Henia

Ramadan cooking

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Esalaams and saha saimkoum everyone!

I already asked on the Sultan's Kitchen but no one replied ... what is everyone cooking during Ramadan? I am up to neck in cooking, tried actually but Ramadan just begun ... need some more ideas!

BTW I am presenting what I am making in my blog:http://simplicitybythesea.blogspot.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Wa Salaam ya Henia. Wow, cooking....I been doing some SERIOUS cooking. So far on my list of things I have made are sambousas (spinich/feta, tuna, and cheese). I've made molykhia. Different chicken dishes...roasted, curried, baked. I have this super yummy chickpea curry dish, I don't know the name for it. Umm...whatelse, macaron bashabel, fried vegtable fritters.. This new dish I made Friday was this YUMMY beef tangine. For dessert I made zucchini bread (with chocolate chips - yum!), cream caramel, and basbousa. Wow....now that I read all that, I'm pretty impressed with myself. My mother has even complimented me on what a great cook I have become (of course she takes all the claim for that :P ). I'm pretty sure my hubby will be a happy man when he gets here since I do love to cook. Okay no more food talk....I'm hungry!

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The first few days I went all out with the meals. We had macaroni bechamel, chicken soup, leg of lamb, etc. Now, though, he comes home and has been well fed already by his Algerian friend who is a chef at the restaurant he works at and since I'm not as hungry as I was the first few days I just cook normal meals (steak tips and rice, baked chicken and potatoes, etc.) and I just make sure I have a soup on hand. The only thing we're kind of going all out on is desserts, which is not a good habit for me to keep up!!! OMG we got this AWESOME frosted lemon bundt cake at the store the other day. Those are no longer allowed in the house because yours truly will finish it!!! :blink::blink::blink:

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

i have actually not been doing much cooking at all, i haven't managed to find my way around our kitchen here in Egypt very well. I usually prepare suhoor, and my husband prepares iftar, and he's not much of a cook, so it's usually a simple affair. His sister took pity on us a couple days ago and sent us a huge pot of macaroni bechamel, so that lasted us a few days :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Henia ~ Wow ! You are the Martha Stewart of MENA :thumbs: Those pineapple tarts and cobbler look awesome! I really like the way your blog is designed, nice work :luv:

6042646_bodyshot_300x400.gif

weight.png

Thanks for the website!!! Everything looks so good!!!! I am not much of a cook so recipes are great for me. ha ha I am still trying to cook couscous the way I had it in Tunisia. Have not got it yet. Do you have a recipe for that??? Thanks and have a great day!!!

hi

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

I would love it if anyone would share their Egyptian recipes with me. I asked hubby to get recipes from his mom but she keeps telling him to look on the internet because I think she doesn't cook by recipes. LOL.

Betsy El Sum

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline
Betsy, tell me which dishes you'd like to cook and I'll see what I can come up with. I can prepare quite a few authentic Egyptian dishes. I make some kick azz koshary for one. :D

Ohhhh thanks Astarte!!! Koshary would be great and I would love Tahina salad (that's what hubby calls it). Also my mom in law made some wonderful dish that had a crust and ground beef in the middle almost like a meat pie type of thing. Thanks so much!!

Betsy El Sum

Filed: Timeline

You're very welcome. (F)

Hmm tahina salad...do you know what went in it besides tahina? I believe the meat pie thing you're speaking of is ko'lash or rou'aa. They're similar only ko'lash is made with phyllo and rou'aa is made with some matzo cracker looking stuff. PM me your email and I'll compile some recipes for you. You can ask the mister what he'd like you to make and disregard the rest. I do not make macarona bi bechamel because it's like meat, pasta with glue sauce so I can't help you with that one. :D

Betsy, tell me which dishes you'd like to cook and I'll see what I can come up with. I can prepare quite a few authentic Egyptian dishes. I make some kick azz koshary for one. :D

Ohhhh thanks Astarte!!! Koshary would be great and I would love Tahina salad (that's what hubby calls it). Also my mom in law made some wonderful dish that had a crust and ground beef in the middle almost like a meat pie type of thing. Thanks so much!!

It may not be traditional Moroccan fare but this weekend I made something that is a little MiddleEastern and that was chicken with artichoke hearts and black olives, which was really good and easy.

I made homemade sauce and meatballs (which hubby loves)

last week I made

beef cubes with green beans and that was called fusilia or something...I thought it came real nice and hubby liked it.

I think I may make some banana bread, oh and we are making avacado milkshakes tonight

I went to the market and got most of what i needed to make msmen...I am going to take a stab at it.

I want to make rafisa but first I will try the the msmen and see how that turns out.

I am quite excited about it.

Edited by Sandrila

http://mamamona.blogspot.com/2008/03/recipe-time.html

That's a good macarona bi bechamel recipe.

Ana oheb koshary!!!

Can I have the koshary recipe? Evidently koshary isn't customary during Ramadan so I won't be getting any of that soon. But if I can make it, I don't have to ask him to bring it home for me, sah?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Farid loves avodado milkshakes and everyone here thinks they are yucky. Farid cooks his fish and I eat whatever. Farid will eat anything I give him, he is a rolly polly.

Oct 28,2006 Met online in Yahoo messenger
Dec 2,2007 Traveled to Morocco and decided to stay
Jan 7,2008 Got married in Zaio
Mar 2,2008 Got my Moroccan residency
Oct 23,2008 Direct Consular filed at consulate
Oct 31,2008 Got interview call for Dec 22nd
Nov 11,2008 Medical exam done
Dec 22,2008 Interview and got approved
Dec 23,2008 Visa issued, thanks to God
Jan 20,2009 Flew home to Texas.
Jan 21,2009 Living and working in Los Fresnos, Texas
Oct 30,2010 Filed I-751 Lifting of Conditions
Nov 2, 2010 NOA1
Dec 10,2010 Biometrics
Mar 23,2011 Approved Lifting of Conditions
Oct 28,2011 Filed N-400 Naturalization
Nov 02,2011 NOA 1
Nov 28,2011 Recd text/email placed inline for interview schedule
Dec 01,2011 Recd text/email interview scheduled,pending letter
Jan 10,2012 Interview Date
Jan 10,2012 Interview Cancelled and will be rescheduled per
USCIS as Farid can only interview after Jan 20th
Feb 23,2012 Citizenship Interview Date-Farid passed. Wohoo
July 6,2012 Oath Ceremony-McAllen Texas

March 20,2013 Petitioned for Momma

March 9, 2015 Momma arrives in Texas to live with us.

January 30, 2016 Momma leaves back to Morocco for a visit.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.