Bsze

Primary Evidence for K1 question

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are in the process of putting together our K1 package, and we have read all the guides on VJ as well as the USCIS site. However, it is better to be safe than sorry, so we thought we'd ask for advice regarding the primary evidence the USCIS requests to prove that we've met in the last 2 years.

Here's a little background info: I came here under a student visa in August '07, graduated May '08 and worked in the same town under the OPT from August '08 to July '09. So my question is: do my passport stamps, student visa forms and employer forms (that prove I was in the same town as him) qualify as primary evidence? I know that while it proves that we have been in the same town, it doesn't prove we've met. The thing is, we mostly traveled within the US and stayed with family/friends (thus, no passport stamps, hotel receipts or itineraries). We do have receipts from restaurants with the last 4 digits of our credit card numbers, so we're planning to send those in with copies of our credit cards. Naturally, we'll black out all but the last 4 digits, but is that enough evidence to prove that those receipts are ours? We also plan to ask our pastor to write us a letter to vouch that our relationship is bonafide.

We do have many photos of ourselves, but unless I'm mistaken, that is considered secondary evidence, no?

Any help or suggestion as to what we can/should submit would be much appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency

07/09/2017 - filed N400 online

07/10/2017 - NOA

08/03/2017 - biometrics done

02/20/2018 - interview & oath ceremony

So my question is: do my passport stamps, student visa forms and employer forms (that prove I was in the same town as him) qualify as primary evidence

Yes! - Passport stamps will probably be all you would need with the visa forms (shows date in the US)

Photos would be secondary - and usually at the embassy level.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Are you both in the US now? If so, here's a little tip...

Print out your letter's of intent and go sign them in front of a notary at the same time. The letters don't need to be notarized, but having them notarized at the same time is proof from a credible witness that you were both in the same place at the same time. Mention the notarized letters in the statement you include with your other question 18 evidence.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Yes, we are both in the US right now. Thanks for the great advice!

07/10/2017 - NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm confused, if you are both in the US now then why not get married and file for adjustment of status? This will prevent separation, a return to your home country for the interview, and it is easier in the long run.

As for your evidence, I'd avoid the credt cards and the receipts (unnecessary if you ask me). Focus on primary evidence then do things like pictures, e-mails, letters from relatives (or your pastor)

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

It's a long story, but we do not have enough time or money to get married right now. Also, I want to return to my home country to take care of some personal stuff first. We are definitely aware of that option, but considering our circumstances, it may not be the best decision in the long run.

Thanks for the advice though!

07/10/2017 - NOA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.