Brian&Lia

what is best for me K1 or K3

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello all,

My situation.

I am US citizen working on contract in Saudia Arabia until April 2010. I don't have the luxury to just leave here at any time. I have vacation in October and plan to meet my fiance in the USA and would like to get married. She will return to Brazil after my vacation until I complete my contract in Saudi Arabia in April.

She is from Brazil has visitor visa and been to the USA many times.

1) Can we get married in October?

2) Does this pose a problem or is it best to wait and file K1?

3) Can I start K3 filing now or have to wait until married if we can in fact get married in October?

Oh...we prefer not to wait to get married.

Thank you...this whole proess is killing us.

1) Can we get married in October? You may, yes.

2) Does this pose a problem or is it best to wait and file K1? People come to the US to get married every day - even non-citizen couples. Doing so eliminates the K-1 though, leaving you with either the K-3 or CR-1 options.

3) Can I start K3 filing now or have to wait until married if we can in fact get married in October? No - must be married at the time you file.

Do you plan to return to the US once your contract is up in April?

The K-1 may not be your best choice given what you've described - I mean October is very close now - if you're determined to get married in October, then you're only other alternatives are the K-3 or CR-1.

Edited by Otto und Karin

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
1) Can we get married in October? You may, yes.

2) Does this pose a problem or is it best to wait and file K1? People come to the US to get married every day - even non-citizen couples. Doing so eliminates the K-1 though, leaving you with either the K-3 or CR-1 options.

3) Can I start K3 filing now or have to wait until married if we can in fact get married in October? No - must be married at the time you file.

Do you plan to return to the US once your contract is up in April?

The K-1 may not be your best choice given what you've described - I mean October is very close now - if you're determined to get married in October, then you're only other alternatives are the K-3 or CR-1.

Yes, I plan to return to the US in October and live.

We really want to marry in October. If my finace comes to US under Visitor Visa would that be a problem?

After we are married we can file K-3 or CR-1 while I am in Saudi for the next few months correct?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The K-1 would be best the K-3 is for already married couples and you are not here for her arrival.

My reason is this on the K-1 Visa

First it will take about 6 months to get through the process. Filing and then her

interview in her country. that puts you into about Febuary 2010.

Next she would be granted a K-1 Visa to come to the U.S.A. and marry you.

NOTE the Visa is a ONE ENTRY Visa but is good for 6 month and does not have to be use right away.

6 months is about July 2010.

That means the time table would work for you.

also note DONT GET MARRIED IN SECRET, AND DONT LIE ABOUT ANYTHING.

Your problem is more the Forms and Documentation and the cost of Mailing these things back and fourth.

GOOD LUCK

Rosie and David

single 15 years married 5 months ....now I know what peaks and valleys are in life. LOVE my wife hehehe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We really want to marry in October. If my finace comes to US under Visitor Visa would that be a problem?

After we are married we can file K-3 or CR-1 while I am in Saudi for the next few months correct?

I'm not familiar with CR-1, but I bet K-3 could work for you. If you had all of the papers prepared to send in right after your marriage, the whole process could be finished or close to it by the time you come back. You might want to read the guides to see if you could pull it off; plus it is better than listening to a bunch of random opinions. The other catch is that once you file, it could make it more difficult for your fiance to travel back and forth with the tourist visa.

NOA 2. Really?

1. Yes, I plan to return to the US in October and live.
  2. We really want to marry in October. If my finace comes to US under Visitor Visa would that be a problem?
  3. After we are married we can file K-3 or CR-1 while I am in Saudi for the next few months correct?

1. The first part is confusing - in your original post you say you will remain in Saudi until April 2010.
  2. If your fiancé can get a tourist visa (not always an easy thing), yes - you can get married. She will not be able to remain however, and must return to Brazil.
  3. Once married - yes, you can file for either the K-3 or CR-1. If this is your chosen path, it is recommended you follow the CR-1 path (has some benefits that make it worth the possible extra time it takes). (See "What Visa Do We Need?" in the Guides section for some details.)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm not familiar with CR-1, but I bet K-3 could work for you. If you had all of the papers prepared to send in right after your marriage, the whole process could be finished or close to it by the time you come back. You might want to read the guides to see if you could pull it off; plus it is better than listening to a bunch of random opinions. The other catch is that once you file, it could make it more difficult for your fiance to travel back and forth with the tourist visa.

K-3 is obsolete these days. Either go for the K-1, or get married and file for CR-1.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.