skinny

Texas Bank Account

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We are stuck in bureaucratic Hell!

...Texas version. After arriving in Texas last Wednesday, we headed for my bank to open an account for my fiancee. The bank requires some kind of ID with a Texas address...obviously not something you have when arriving on a K1 visa. They suggested that she apply for a Texas Drivers license and they would accept the temporary paper that is issued while waiting for the permanent license. Off to the DPS license office....It seems that Texas has recently passed a law that requires an immigration document with at least 6 months of validity...otherwise, you can't have a license. Since a K1 is only good for 90 days...we were refused...wasted trip!

What have recent arrivals in Texas done as far as identification that the bank will accept? I'm way past pissed at the bank, Texas, and all the morons who make immigration such a pain in the ####...

hey i know how u feel, it sucks but what can u do, just wait till marriage then u get ur AOS then u can get the driving licence in texas, it is only my opinion but u will get more help from other vjers, good luck. I got my wife here last week but she came on the CR1 so it means she gets the ssn and green card in mail in two weeks then she can get driving licence here in louisiana and here in louisiana the bank only require the utility bill with ehr name ( which is already got it ) and her passport to be open an account. good luck to u with all that mess in texas they cause in couple of months ago for the issuing driving licence with the immigration status. abby n sheryl

Our time line for CR1 visa took only 5 months and 1 week or 156 days; from the filing the I-130 on the 03-12-2009 to Approval of NOA2 on the 05/13/2009, then Interview on the 08/18/2009 at Manila, Philippines. We had a daughter on the 11-12-2010 named AISHA JOY means HAPPY LIFE.a1_opt-1.jpga2_opt-1.jpga3_opt-1.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Can you open a joint account for the time being since you have Texas ID? At least that way she could have a bank card and have an account to transfer money into. It's not an ideal solution but it's a fall back plan if you can't find ID for her that the bank will accept.

~ Catherine

Edited by BermyCat

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

I live in Texas and I cannot put my spouse on my bank account until he has a social security number. I can't get him medical insurance until he has a social security number. Blah blah blah. So I'm assuming he is going to be sitting around twiddling his thumbs until we get his AOS/EAD and can get that darn SSN.

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can't get an SSN if you're on a K-3?

Skinny, that's insane. They won't accept a piece of official mail, like something mailed from the government (i.e. your SSN envelope or your AOS NOA1's)? It bothers me I don't have any ID down here yet, but unfortunately Colorado requires an EAD or a GC for me to get a drivers license, so I understand your frusterations there. But when we went and had me added me to my husbands bank account they didn't require anything other than the SSN. Did you ask to speak to a supervisor and cause a stink? Sometimes thats quite effective!

I added Karin to my B of A account here in Austin shortly after she arrived - they tentatively added her to the account with the request to return with a SS# (which we did about a week later) - no problem. That is different (I suppose) than opening a new account though. Either try a joint account or a different bank.

Edited by Otto und Karin

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

I have Wells Fargo and they said he had to have a SSN to be added to my account. :angry: As far as I know with a K3, he has to have the EAD before they will issue him an SSN. I don't know why a K3 is treated so differently from a K1. Nothing against those of you on K1, but it's like we get penalized for being married and that doesn't make sense at all.

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.