Holliday

Crossing the border before moving with a CR-1

9 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of driving to the nearest POE within the next few days just to get the ball rolling on stuff. I don't have a set moving date yet, but I know it will be within the next 2 weeks or so. So yeah, I might drive to the border, take care of whatever needs to be taken care of there with processing the CR-1 (or whatever the correct terminology is. processing/activating/using... you know what I mean), and then I'll turn around and drive back to Ottawa.

Here's the upside that I see:

- Spending a few hours now will save time on moving day (potentially) at the border.

- I'll know in advance if I'm going to have any problems importing my car, and I'll have the time to fix these problems. Or, I won't have any problems importing it and then won't have to worry about it on the actual moving day.

- I'll be getting rid of the "DO NOT OPEN" envelope. That thing scares the ####### out of me. Heh. I'm quite sure nobody at my house is going to open it (especially since it's hidden), but I know I'll feel better when it's out of my possession.

- I won't have to wait as long after I move for my green card to arrive in the mail.

- I won't have to wait as long after I move for my SSN (and will likely at least be 'in the system' shortly after I move, which will allow me to sort other stuff out more quickly, right?)

I've done some searching on the board here, and I have read that others have done the same thing without any issues. I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything, and that I have all of my angles covered here. Any advice?

02/13/09 -

:)

02/19/09 - I-130 mailed out

02/27/09 - NOA1

03/19/09 - NOA2

05/07/09 - NVC CASE COMPLETE!

06/23/09 - Received interview appointment letter via email! Yay!

08/19/09 -Interview! SUCCESS!! (Wanna read a ridiculously long interview review? Click the link!)

08/21/09 - Visa received!

09/11/09 - POE (Alexandria Bay, NY)

09/28/09 - Received Permanent Resident card

06/28/11 - Sent 1-751 to VSC

07/29/11 - Biometrics appointment (OKC)

01/20/12 - I-751 approved!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I did not cross and turn right around but I did come back to Canada week or so later. I then returned (after 3 days in Canada) to the US for about a month before returning one last time to close my house. It was definitely a good idea for me to make the first trip to take care of all of the paperwork as you have mentioned.

Interestingly though when I was returning to the US after my first trip back to Canada, the border officer asked me why I had returned to Canada so soon after entering on my visa. :wacko: I found this strange as I had only been out of the US for 3 days at that point. Isn't that the point of the CR1/ IR1; it is a multiple entry visa.

I had no issues on any of the crossings, however, with household goods I had in my car (packed to the rafters all trips!) I imported my car at the original POE. The final time I returned to the US the only question I was asked was whether or not I had in fact imported my car. I replied that I did it the previous month and all was good. (BTW I just traded my car in and the dealer did not even ask for any of the forms I was given at the border.)

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Thanks a bunch, OBX! :) Hearing first-hand experience is really reassuring.

I think maybe I'll give it a shot tomorrow!

02/13/09 -

02/27/09 - NOA1

03/19/09 - NOA2

08/19/09 -Interview! SUCCESS!! (Wanna read a ridiculously long interview review? Click the link!)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We're a ways behind you (done @ NVC on June 4th) but I don't see any issue with it. We're right on the border and my wife crosses just about daily to see me (yes, we're very lucky with that).

When she eventually gets her IR1 visa, she'll cross & take care of the immigration stuff. Then cross again to import the car. Then frequently with personal belongings. And lastly with a truck with the rest of our stuff. You don't have to import the car when you do the immigration - she called & asked and the customs guy specifically said she wouldn't have to. You just need a list of everything you're bringing in, and personally I'd include everything in the car on that list down to the ice-scraper & CDs.

She's almost on first name basis with the folks at the border anyway. Well, perhaps not. :) She has only had a hard time three times in the past two years of doing this; each time when renewing her I94 (she's a UK citizen, not Canadian; Canadian PR - long story). The first was because she was bringing three of my shirts over (do NOT try this), the second was because he was just grumpy, and the third time was because the woman just didn't believe that she really lived in Canada. *Sigh*.

Ah well, that didn't quite work. I went to the POE at Ogdensburg to see if I could get the ball rolling, but they wouldn't admit me with my CR-1 visa today. I told the guy at the booth thingy what my plan was, and he told me to park and go inside. The lady there said she wasn't able to process everything in advance because I have no proof that I will be moving. Heh. She said that I need proof that I'm moving because otherwise people could just use their visa and then go home and never take up residence in the U.S. and then that is taking a spot away from another person who wants to move. I don't necessarily agree with that logic (you know, since there isn't a cap on spousal visas for U.S. citizens), but I wasn't going to argue with her. She was really polite and friendly and stuff, and it didn't seem at all like she was on any kind of power trip, or that she didn't want to take the time to process the paperwork. So I was just admitted as a visitor for today, but I just drove around for a few minutes and then went back to Canada. Oh well. It was a nice day for a drive. :)

Now I'm trying to think of ways to prove when I'm moving, but I'm not coming up with anything, so I guess I'll just have to wait until I actually move.

02/13/09 -

02/27/09 - NOA1

03/19/09 - NOA2

Timeline

weird!! others have done it it with no problems at all!! But like what has been said a zillion times---nothing is standardized at the POE's!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

OK, so we used to live in Ottawa and cross often at Ogdensburg and I hate to say this (and it's probably unfair) but they just don't have quite as good a grasp on the whole immigration thing as they should. They once told my wife that the only way she could hand in her I94 (visa waiver card) was in person at a land border. Um, no . . . and she got into trouble when she next crossed because she believed them and her I94 was well past its expiry date . . .

You really SHOULD have been able to cross. There's no reason why not. Is your spouse already in the US? If so, I'd try taking your marriage certificate and some proof that he's there; because really, even if you turn up with a truckload of stuff, how is that "proving" that you're moving to the US???? I mean, you could theoretically turn right around and come back again with that same truckload of stuff, right?

OK, so we used to live in Ottawa and cross often at Ogdensburg and I hate to say this (and it's probably unfair) but they just don't have quite as good a grasp on the whole immigration thing as they should. They once told my wife that the only way she could hand in her I94 (visa waiver card) was in person at a land border. Um, no . . . and she got into trouble when she next crossed because she believed them and her I94 was well past its expiry date . . .

You really SHOULD have been able to cross. There's no reason why not. Is your spouse already in the US? If so, I'd try taking your marriage certificate and some proof that he's there; because really, even if you turn up with a truckload of stuff, how is that "proving" that you're moving to the US???? I mean, you could theoretically turn right around and come back again with that same truckload of stuff, right?

Hehe you raise good points there, sir! You've definitely got me thinking here. I may have had better luck if I had driven the extra 60kms to the POE at Alexandria Bay or something. And yeah, my husband is in the U.S. right now. He'll actually be flying up here next Friday (YAAAAY!) and then we'll be driving to the U.S. together for the actual move (with all of my stuff) a week or so later. And he's adding me and my car to his insurance this week, so that I'll be all set to register my car when I arrive... maybe that could count as proof that I'm moving? I suppose I could always call someone at the border and ask them if I should give it a shot. That may be the best idea. Or I could just forget it and wait til I move.

Can you tell I reeeaaaallly don't want to start packing? I'm super fixated on other stuff.

02/13/09 -

02/27/09 - NOA1

03/19/09 - NOA2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Procrastinator. Get your ####### together. :lol:

I'm having one of those moments tonight where I can't believe this is really happening. How many times do you have to pinch yourself to realize it's true? I just can't believe that I'm leaving in the morning and when my husband comes back with me on Sunday, it will be permanently. Wow. No more solo drives to Canada every other week. Too weird. #######, no more Timbits unless I drive to Lansing or Detroit. :crying:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.