pandya

Green Card Expired and have not filed I-751

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi All,

A friend of mine (citizenship India) got married to a US citizen. She came to the US in on CR-1 visa in Aug 2007. Her Green Card expired last month and she has not filed I-751 or any paper work to remove the condition on her residency.

Can someone please:

- Explain the consequences here?

- What actions she can take to stay in the US? She had a baby just last month.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

File it ASAP

Edited by NArocks

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Filed: Timeline

From the USCIS site:

What if I am Late in Applying to Remove the Conditions on Residence?

If you fail to properly file the Form I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence) within the 90-day period before your second anniversary as a conditional resident, your conditional resident status will automatically be terminated and the USCIS will order removal proceedings against you. You will receive a notice from the USCIS telling you that you have failed to remove the conditions, and you will also receive a Notice to Appear at a hearing. At the hearing you may review and rebut the evidence against you. You are responsible for proving that you complied with the requirements (the USCIS is not responsible for proving that you did not comply with the requirements).

The Form I-751 can be filed after the 90-day period if you can prove in writing to the director of the Service Center that there was good cause for failing to file the petition on time. The director has the discretion to approve the petition and restore your permanent resident status.

Link

iagree.gif

Timeline

Hi All,

A friend of mine (citizenship India) got married to a US citizen. She came to the US in on CR-1 visa in Aug 2007. Her Green Card expired last month and she has not filed I-751 or any paper work to remove the condition on her residency.

Can someone please:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Your friend has made a very serious mistake. She has known the expiration date of her card since it was issued.

There is an "unofficial" grace period for filing for removal of conditions, but she needs to file right away. Currently she is out of status and seen to have abandoned her residency. In that case her husband would have to petition for her again.

Worst case would be that she would have to leave the US. Have her take care of this ASAP!!

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Timeline
Hi All,

Can someone please:

termination of status followed by a removal. $$$ wasted on lawyers, nothing else lost!

From the USCIS site:

What if I am Late in Applying to Remove the Conditions on Residence?

If you fail to properly file the Form I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence) within the 90-day period before your second anniversary as a conditional resident, your conditional resident status will automatically be terminated and the USCIS will order removal proceedings against you. You will receive a notice from the USCIS telling you that you have failed to remove the conditions, and you will also receive a Notice to Appear at a hearing. At the hearing you may review and rebut the evidence against you. You are responsible for proving that you complied with the requirements (the USCIS is not responsible for proving that you did not comply with the requirements).

The Form I-751 can be filed after the 90-day period if you can prove in writing to the director of the Service Center that there was good cause for failing to file the petition on time. The director has the discretion to approve the petition and restore your permanent resident status.

Link

USCIS is sometimes lenient when applying late. Main thing is to get the I-751 submitted ASAP as Narocks mentioned.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

From the USCIS site:

Was there a good reason for not filing on time? :bonk:

24q38dy.jpg

From the USCIS site:

Was there a good reason for not filing on time? :bonk:

Coma?

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

File I-751 ASAP and hopefully USCIS will consider the application and would not remove your friend, but she better have a very good reason for not filing on time. Good Luck to her.

HELEN

agif003.gif

22 February 2010 - mailed the N-400 packet

02 March 2010 - Check encashed/I-797C NOA

03 March 2010 - USCIS Acceptance Confirmation via e-mail and text message

06 March 2010 - received I-797C, Notice of Action/Receipt

01 April 2010 - Biometrics Appointment (Biometrics done 4/7/10)

27 April 2010 - received I-797C/ Request to Appear for Naturalization Interview

02 June 2010 - Interview schedule

17 June 2010 - Oath Taking (Memorial Auditorium, Sacramento, CA)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hi All,

Can someone please:

I really don't understand people that can 'forget' such a MASSIVE thing in their lives!!

(if I post the same thing in a few years... someone shoot me! lol)

Dave

UK-US%20Flags2.gif

Hi All,

Can someone please:

I really don't understand people that can 'forget' such a MASSIVE thing in their lives!!

Careful what you type Dave. Your posts are saved on this website, and I have a memory like an elephant ;-) Howz about we ask you to eat a hat rather than get the guns out :-)

I agree with previous posters. Your friend must act NOW. This is not one of those things that will go away, and ignorance is not going to create bliss in this situation.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Timeline
Hi All,

Can someone please:

Careful what you type Dave. Your posts are saved on this website, and I have a memory like an elephant ;-) Howz about we ask you to eat a hat rather than get the guns out :-)

I agree with previous posters. Your friend must act NOW. This is not one of those things that will go away, and ignorance is not going to create bliss in this situation.

Thank you all for your replies. Does anyone in this forum know what are some of the acceptable explanations for such a mistake? Her reasoning is that she was pregnant and in oversight forgot to file in time...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.