways. Will she just not check those as the things I am entitled for? Is there anything else special that she will have to claim on my income tax? How will it work with all my tuition overage? Will it carry on into the future years, or will I lose it? I've given my parents any extra I can every year. Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong spot..

I do believe once you come to the USA, your no entitled to OHIP--doesnt matter if ur card has an expirary date or not--its fraud

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

It is only illegal if I come back to Canada just to get medical attention. If I do come back to Ontario and reside here for 6 months, I am entitled to get the benefits again.

Eligibility

Ontario residents are eligible for provincially funded health coverage (OHIP). Generally, to be eligible for Ontario health coverage you must :

be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or among one of the newcomer to Canada groups who are eligible for OHIP as set out in Ontario’s Health Insurance Act ; and

be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period; and

be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province; and

make your primary place of residence in Ontario.

OHIP coverage normally becomes effective three months after the date you establish residency in Ontario. The ministry strongly encourages new and returning residents to purchase private health insurance in case you become ill during the OHIP waiting period.

Edited by codygrace

Timeline

It is only illegal if I come back to Canada just to get medical intention. If I do come back to Ontario and reside here for 6 months, I am entitled to get the benefits again.

Make sure you do things the correct way--as you can loose your greencard(when u get to that stage)--forget the form one should fill out when leaving for a certain amount of time---and a POE officer can see it the way he wants to.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

What form are you talking about? What am I missing here?

I havent followed ur whole story...but as a Permanent resident of the USA (greencard) one is expected to spend the majority of the time in the USA. If one wants to move back to Canada or another country for an extended amount of time,there is a form one should submit. I can't recall the form #---Doesn't pertain to me as I have dual citizenship. 6 months one should be fine, but a POE officer may see it differently.

I know BC last yr was starting to crack down on people that are no longer a resident of BC. One may want to contact OHIP and see what they have to say. When do they cut you off OHIP--the moment ur a non-resident of Canada?

Timeline

I just read their whole site, and yes, they do cut you off if Ontario is no longer your place of permanent residence. You're supposed to fill out a form and inform them you are moving to the US and send your card back in the mail. I do not know if I plan to stay in the United States forever. But, my fiance and I have decided that the US is where we want to start. I was thinking I could keep the card so that if we did ever move to Canada, I would at least be able to use again after six months. Not the case, I will have to apply for it again. Thanks for saying something though, because I would never have looked it up otherwise.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When you move to the US you need to call the CRA to cancel HST and GST checks. You have to call the international CRA office to cancel the GST check and change your resident status. I'm on my phone so I can't get the CRA number here but if you google CRA international office you should get the right result. I believe it's in Ottawa now. You'll want to do this when you have your POE date because the CRA prints off the GST/HST checks far ahead of time and they have a tendency to not listen to you and keep sending checks even when you ask them to stop. You are not eligible for GST/HST credits if you are not a resident of Canada so if you keep receiving checks after you POE make sure not to cash them, just send them back to the CRA with a letter asking them to stop sending them. Then when you file your exit tax return you just don't check off the box asking for GST/HST credits.

Timeline

I just read their whole site, and yes, they do cut you off if Ontario is no longer your place of permanent residence. You're supposed to fill out a form and inform them you are moving to the US and send your card back in the mail. I do not know if I plan to stay in the United States forever. But, my fiance and I have decided that the US is where we want to start. I was thinking I could keep the card so that if we did ever move to Canada, I would at least be able to use again after six months. Not the case, I will have to apply for it again. Thanks for saying something though, because I would never have looked it up otherwise.

Damn. I'm in the exact same situation (red&white card, not sure if we'll stay in the US forever) and I was hoping to do the same thing.

I love that red&white card. LOL.

Ex27m5.png MbP5m4.png

VJsig.jpg

Timeline

Me too! Hassle free! I want to do the morally right thing, but at the same time, I just want to keep the card with my parents and use it once I am a legal resident again. Blah. My honesty always gets the best of me! haha

• 6 months later...
Timeline

I went into Service Ontario yesterday. They allowed me to renew my Ontario driver's license, but they made me fill out forms for the Health Card saying I was moving to the US permanently. I am moving April 29th, so I asked if they could just put May 1st on the forms (I wanted to cut it off at beginning of a month). They did.. they said my OHIP would only be valid until the end of April and then they would update the system on May 1st.

If I (or either of my children) decide to come back, we have to establish residency again and there is a 3 month waiting period for OHIP benefits to take effect again.

I wanted to renew my driver's license so that I had enough time to get a Texas driver's license before it expired.

I have an online account with CRA so I updated my address on there this morning (with an effective date of May 1st) gave them my sister's address in Canada for a mailing address (for now). I am hoping that is enough to cue them to stop sending me HST and CTB. They are both direct deposits. (Keeping my Canadian bank account open).

Not sure about the Ontario benefits though (Trillium benefit)... I get a direct deposit every month for that. How do I stop that? Anybody know? It is calculated based on my federal tax return, so if I notified CRA of the move, would it automatically stop too?

Edited by Texas22

Kimberley and Richard
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Montreal, Canada
2012-01-25 : I-129F Sent
2012-01-27 : VSC Received
2012-01-31 : I-129F NOA1 Notice Date
2012-02-01 : Touch
2012-07-05 : RFE Email (after 161 days)
2012-07-11 : RFE Received in Mail
2012-07-12 : RFE Reply Sent via USPS Overnight
2012-07-13 : RFE Reply Received at VSC at 12:16 PM
2012-07-18 : Case status updated to: "Request for Evidence Response Review"
2012-09-20 : Service Request Submitted with Tier 2 ISO
2012-09-25 : NOA2 Approved after 242 days!!
2013-01-07: Medical
2013-01-22: Interview - Approved! smile.png

My blog and video review of the Montreal Hotel that we stayed in: http://fanatictourist.com/blog/travel-tales/review-le-square-phillips-hotel-and-suites-montreal-canada/

2013-04-30: POE - Sarnia / Pt. Huron

2013-05-06: Made it legal.

2013-06-10: Apply for AOS, EAD and AP

2013-08-27: EAD / AP Received
2013-09-17: Greencard Received

2013-09-28: Wedding! smile.png

2015-06-15: Sent I-751 Application - Removal of Conditions.
2015-11-23: Approved
2015-12-02: 10 yr Green Card Rec'd.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I went into Service Ontario yesterday. They allowed me to renew my Ontario driver's license, but they made me fill out forms for the Health Card saying I was moving to the US permanently. I am moving April 29th, so I asked if they could just put May 1st on the forms (I wanted to cut it off at beginning of a month). They did.. they said my OHIP would only be valid until the end of April and then they would update the system on May 1st.

If I (or either of my children) decide to come back, we have to establish residency again and there is a 3 month waiting period for OHIP benefits to take effect again.

I wanted to renew my driver's license so that I had enough time to get a Texas driver's license before it expired.

I have an online account with CRA so I updated my address on there this morning (with an effective date of May 1st) gave them my sister's address in Canada for a mailing address (for now). I am hoping that is enough to cue them to stop sending me HST and CTB. They are both direct deposits. (Keeping my Canadian bank account open).

Not sure about the Ontario benefits though (Trillium benefit)... I get a direct deposit every month for that. How do I stop that? Anybody know? It is calculated based on my federal tax return, so if I notified CRA of the move, would it automatically stop too?

I can see my Trillium info under my CRA online account as well. Is there somewhere there you can take care of it?

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.