$300 - Flight from MB to VAC round trip

$350 - Medical Fee in Vancouver

~$100 - Admin costs. passport photos, postage, copies

$350 - Vaccines

$500 - One way ticket from MB to ME

$200 moving costs

$1010 AOS

~$40 Marriage license.

Christ I could go on forever. Add an additional $150 for whatever and thats in my opinion a fair ballpark for a VAC k1

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Let me try to list all the costs for the immigration portion. Of course, there's still moving costs on top of that.

For K-1, Fiancee visa:

$455 to petition for the finance to be able to apply for the visa (I-129F)

$131 for the visa

$1010 to adjust status once she is here and you are married.

plus:

medical $200 to $400

vaccinations - cost varies

travel to and from consulate, civil surgeon

hotel for consulate, civil surgeon

$6 at the border for the I-94

~ Catherine

Edit: Too slow. It looks like beans list is more complete also.

Edited by BermyCat

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So the base fees for a K1 are:

$455 - I-129F

$131 - Fee at interview

$350 - Medical

Total: $936.00

Adjustment of Status (after you arrive in the U.S.) = $1010

So the total of actual visa and medical fees is: $ 1946.00 approximately. (All fees, except for the medical, are in U.S. dollars by the way)

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
Visa Journey is also a great resource as well as a great source of support as you 'wait' and 'wait' and 'wait' at the various stages of the process.

Good luck to you.

Wow, yes I am finding VJ to be amazing and wonderful, even just based on your response. Thank you so much again! I will stay glued to this site and before long I'll be the expert... :lol:

Feb 14, 2010 - Engaged :-)
Apr 17, 2010 - Married
May 24, 2010 - I-130 Sent to USCIS
Oct 20, 2010 - : I-130 NOA2 APPROVED..GOD IS GOOD!!!!! smile.png
Oct 26, 2010 : NVC Received
Dec 06, 2010 - Case Complete at NVC
Jan 24, 2011 - Medical exam
Feb 24, 2011 - Passed, welcome to USA
Mar 04, 2011 - POE - Detroit, MI
Mar 14, 2011 - SSN# Rec'd
Mar 24, 2011 - smile.png GC and Welcome Letter
Sept 19, 2011- Filed I-130 for my son (his step son)
June 14, 2013-APPROVED, 10 YR GC IN THE MAIL

Mar 3, 2014- N-400

May 12, 2014 Interview for Citizenship- PASSED!

June 12th, USA citizen - Oath Ceremony...all done here!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good grief - I forgot all these little fees and incidentals, but it wasn't as bad as it sounds! At least they don't hit you all in 1 day.

Always good to know what the next upcoming fee is in case you need to save

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Here is a thread about costs from about a month ago:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...859&hl=cost

At least alot of it is spread out over time, they don't hit you all at once. The most expensive USCIS fee being AOS $1010, but its the relocation to the USA and being without work while waiting for the EAD that can be the most costly, whether its drawing on savings or your SO supporting you with any bills you may have during that time.

Edited by minnew

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Its the little hidden costs that make you take a step back and go, "dang!" :lol:

So, just to mainly echo everyone you have:

$455 - I-129F filling fee

$250-$350 - Medical

$540- Shots (for me since I had to have Gardisil, but if you're over 26 no worries)

$40+expedited shipping- for long form birth certificate

$89- Renewed my passport. If its going to expire within the next you you need to have it renewed.

$40- Police clearance

$30- Passport photos

$15- Photocopy costs

$131 - Visa processing fee at interview

$1010- AOS

Then you have the costs of traveling to the medical and traveling to the interview depending on how far you are from these places. For us, I would guess we spent in the neighborhood of $500. This isn't counting the cost of my husbands flight when he flew up to come to the interview with me.

Then, after you get the visa you need to move. Depending on how much stuff you need to bring this can cost you a pretty penny! We drove in my husbands car, so between gas and hotel rooms we probably spent around $600-$700. A lot of people end up spending $3,000+ to have furniture and things of that nature brought down.

You also have the costs associated with getting married once you arrive in the US. This is the one part of the process that you're in complete control of! Spend $50 or $50,000, its all up to you.

So long story short its expensive, but worth every penny!

Well, I won't add to the cost, as I think you have enough info! :lol:

However, just to say, as long as immunizations are up to date, it only cost me a little over $50 to have the update for the tetnus. As far as hotel and airline costs...keep looking for deals!! I got a great deal off travelzoo to stay at the Hyatt Regency in Vancouver for $119.00. So there are some out there, and it just might work out for the time you need it.

By the way, in case it wasn't said, a K-1 may take anywhere from 6-9 months depending. Interviews at the Vancouver consulate can be quicker scheduled than Montreal, because it's not as busy, but it will depend what province your in. Vancouver is for all Western Provinces, and Montreal for all the rest.

Welcome to VJ, and to the Canadian forum. Hope we hear from you lots and feel free to ask any question, or to vent, or to just say hi... :)

Edited by TimandJoyce

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Timeline
I just wanted to say.... welcome to VJ..... and the K-1 visa sucks. :)

So do you think I should just go over there, get married and deal with the paper work later?? :help:

Just kidding, I only want to follow the procedures by the letter!! I think I read if you get married first and attempt to do the paper work later, you could run into (me) being forced to stay in Canada for a year or more as the paper work gets processed....is this true??

Apr 17, 2010 - Married

Mar 3, 2014- N-400

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

the CR1 visa can take as long as a year but it could be as short as 6 months too

you could still visit the US while you are waiting for your visa.. you just need to bring along a lot of strong ties to Canada to show that you plan on going back..

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
the CR1 visa can take as long as a year but it could be as short as 6 months too

you could still visit the US while you are waiting for your visa.. you just need to bring along a lot of strong ties to Canada to show that you plan on going back..

Well I should share this little story at this time. This how new I am at all of this immigration stuff..anyways.

Me and my BF decided that since I was travelling back and forth to the u.s., (he lives in Indianapolis), that I should just box up some things and leave them at his house since I was going back and forth so often..BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!! I had everything documented, like I had some clothes, hats, pictures, etc..I got pulled into secondary and was accused of immigrating to the u.s. that day. I cried, pleaded, begged my case, that this was NOT at all the case. I was patted down, fingerprinted, photo taken etc.

I have a 20 year career here in Canada, 2 older children, a home..etc. etc..well they denied me entry into the U.S. for the very first time in my whole life! Not good. I had to come back and get a notarized letter from a lawyer stating where I lived, all of my pay stubs, bank statements, all ID, bills..the list goes on and on. So now when I cross I immediately and ALWAYS get pulled into secondary inspection.

I have a nice tabbed binder with all of my information..I mean tons. Proof of every time I cross into the u.s. and back to Canada. I have been told over time..i.e. maybe 10 or 15 x's that I enter the u.s. with NO problems that I might be able to have this erased.

We only want to follow the rules to the law and never attempt anything that would jeopardize us both in any way. This was a complete shock to me and it is such a hassle now. Every time I get pulled in, it's a long wait and a frustrating one, however I am just blessed that they do let me back into the U.S. to see my BF....

Apr 17, 2010 - Married

Mar 3, 2014- N-400

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

it is perfectly legal to get married and do the CR1 visa paperwork afterward...

and the worst that could happen when you try to visit the US during the visa process is that you will be denied entry.. but that will have no effect on your visa... you just need to disclose that info on the DS-230 form and/or at the interview...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Timeline
I think I read if you get married first and attempt to do the paper work later, you could run into (me) being forced to stay in Canada for a year or more as the paper work gets processed....is this true??

The same thing can happen with the K-1 visa. It's always up to the CBP Officer at the border whether they let you in or not no matter which visa you apply for. Some have been denied entry but it hasn't affected their visa approval. The caution I give for the K-1 visa is due to the following:

• You have to marry and adjust status within 90 days of arrival. This throws a huge wrench into any wedding plans you'd like to make. You cannot plan ahead. You are at the mercy of the system. Then you have to apply to remove the conditions of your residency 3 months prior to your temporary greencard expiry.
  • Some States require a SSN to apply for a marriage license. See below for some giggles on this process.
  • You are stuck in the US for ~ 3 months after applying for your AOS/AP/EAD (which you can't apply for until you marry) while you wait for your Advance Parole (AP) document to be approved and arrive. The AP allows you to re-enter the US should you need to leave for any reason. Having to apply for an emergency AP due to death or illness while you are already under a ton of stress is no walk in the park.
  • You need an SSN for everything here. And I mean everything. Many K-1'ers have had a terrible time trying to get one because the SSO people do not understand the K-1 visa.
  • When you do apply for an SSN, you need to do so within 76 days of entry, but not prior to two weeks following entry. Prepare to be denied and told you cannot have one until you receive the Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Or worse.... prepare to be told you have to apply for a K-3 visa! :lol: If you don't have an SSN, your life goes on hold.
These are just a few of the reasons why a K-1 visa is not very user friendly.
iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.