viknkam

Wrath of Creditors

70 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

So, my fiance whom I love, is a total idiot. He wants to max out his credit before he comes here. What are the consequences? Please advise.

BTW- I am ABSOLUTELY and TOTALLY opposed to this!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
So, my fiance whom I love, is a total idiot. He wants to max out his credit before he comes here. What are the consequences? Please advise.

Well, what do you think? They can follow him around, attach his future wages, ruin your creedit once you get anything in a jpint credit situation. So you want to get married? Put his name on the electric bill to prove to USCIS you are legit? Your credit will be ruined with his. Then what? I doubt anyone will chase him around the world for a few thousand dollars, but they will mark up his and YOUR creidt. Great way to start life together. I think you just don't want him to go shopping.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

duplicate thread removed

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Well, what do you think? They can follow him around, attach his future wages, ruin your creedit once you get anything in a jpint credit situation. So you want to get married? Put his name on the electric bill to prove to USCIS you are legit? Your credit will be ruined with his. Then what? I doubt anyone will chase him around the world for a few thousand dollars, but they will mark up his and YOUR creidt. Great way to start life together. I think you just don't want him to go shopping.

I don't understand what you are saying? Could you please explain? I am not opposed to his shopping- I've even sent him $1,500 USD to take care of whatever he wants and can send more if that is not enough. I don't think it is ethical or right to do what he is doing... And as for the bills, they will most likely be in my name because I am the US Citizen.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What I think Gary_and_Alla are saying is that his debt becomes your debt when you are married. His awful credit score, as a result of the maxed out credit cards, becomes your awful credit score. This is going to affect you more than you think. I think you need to stand up to him and protect your financial future. What he is doing is simply reckless. Is this how you want to begin your marraige? Heavily in debt?

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline
What I think Gary_and_Alla are saying is that his debt becomes your debt when you are married. His awful credit score, as a result of the maxed out credit cards, becomes your awful credit score. This is going to affect you more than you think. I think you need to stand up to him and protect your financial future. What he is doing is simply reckless. Is this how you want to begin your marraige? Heavily in debt?

Good luck.

I understand that, but debt doesn't follow you across nations- or does it?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Good luck.

Ok, this isn't my area of expertise, but how is his credit debt in India going to affect her credit in the US? I wasn't aware that credit scores were maintained across international borders.

I think what SHE is saying is that HE is going to max out his credit in India before coming to the US, thinking they won't be able to do anything to him once he's here. As far as I know, he's probably right. Then again, what would happen if the marriage didn't work out and he had to return to India, or what if a family member is sick and he needs to return to visit them? :whistle:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good luck.

People are not realizing that your Fiance is in India.. Credit from India Does not follow you around to the US. They are under no jurisdiction to collect here.

Sent I-130 ---october 23rd 2006

NO1 --- November 9th 2006

RFE for marriage certificate--- Jan 03 2007

RFE sent JAN 10th 2007

NO2 Jan 28th 2007

Sent DS3020 March 14th 2007 via email

Email accepted --- March 18th 2007

Sent both I864 and DS230 April 23rd 2007

RFE For both I864 and DS230 may 10th 2007

RFE reply Sent on may 14th 2007

Case completed May 29th 2007

Medicals: October 2nd 2007

Interview: November 27th 2007 *** APROVED

Visa received November 29th 2007

POE:Detroit December 4th, 2007

Applied for SSN: December 5th, 2007 Pending

SSN Received: December 12, 2007

Green card Received: December 29,2007

I751 September 8, 2009

Biometrics October 22, 2009

I-751 Approved November 18th, 2009

Done for good!!!!!!!!

Timeline

Good luck.

People are not realizing that your Fiance is in India.. Credit from India Does not follow you around to the US. They are under no jurisdiction to collect here.

My fiance is an Indian Citizen living in the UK. He will be immigrating to the US. I hope that clears things up. :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Gary's reference was to the fact that you will need to show a commingling of assets, life in the future when Removing Conditions (and to a lesser degree for the Adjustment of Status). One of the more common ways to integrate the immigrant into the USC's financial life is by putting utilities in both names or some services in each person's name. Any credit history that may travel from the UK could impact the USC's score.

Most debt doesn't travel internationally. It would be worth checking that he doesn't do something illadvised prior to landing in the US.

Completely off topic - This is certainly behavior that one would hope isn't repeated when your lives are intertwined. The major credit reporting services do operate on both sides of the Atlantic. See this article from Creditcards.com -> http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-new...omeday-1270.php

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Credit doesnt follow country to country, but if he wants to ever go back, his credit will be ####### over there. Soooo..u know...use the best judgment on that one..

b2gel0s1sc.png

We're a April 2009 K1 filer, see our timeline for specifics....:-)

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

Date Filed : 2009-01-31

Date: 2010-02-02

Bio. Appt. : 2010-03-09

EAD received: 2010-04-01

Interview Date 2010-04-29--APPROVED!

VISA IN HAND: 2010-05-28--WAHOOO!

It can affect his international credit rating. Companies can look this up, but most choose not to.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline

I don't understand what you are saying? Could you please explain? I am not opposed to his shopping- I've even sent him $1,500 USD to take care of whatever he wants and can send more if that is not enough. I don't think it is ethical or right to do what he is doing... And as for the bills, they will most likely be in my name because I am the US Citizen.

The shopping comment was a joke, in another thread you were opposed to him shopping and delaying his arrival for two weeks.

You will eventually join your credit once you are married, it is inevitable. Most people, in order to provide evidence for the AOS, combine their names on utilities, mortgages, car ownership papers etc., or bank accounts. As soon as you do this your credit histories will be linked and his bad credit will be joined with yours (good or bad...for better or worse as they say) His actions now can have long term affects on your combined credit history. And if he chooses to pay all his debt, well, then he is adding to your combined debt. Either way you DO have something to say about that.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Good luck.

Ok, this isn't my area of expertise, but how is his credit debt in India going to affect her credit in the US? I wasn't aware that credit scores were maintained across international borders.

I think what SHE is saying is that HE is going to max out his credit in India before coming to the US, thinking they won't be able to do anything to him once he's here. As far as I know, he's probably right. Then again, what would happen if the marriage didn't work out and he had to return to India, or what if a family member is sick and he needs to return to visit them? :whistle:

He is in UK, not India (according to another of the OPs posts). Depending on the credit cards he uses and defaults on, it could follow him here. Some credit does not follow and is not reported here, it is true. Also, be aware any applications for future large credit purchases, a mortgage for example, may require he reveal his past credit history in a foreign country.

It may be a character trait to be aware of in the future.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

In addition to the good comments above, defaulting on debt is considered a criminal offense in some countries. Leaving behind a warrant for one's arrest is not the brightest way to start one's immigration journey.

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.