annelizabeth

A citizen at last

12 posts in this topic

Well, at long last, I am done with USCIS (unless I decide to bring over any family members). Last Thursday we got up early and drove 2 hours to Indianapolis to the Court House to arrive at 9am. When we found the right room there was already a long queue of people clutching their oath letters. Most of us stood and answered the questionnaire while we were waiting in line. The instructions said to wait until the day of the oath before answering. One lady had done it at home that very morning and had signed it and put her home town as the place of signing, but the officials crossed it out and wrote Indianapolis instead.

Hubby got bored with waiting and went to find a seat at the back of the courtroom, since the front part was obviously reserved for the new citizens with copies of the citizens almanac and the declaration of independence on each seat.

Eventually I got to the front of the line and the guy went over the questionnaire. He asked me if, since the date of my interview, I had .... married, divorced, left the country etc. When he got to the part about being arrested I said that I had driven particularly carefully on my way here to avoid any traffic violations and he laughed. He asked me for my green card and then told me to go find a seat in the front section.

Just after 10am the judge came in and introduced herself. There were 77 of us from many different countries. They called our names out one by one and we had to stand up and say where we were from. I agonized for ages trying to decide whether to say England, Great Britain or the United Kingdom and finally decided on Great Britain. India was the most common country of origin at that ceremony. After that, the judge invited any friends or family members who wished to take a photo to come right to the front, which was a right mad scramble! We all stood up, raised our right hands and repeated the oath line by line together. Next we all faced the flag and recited the pledge of allegiance. Oops I wish I had learned it off by heart!

The ceremony was then followed by a few speeches from various people: a message from ####### Lugar; one of the Daughters of the American Revolution presented flags to the youngest and oldest of the new citizens; the Indiana bar association; the county clerk urged us to register to vote and goodness knows who else. No film or message from Obama.

After that we all sat down again and waited to be called out one by one to receive our certificates, a little flag and some other bits and pieces before exiting the courtroom. The whole thing lasted 2 hours from arrival at 9am.

Hubby and I then went to get some celebratory lunch before driving to the airport to fly off to New Orleans for the weekend. Had a great time there! We spent several hours in Pat O'Briens piano bar where you could write requests on a napkin for the pianist to play (accompanied by some monetary reward!). Hubby kept getting his request ignored, but I wrote down that I was a brand new citizen and would she play something patriotic. My request was played right away! Everyone cheered and I had to stand up while the pianist played America the Beautiful. It was almost more special than the actual oath ceremony!

On Monday when we got home I went straight to the Post Office to put in my passport application. Ahh back to the waiting game!

Thank you all so much for your help and support over the years. We couldn't have done it without you. xxxx :dance:

Annie UK

2004 Awaiting my divorce

Decree nisi 29th July YAYYYYYYYYYY

15th Dec DIVORCED AT LAST!!!!

Dec 23 decree arrives, I-129F sent to Nebraska!!!

Dec 27 NOA1

Feb 16 2005 NOA2 (51 days)

May 17 INTERVIEW 9am!!!! (day 141) Approved

May 30 Arrived POE Chicago (flight delayed!!)

June 13 applied for SSN

June 30 Wedding on beach at sunset awwwww

AOS 2005

July 11 Sent off AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago

Sep 1 I485 transferred to CSC

Sep 15 EAD and AP approved (59 days)

Nov 25 Green card and Welcome letter arrive in mail (no interview) 130 days

Removing Conditions 2007

Aug 15 I-751 sent to Nebraska

Sep 14 NOA1 rec'd, transferred to CSC again

Sep 21 rec'd bios appt for 9/28/07

Jan 26 2008 Approved. 10 Yr card received 1/28/08.

Naturalization 2008

Sep 8 N-400 sent to Nebraska

Sep 11 Priority date

Oct 7 Biometrics

July 10 2009 - Interview, approved!

Aug 20 Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Great Britain was a good choice, if you said the United Kingdom would be like calling Texas the United States.

So Pat O'Brien is still there, eh. Still serving hurricanes, couple of those would have put you in a spin.

Wife is getting close to the one year mark for her USC, we are still married, do you still want proof of that, USCIS?

Congratulations. How can your husband get bored with USCIS affairs? One of the most interesting places I have ever visited. But have to confess, really only visited the inside of a sewer pipe.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your wonderful experienced.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Naturalization

Aug. 05, 2009......sent N-400

Aug. 06, 2009......delivered at 11:45

Aug. 17, 2009.....NOA

Sept.01, 2009.....biometric appointment

Sept.12, 2009.....rcved interview letter

Oct. 19, 2009.....date of interview....passed!!!!!

Nov. 18, 2009.....Oath Ceremony...yahooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations, what a great review! I love the story of playing America the Beautiful for you in the bar in New Orleans - yes, I can see that would be a very special moment.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Congrats annelizabeth! :) Nice end to a long journey (I see your citizenship process took close to a year!) Since my husband just took his oath today, I found it really interesting to compare how the oath ceremonies are organized in different places!

JOURNEY HIGHLIGHTS

04/23/05: Sent fiance petition (I-129F) to VSC

10/26/05: K-1 visa in hand

02/17/06: Flight to U.S. - POE Anchorage

03/01/06: We got married!!

03/04/06: Applied for Adjustment of Status

07/31/06: Received 2-Year Green Card in the mail

04/08/08: Sent application for Removal of Conditions to VSC

03/20/09: Received 10-year Green Card in the mail

04/11/09: Mailed N-400 application to Lewisville, TX Lockbox

08/18/09: Citizenship interview in Garden City, NY

08/27/09: Sworn in as a U.S. Citizen in Brooklyn Court House

08/29/09: Applied for U.S. Passport (routine service)

09/25/09: Received U.S. Passport in the mail

* Our Journey is Complete ! *

congratulations....now take him for half of everything....just joking.

:jest: I really should stop saying things like that - I think hubby is beginning to get a complex LOL!

Annie UK

2004 Awaiting my divorce

Decree nisi 29th July YAYYYYYYYYYY

15th Dec DIVORCED AT LAST!!!!

Dec 23 decree arrives, I-129F sent to Nebraska!!!

Dec 27 NOA1

Feb 16 2005 NOA2 (51 days)

May 17 INTERVIEW 9am!!!! (day 141) Approved

May 30 Arrived POE Chicago (flight delayed!!)

June 13 applied for SSN

June 30 Wedding on beach at sunset awwwww

AOS 2005

July 11 Sent off AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago

Sep 1 I485 transferred to CSC

Sep 15 EAD and AP approved (59 days)

Nov 25 Green card and Welcome letter arrive in mail (no interview) 130 days

Removing Conditions 2007

Aug 15 I-751 sent to Nebraska

Sep 14 NOA1 rec'd, transferred to CSC again

Sep 21 rec'd bios appt for 9/28/07

Jan 26 2008 Approved. 10 Yr card received 1/28/08.

Naturalization 2008

Sep 8 N-400 sent to Nebraska

Sep 11 Priority date

Oct 7 Biometrics

July 10 2009 - Interview, approved!

Aug 20 Oath ceremony

Congratulations! :dance::dance:

threemonths09.jpg?t=1272087150Princess-Threemonthsold007-2.jpg?t=1271837591threemonths01-1.jpg?t=1272086957

Our Princess have her first tooth at five months of age.

fEdIm5.png?J2iWLNZY

I-130 (IR-5) Petitions for my Mom and Dad

*06-08-2010---Petition will send on this date???

YAY congratulations!!! :D Sounds like the trip to NOLA was the perfect ending to the story. We'll have to consider something like that when hubby's time comes!

SA4userbar.jpg

Now America is more beautiful

October 22nd 2009 at 2:00 P.M. OATH COMPLETED

Oct. 22 9:05 A.M. Atlanta interview date for naturalization

Aug. 15 Received YELLOW LETTER, we are to bring to the interview state driver's license

Aug. 6, 2009 N.O.A. fingerprint appointment

June 29, 2009 Notice receipt date and priority date

June 25, 2009 Filed for naturalization

April 30, 2008 Filed for John's dual citizenship

April 24, 2008 JOHN BORN

Dec. 18, 2007 Completed first semester, an 'A' average

Sept. 21, 2007 Doctor reported, "your wife is two months with child"

Aug. 22, 2007 rose starts college

May 09, 2007 rose receives license to drive and drives us home.

Jan. 24, 2007 returned to Alabama

Dec. 28, 2007 remarried in Philippines, I promised her a Filipino wedding

Nov. 27, 2006 returned to Philippines

Aug. 01, 2006 rose receives P.G.C., no interviews here, no conditional card

July 25, 2006 received email - Approval

July 18, 2006 mailed update

July 07, 2006 R.F.E, update on income

June 26, 2006 We mailed hand-written letter requesting status of A.O.S.

Jan. 24, 2006 Biometrics completed, again

Nov. 02, 2005 R.F.E.

Sept. 20, 2005 A.O.S. transferred to C.S.C.

April 11, 2005 JAMES, BORN

July 22, 2004 A.O.S. receipt date, Atlanta

June 22, 2004 married

June 10, 2004 rose arrives in Alabama

May 23, 2004 Visa arrives

May 05, 2004 Embassy interview

Feb. 03, 2004 I-129 approved

Sept. 03, 2003 I-129 receipt date

Aug. 16, 2003 met Rose in Cebu

Jan. 20, 2003 mailed letter to her and waited

Jan. 20, 2003 read Rose's profile on website

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.