Montana + Joseph

Help understanding I-129F

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Here's our story. 5 & a half years ago, I met the love of my life online. He currently lives in England & I live in Wisconsin.

We spent 2 weeks in 2007 touring England, Ireland, Norway & France. He recently stayed at my place for 3 weeks and the day he had to leave was the saddest day in my life.

Ideally, we would like to be together in the US by late May/early June 2010 & be married in mid-August.

The thing we're having trouble understanding is how old the petitioner has to be before filing the petition. Some places say 18. Others say 21.

I will not be 18 until February 2010. Can we send the petition now without it being denied once processed? The legal age to get married in Wisconsin is 16 with parental consent, so if we attach the notarized document (or copies of) is there still a chance of it being denied solely on my age?

I have tried calling & spoke to two different representatives. The first said that there is no age requirement when filing the I-129F petition. The second rep said that I must be 18 before I can file. I can't seem to find a direct answer from the USCIS anywhere online.

If it is denied, do we have to send another $455 to the USCIS? Can we resend the petition once I'm 18 if it is denied? Do they void the first check if the first petition is denied?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My belief is 18 to file as the petitioner. As you stated yourself you need parental consent to marry in your state at the age of 16.

Did you already send it In and this is why you are concerned with having to pay another $455.00 ?

Edited by PanamaJack

11-27-2009 I-129F Sent out USPS Priority mail

11-30-2009 I-129F Recieved Vermont Service Center Signed for by D. Renaud

12-01-2009 NOA-1

12-03-2009 Check Cashed

12-09-2009 NOA-1 Hard Copy Recieved

03-18-2010 NOA-2

03-22-2010 NVC Recieved File

03-23-2010 NVC Sent File to Consulate

03-23-2010 NOA-2 Hard Copy Recieved

03-25-2010 Bogota Consulate Recieved Case

03-30-2010 Pak # 3 Sent to Consulate

04-14-2010 Pak # 3 Recieved

05-03-2010 Lab work done..

05-05-2010 Medical Exam -- PASSED --

05-12-2010 INTERVIEW ......

05-13-2010 Visa pending a DAS certificate for USC Petitioner.............

06-17-2010 2ND. INTERVIEW Date.

06-17-2010 VISA APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

06-24-2010 VISA Recieved

06-25-2010 POE Orlando Florida

07-10-2010 Married

08-10-2010 Sent the I-485 pak out to Chicago

08-12-2010 Chicago lockbox recieved AOS pak.

08-19-2010 Recipt Notice for I-485 Pak

08-20-2010 Check Cashed for I-485 Pak

09-14-2010 Case Transferred to CSC

10-04-2010 Biometrics Appt.letter recieved

10-12-2010 Biometrics Appointment

10-15-2010 EAD card production ordered.

10-21-2010 EAD Card Recieved.................

11-03-2010 Social Security Card recieved in Mail

02-11-2011 Case transferred to Local USCIS office.

02-18-2011 Recieved Interview Notice in the Mail

03-24-2011 AOS Interview Date ..... GREEN CARD APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!

03-30-2011 Card Production Ordered.......

04-19-2011 Green Card Recieved....26 days after interview....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If your petition is denied, you can refile and start from the beginning, including paying another $455

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

wow, you were 11 when you met the love of your life?

K-1
Mar 19, 2009 I-129F Package sent
Mar 30, 2009 NOA1
Jul 27, 2009 RFE Notice Email / Jul 31, 2009 RFE Letter Received / Aug 01, 2009 RFE Reply sent
Aug 06, 2009 NOA2
Aug 17, 2009 NVC received case / Aug 18, 2009 NVC forwarded to USEM / Aug 24, 2009 Package received in USEM
Sep 01, 2009 Medical Passed
Sep 25, 2009 Interview
Oct 10, 2009 Visa Received
Oct 14, 2009 Arrived at U.S.
Oct 26, 2009 Married in San Francisco

AOS
Nov 12, 2009 I-485 Package sent
Nov 19, 2009 NOA1
Dec 08, 2009 RFE Received / Dec 23, 2009 RFE Reply sent

Dec 17, 2009 Biometrics Appt
Jan 20, 2010 AP and EAD approved / Jan 26, 2010 AP received
Jan 27, 2010 Interview letter received
Feb 25, 2010 AOS Interview
Mar 04, 2010 Green Card Received

Removal of Conditions
Dec 21, 2011 I-751 Package sent

Dec 23, 2011 NOA1

Feb 13, 2012 Biometrics Appt

Jun 19, 2012 10-year GC Received

US Citizenship
Jan 16, 2013 N-400 Package sent

Jan 22, 2013 NOA1

Feb 15, 2013 Biometrics Appt

Apr 02, 2013 Citizenship Interview

Apr 23, 2013 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Here's our story. 5 & a half years ago, I met the love of my life online. He currently lives in England & I live in Wisconsin.

We spent 2 weeks in 2007 touring England, Ireland, Norway & France. He recently stayed at my place for 3 weeks and the day he had to leave was the saddest day in my life.

Ideally, we would like to be together in the US by late May/early June 2010 & be married in mid-August.

The thing we're having trouble understanding is how old the petitioner has to be before filing the petition. Some places say 18. Others say 21.

I will not be 18 until February 2010. Can we send the petition now without it being denied once processed? The legal age to get married in Wisconsin is 16 with parental consent, so if we attach the notarized document (or copies of) is there still a chance of it being denied solely on my age?

I have tried calling & spoke to two different representatives. The first said that there is no age requirement when filing the I-129F petition. The second rep said that I must be 18 before I can file. I can't seem to find a direct answer from the USCIS anywhere online.

If it is denied, do we have to send another $455 to the USCIS? Can we resend the petition once I'm 18 if it is denied? Do they void the first check if the first petition is denied?

Any person which states ANY age is wrong. There is NO "age" restriction and you can read the instructions 6 ways from Sunday and never find one because it isn't there.

You MUST be "free to marry" in the jurisdiction in which you intend to marry BEFORE you file the petition. In most cases, that is 18 years old. Some states allow earlier marriage with parent's permission. Our state, Vermont, allows marriage at age 16 with parent's permission. If your state allows this you could file tomorrow if you include permission statements from your parents and a copy of the state's marriage requirement statutes.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Sorry...to answer your last questions...

1. There is no reason to deny if you document you are free to marry. The USCIS does not judge such things. You qualify or you don't. Just document very thoroughly that your permission meets the state requirements for such. Also your fiance will need to be free to marry in Wisconsin. If he is over age 18, no problem.

2. If denied, YES you will have to re-file and send another $455

3. Yes, you can re-send when 18, and pay another $455

4. Checks are deposited ASAP, never voided

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Any person which states ANY age is wrong. There is NO "age" restriction and you can read the instructions 6 ways from Sunday and never find one because it isn't there.

You MUST be "free to marry" in the jurisdiction in which you intend to marry BEFORE you file the petition. In most cases, that is 18 years old. Some states allow earlier marriage with parent's permission. Our state, Vermont, allows marriage at age 16 with parent's permission. If your state allows this you could file tomorrow if you include permission statements from your parents and a copy of the state's marriage requirement statutes.

Are you absolutely sure about this? Most governments have some sort of minimal age for signing legal documents. Contracts entered into by four year olds, for example, are generally not valid.

Timeline
wow, you were 11 when you met the love of your life?

All I'm asking is for some help from other people who are going through the same thing we are & might have a better understanding than we do at this point. I didn't sign up to be judged or criticized because of my age.

You are aware you will need to fill out the Affidavit of Support and will need to be able to support the two of you 125% above the line of poverty or obtain a co-sponsor.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Timeline
You are aware you will need to fill out the Affidavit of Support and will need to be able to support the two of you 125% above the line of poverty or obtain a co-sponsor.

We have no problem getting co-sponsors. What exactly is 125% above the poverty line? & do we have to send the Affidavit of Support with the petition or does that come after? I appreciate everyone helping us get a better understanding.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You both have to include a letter stating that you are able to marry and intend to marry. If, when you send in the petition, you are not able to marry (meaning legally of age in your state) then that is against the requirements and your petition will be denied. You need to wait until you are of legal age to marry in your state to mail in your petition. Then you wait the normal process and the beneficiary can come over. Sri, but regs are the regs. Take the time to build your relationship.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

You both have to include a letter stating that you are able to marry and intend to marry. If, when you send in the petition, you are not able to marry (meaning legally of age in your state) then that is against the requirements and your petition will be denied. You need to wait until you are of legal age to marry in your state to mail in your petition. Then you wait the normal process and the beneficiary can come over. Sri, but regs are the regs. Take the time to build your relationship.

It is legal to get married in Wisconsin under the age of 18 with parental consent. If I send the parental consent (which I COULD easily get if needed) along with the petition, then it should be legal, shouldn't it?

& we have been building our relationship for nearly 6 years. We're ready for the next step. Please don't judge its strength on what little I've told you or how old I am. All I'm asking for is some answers from others who understand what we're going through.

It is legal to get married in Wisconsin under the age of 18 with parental consent. If I send the parental consent (which I COULD easily get if needed) along with the petition, then it should be legal, shouldn't it?

& we have been building our relationship for nearly 6 years. We're ready for the next step. Please don't judge its strength on what little I've told you or how old I am. All I'm asking for is some answers from others who understand what we're going through.

I don't think that they were trying to tell you how to live your life. I think they were suggesting that if you do have to wait to be a legal age to marry in order to file the petition that you can use the time to continue to build your relationship. No harm in that. Everyone should continue to build their relationship. At least to me it did not seem like a judgmental comment.

PS Believe me, I am only a few years older than you and have found you will probably receive your share of judgmental comments from other people who will judge you before they even know you and may even say that he is just getting married to you for the green card. Now we know that is not true, but unfortunately people talk about things they know nothing of. Be happy for the people who are genuinely trying to help you, such as most of the people on these boards. Just my extra 2 p...

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Timeline
I don't think that they were trying to tell you how to live your life. I think they were suggesting that if you do have to wait to be a legal age to marry in order to file the petition that you can use the time to continue to build your relationship. No harm in that. Everyone should continue to build their relationship. At least to me it did not seem like a judgmental comment.

PS Believe me, I am only a few years older than you and have found you will probably receive your share of judgmental comments from other people who will judge you before they even know you and may even say that he is just getting married to you for the green card. Now we know that is not true, but unfortunately people talk about things they know nothing of. Be happy for the people who are genuinely trying to help you, such as most of the people on these boards. Just my extra 2 p...

You're right. I apologize. I do genuinely appreciate the help from all of you. I'm just very confused & frustrated by the mixed answers. Not even the USCIS reps could give a straight answer. :( I plan to call again tomorrow & hopefully get someone who can help this time. If I send in the parental consent with the petition and it is denied, I'm scared of having to start the whole process over. But because the time varies so much with each case, if we send it near the time I turn 18 and it takes longer than usual to process, I'll most likely post pone college til the spring or fall of 2011 to ensure we have all the proper paperwork, etc. ready by the time we have to, you know?

Timeline

You're right. I apologize. I do genuinely appreciate the help from all of you. I'm just very confused & frustrated by the mixed answers. Not even the USCIS reps could give a straight answer. :( I plan to call again tomorrow & hopefully get someone who can help this time. If I send in the parental consent with the petition and it is denied, I'm scared of having to start the whole process over. But because the time varies so much with each case, if we send it near the time I turn 18 and it takes longer than usual to process, I'll most likely post pone college til the spring or fall of 2011 to ensure we have all the proper paperwork, etc. ready by the time we have to, you know?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.