Matt39

2nd K-1 for a different fiance questions

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi there, this is my first post and I am so thankful for all the great info this site provides. I have a few questions that I hope someone here can give me some advice for. In 1998 I brought a Filipina to the US on a K-1 visa. We were married for 10 years and have a 5 year old son. She filed for divorce last year and had another man etc. Our divorce was final this past June 4th. I met someone new online and started talking to her everyday and then I went to the Philippines this past July-August for 18 days to be with her. She is 100% the right person for me and the most amazing girl I have ever met so I filed the I-129F on August 21st.

My question is… has anyone else gotten a 2nd K-1 for another fiancé from the same embassy? Since there is only a 3 month difference between when I was officially divorced and when I applied for the I-129F, is that going to be a problem at the interview? We are already gathering lots of evidence to show our relationship is real. I think that technically we should be fine, since I am divorced and I meet her in the Philippines after I was divorced, but I am wondering if they take into account how soon after it was?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi there, this is my first post and I am so thankful for all the great info this site provides. I have a few questions that I hope someone here can give me some advice for. In 1998 I brought a Filipina to the US on a K-1 visa. We were married for 10 years and have a 5 year old son. She filed for divorce last year and had another man etc. Our divorce was final this past June 4th. I met someone new online and started talking to her everyday and then I went to the Philippines this past July-August for 18 days to be with her. She is 100% the right person for me and the most amazing girl I have ever met so I filed the I-129F on August 21st.

My question is… has anyone else gotten a 2nd K-1 for another fiancé from the same embassy? Since there is only a 3 month difference between when I was officially divorced and when I applied for the I-129F, is that going to be a problem at the interview? We are already gathering lots of evidence to show our relationship is real. I think that technically we should be fine, since I am divorced and I meet her in the Philippines after I was divorced, but I am wondering if they take into account how soon after it was?

It does not matter what happens at another consulate... you need to know specifically about Manila

moving thread to consulate forum

YMMV

Timeline

The US gov't aren't allowed to be morality police. As long as you are divorced and so single and so free to marry, you can file the second K-1. You'll have no problems even if you were in the RP before your divorce. I know of a case newly exactly like yours and my friend had no issues whatsoever although he was a little nervous.

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

They will only care,,, if there was a short marriage and therefore potential fraud. They will ask how long the

previous marriage was and possibly why the divorce. But, with the marriage being 10 years,,, You will

have ni issues.

Good Luck,

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

There should definitely be no issues. They require two years between K1s if the first one did not end in marriage, but even then you can petition for an exemption. In your case after a 10 year marriage and subsequent divorce, there shouldn't be any flags. And if the second marriage lasts "only" 10 years, you would be doing better than 50% of American-American 2nd marriages (but let's hope that it's much longer than that!). Good luck!

Edited by Kurt y Dora

5/20/08 Met through a mutual friend in Medellin

7/02/08 - 10/27/08 Visited 5 times

12/08/08 6th Visit Medellin (gave "Promise" ring to be exclusive)

1/22/09 - 6/21/09 4 more visits. 6/22/09 GOT ENGAGED!

7/25/09 11th Visit Met in Panama

9/19/09 12th Visit Met in Medellin for Dial Del Amor y Amistad

6/23-7/21 Gathered paperwork and applied for I-129F 7/24/09 USCIS acknowledges Receipt of I-129F application NOA1

9/28/09 NOA2 received!!! Only 66 days! 10/02/09 NSC Received and completed Application and sent to Bogota

10/02/09 Embassy received application (my lawyer is two weeks behind informing me - time line information learned on 10/15/09)

10/09/09 Embassy sent out Package 3 10/15/09 Package 3 not received - downloaded forms from website.

10/16/09 Submitted DS-2100 and Ds-230 to apply for interview date. 10/23/09 Received Interview date (had to call DOS)

12/09/09 Interview - VISA GRANTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1/07/10 Arrived in Miami, cleared Immigration with no problems. Arrived in Charlotte to a freaking cold spell 55 degrees colder than Dora has ever experienced.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
There should definitely be no issues. They require two years between K1s if the first one did not end in marriage, but even then you can petition for an exemption. In your case after a 10 year marriage and subsequent divorce, there shouldn't be any flags. And if the second marriage lasts "only" 10 years, you would be doing better than 50% of American-American 2nd marriages (but let's hope that it's much longer than that!). Good luck!

This information is incorrect. You DO NOT have to wait 2 years between filings. Read the instructions more carefully. What you have to do is that if you are filing another K-1 within two years of a previous one being approved, you have to file a waiver form. That is nothing but a letter signed by yourself describing the events involved the first and why that was not used or didn't work out and that you are filing for another. Very simple.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Thanks for all the responses. My fiance and I can worry a little less now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.