acrow

Adjustment to the US

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I want to open this topic up again because it was interesting and even a little helpful to me. It got real ugly last time, so lets all be nice!

This is open to everyone! Not just Yardies...

How did the adjustment to the US go for you SO when he or she arrived? What helped ease the pain for him or her? Lets be honest...no matter how in love you are, it is going to be difficult for the man or woman that is giving up their home country...

and what were the highlights?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

For me, just seeing him walk through the gate at the airport was a huge highlight. Since then, it has been the birth of our son, our marriage, the acceptance and love for him that my family has shown, his first paycheck, and just watching our relationship grow and evolve.

The hard parts for him was the food, the cold, and relying on me for all money and entertainment.

The things that I have done to ease his transition and help him:

Learn to cook Jamaican food!

Don't complain about the heating bill for that first winter.

Let him be the man in all of the ways that you can...I was patient with him and realized that it was emmasculating for me to be the sole provider for the family and the one who made most of the decisions...so I made it clear to him that our house and things were OURS and I always consulted him on major decisions.

I made a cup of spending money that was for both of us. It was available to either one of us for extras...that way he didn't have to ask me for money every time he wanted something, and I didn't worry that we were spending more than we had budgeted.

I tried my best to show him around the city so that he could get around on his own

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I learned that it is better to wait till he's here to go shopping for him. He won't like what you pick out for him and he really wants to go shopping with you. It's the fun of the experience.

I learned that if I take him to an International Grocery store and let him have at it, he is happiest picking out his own ingrediants and planning the menus. Once you know exactly what he needs, you can compromise and find some stuff at the farmer's market much cheaper.

I've learned if you buy a space heater, your gas bill is not so high.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

my husband came from Metro Manila a big city.... he has been here 2 years 4 months and I would say he is getting over the cultural differences a little bit finally, still getting used to peoples personality here and he still only likes asian food .

as far as adjusting it is not an overnight thing , its a long process it goes little by little

mailed out aos and ead 7/13/2007

aol and ead packet received per usps 7/16/2007

checks cashed 07/26/07

noa 1 FOR EAD RECEIVED 07/27/07

noa 1 for aos received 07/28/07

biometrics 08/15/07

ead card ordered 09/20/07!!!!

ead card received 10/01/07! finally!

aos case transferred to California Service Center 10/03/07!

received "Welcome to the United States of America I-797 11/05/07!(dated 10/30/07)!

Permanent Resident card received 11/05/07 (dated 10/31/07)! THank u LorD!

Will file for 10 year GC End of July/Early August 2009!

Removal of Conditions:

Mailed I-751 overnight mail to Vermont Service Center 09/10/09

VSC received the I-751 Packet 09/11/09 About 12 pm Local time

Check was cashed as of Sept 16th 2009

NOA Received 09/19/09 dated 09/14/09

I-797 Appointment Notice received 10/01/09 dated 09/25/09 (Biometrics)

Got they 10 year GC approval letter in the mail dated 01/08/10! yehey!

10 GREENCARD RECEIVED 01/20/10

Citizenship.......maybe............or maybe stay a permanent resident .......................

6771903_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
For me, just seeing him walk through the gate at the airport was a huge highlight. Since then, it has been the birth of our son, our marriage, the acceptance and love for him that my family has shown, his first paycheck, and just watching our relationship grow and evolve.

The hard parts for him was the food, the cold, and relying on me for all money and entertainment.

The things that I have done to ease his transition and help him:

Learn to cook Jamaican food!

Don't complain about the heating bill for that first winter.

Let him be the man in all of the ways that you can...I was patient with him and realized that it was emmasculating for me to be the sole provider for the family and the one who made most of the decisions...so I made it clear to him that our house and things were OURS and I always consulted him on major decisions.

I made a cup of spending money that was for both of us. It was available to either one of us for extras...that way he didn't have to ask me for money every time he wanted something, and I didn't worry that we were spending more than we had budgeted.

I tried my best to show him around the city so that he could get around on his own

I like this post... In addition, I have teen age children and they volunteered to go places with him to... It lightens my load a bit too. I especially like the cup with the money!

I learned that it is better to wait till he's here to go shopping for him. He won't like what you pick out for him and he really wants to go shopping with you. It's the fun of the experience.

I learned that if I take him to an International Grocery store and let him have at it, he is happiest picking out his own ingrediants and planning the menus. Once you know exactly what he needs, you can compromise and find some stuff at the farmer's market much cheaper.

I've learned if you buy a space heater, your gas bill is not so high.

I like these too JG!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
no comment..no adjustment for me..mi perfect

:bonk:

:lol:

mi miss yuh, enoh... hope you had a great trip! Mrs.Perfect :rolleyes:

tanks..yuh knoa mi just si dis...a laughta wi sey ahahaa

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Filed: Timeline
I want to open this topic up again because it was interesting and even a little helpful to me. It got real ugly last time, so lets all be nice!

This is open to everyone! Not just Yardies...

How did the adjustment to the US go for you SO when he or she arrived? What helped ease the pain for him or her? Lets be honest...no matter how in love you are, it is going to be difficult for the man or woman that is giving up their home country...

and what were the highlights?

Can't add much here, but I'll say this. TAKE YOUR TIME getting to know your "SO"... culture, food, music, family (sometimes that's not enough)...sometimes I feel that some people rush, but then that's another topic. Just cause it look good or feel good no mean seh it good fi u....watah undah bridge mine it rise.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.