chicletlawrence

married in PHilippines and got a divorce in Canada

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am a Philippine citizen living and working here in Canada for more than a year now. I was married in the Philippines but filed a divorce here in Canada. The divorce was approved a month ago. And now me and my fiance (USC) are planning to get married here in Canada on November.My questions are : What last name should i use in filing our marriage license, because i used my ex husband's name in my passport. Can i use my maiden name?I know i can't change my passport to my married name or my soon to be husband's name because Philippines don't recognize the divorce. 2. If i use my maiden name in my marriage lisence or certificate will it cause any problem in US immigration because it didnt match the name in my passport and the marriage certificate? If somebody could give me some information or those people who have the same situation, i will really appreciate the help.Thank you.God Bless :innocent:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Your legal last name must be used on official documents, i.e., in this case, the one on your passport. That is the one that can be checked by the USCIS and Dept of State while processing your petition/application. To get a marriage license in a different name will only confuse everyone along the way.

Your legal last name must be used on official documents, i.e., in this case, the one on your passport. That is the one that can be checked by the USCIS and Dept of State while processing your petition/application. To get a marriage license in a different name will only confuse everyone along the way.

Alright and that makes sense. I've read in some post that incase you get greencard or citizenship they will use whatever name written in your passport .How and when can i change my passport into my new married name?This is just frustrating because i just want to move on and get rid of anything that attach me to my past marriage.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

I'm a newbie to all of this but....

Are you going to be able to apply for US Immigration via Canada? If you're not a Legal Perm Resident of Canada (due to your divorce) then wouldn't everything fall back onto the Philippines?

If you have to go through the Manila Embassy I would think that fact that you're married in PH will cause you a lot of problems.

I'm a newbie to all of this but....

Are you going to be able to apply for US Immigration via Canada? If you're not a Legal Perm Resident of Canada (due to your divorce) then wouldn't everything fall back onto the Philippines?

If you have to go through the Manila Embassy I would think that fact that you're married in PH will cause you a lot of problems.

Yes i can, as long as i am legally staying here in Canada i can apply for US immigration. The divorce i obtain here in Canada is legit, you don't have to be a permanent resident or a citizen to get a divorce here and i think it also apply in USA. I guess there won't be a problem when i come and visit Philippines as long as my ex husband won't go crazy and sue me, because if im in the Philippines i am still technically married to him. But i am not worried about that because i'm not coming back to live there anymore.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.