zeo

Time between interview and taking oath?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

We are in the DFW area and my wife got her interview letter for Sept. 29, 2009 and wanted to once the interview is complete how much longer would it be to get the oath letter?

I also wanted to know if my wife can travel abroad after her interview and before her oath ceremony?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me (USA), Wife (Pakistan)

--------------------------

I-130 - NOA1 - 3-15-2004 Receipt from Nebraska

I-129F - NOA1 - 3-30-2004 MSC

I-129F - NOA2 - 7-14-2004 MSC

I-130 - NOA2 - 11-29-2004 Receipt from from California

Mailed AOS Package 8-25-2005

Received Receipt notice for I-485 9-6-2005

Biometrics Appointment for AOS - 2-1-2006

N-400 applied for June 2009

Fingerprint appointment Aug 8 2009

US Citizenship Interview Sept 29 2009

Oath Ceremony Sept 29 2009

Passport application submitted Sept 29 2009

Passport received Oct. 6, 2009

Original US citizenship papers returned Oct. 9, 2009

All done! :-)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline
I also wanted to know if my wife can travel abroad after her interview and before her oath ceremony?

Untill the oath you are still just a green card holder and you can travel with your green card

at the oath ceremony they take away your green card and you cannot travel untill you apply and receive your passport

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I specifically instructed my wife to ask if she could say her oath the same day if she passed her interview that some field offices do this. She was told that it's not the policy of the St. Paul office. Kind of knew that. Then if the answer is no, when can she expect her oath letter, she was told within two weeks. I let four weeks go by then I contacted my senator to inquire what is going wrong, wife was told within two weeks, four weeks went by. Within two hours of that call, her oath letter was e-mailed to me. According to the interview form, they have up to 120 days to send you your oath letter, if not, you can take them to court. Probably not good to take the hand that controls your life to court, but is an option. But the important part is to get a verbal commitment from them, without that verbal commitment, would have no reason to contact my senator. We already had problems with the I-751 having our application misplaced is the word they used, the same thing happened to her USC application.

We based on our case on our wife's friend, also from Venezuela that was six months ahead of us, with her problems with the I-751, then the N-400, you do have a right to ask how long that oath letter would come in. Her friend lives in Illinois only 40 miles from St. Louis but was assigned to the Chicago office, downtown, took a train, and hotels in downtown Chicago are not cheap. She never asked about her oath letter, and it never came in. I suggested for her to contact her senator, was Obama, and no where around too busy running for president, she never got a reply. She didn't want to take the USCIS to court, so just waited, 15 months went by and she finally got her oath letter. Perhaps someone in Chicago had some extra time to look over the old files, I don't know. So while my wife's friend was always six months ahead of us, wife beat her by nine months to finish. Nothing like dealing with the USCIS.

Filed: Other Timeline
We are in the DFW area and my wife got her interview letter for Sept. 29, 2009 and wanted to once the interview is complete how much longer would it be to get the oath letter?

In my experienced it took 15 days before I recieve my oath taking schedule letter

She can travel after she get her American passport. she can apply american passport after the oath taking ceremony;and at the same day get the passport. this is what happened in My case. but can't garante it will happen to her as well.

Edited by bulaklak

"True Love is never associated with violence,deception,abuse ( emotional,physical or verbal) constant sacrifice for the good of only one person,jealousy,fear or mistrust"

------------------------------------------

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Help is available to callers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Hotline advocates are available for victims and anyone calling on their behalf to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information and referrals to agencies in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Assistance is available in English and Spanish with access to more than 170 languages through interpreter services. If you or someone you know is frightened about something in your relationship, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Untill the oath you are still just a green card holder and you can travel with your green card

:help: at the oath ceremony they take away your green card and you cannot travel untill you apply and receive your passport

Please confirm the following

Thanks. So this means after the interview and before the oath ceremony my wife can travel on her pakistani passport and with her green card to Pakistan with no issue?

Once she goes to the oath ceremony then she will give her green card and then she may apply for her US passport?

Me (USA), Wife (Pakistan)

--------------------------

I-130 - NOA1 - 3-15-2004 Receipt from Nebraska

I-129F - NOA1 - 3-30-2004 MSC

I-129F - NOA2 - 7-14-2004 MSC

I-130 - NOA2 - 11-29-2004 Receipt from from California

Mailed AOS Package 8-25-2005

Received Receipt notice for I-485 9-6-2005

Biometrics Appointment for AOS - 2-1-2006

N-400 applied for June 2009

Fingerprint appointment Aug 8 2009

US Citizenship Interview Sept 29 2009

Oath Ceremony Sept 29 2009

Passport application submitted Sept 29 2009

Passport received Oct. 6, 2009

Original US citizenship papers returned Oct. 9, 2009

All done! :-)

If you are in DFW, and you finish your interview by 11:00 with no issues. You will have the oath ceremony on the Irving new office around 2PM.

Good luck :)

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Another twilight zone time, no such thing as a mutually agreed upon appointment date with the USCIS, when they say show up, you either show up or can experience major delays.

It's like they expect you to be waiting at your mailbox and reply instantly if you cannot make an appointment so they can reschedule their appointments, if that letter comes in, will anybody be home to open it and contact you? Then there is the question of lead time, in our case, we had just three days to prepare when we received our oath letter, but may have had problems coming back the way the airlines are running today, or may be weeks away. Just too many variables. Unless this trip is an emergency would think twice about leaving if you want to proceed with your divorce with the USCIS.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
Please confirm the following

Thanks. So this means after the interview and before the oath ceremony my wife can travel on her pakistani passport and with her green card to Pakistan with no issue?

Once she goes to the oath ceremony then she will give her green card and then she may apply for her US passport?

That is correct. Just be aware she needs to meet the same physical presence & continuous residency requirements as at interview on oath day. Unless she is currently "borderline", this shouldn't be an issue. On the back of the oath notification advice there will be a series or questions - one of these relates to travel between interview & oath.

I'm sure you are aware, after the oath when your wife has surrendered her greencard, she will not be permitted to travel internationally until she has received a US passport.

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

• 2 weeks later...
I specifically instructed my wife to ask if she could say her oath the same day if she passed her interview that some field offices do this. She was told that it's not the policy of the St. Paul office. Kind of knew that. Then if the answer is no, when can she expect her oath letter, she was told within two weeks. I let four weeks go by then I contacted my senator to inquire what is going wrong, wife was told within two weeks, four weeks went by. Within two hours of that call, her oath letter was e-mailed to me. According to the interview form, they have up to 120 days to send you your oath letter, if not, you can take them to court. Probably not good to take the hand that controls your life to court, but is an option. But the important part is to get a verbal commitment from them, without that verbal commitment, would have no reason to contact my senator. We already had problems with the I-751 having our application misplaced is the word they used, the same thing happened to her USC application.

We based on our case on our wife's friend, also from Venezuela that was six months ahead of us, with her problems with the I-751, then the N-400, you do have a right to ask how long that oath letter would come in. Her friend lives in Illinois only 40 miles from St. Louis but was assigned to the Chicago office, downtown, took a train, and hotels in downtown Chicago are not cheap. She never asked about her oath letter, and it never came in. I suggested for her to contact her senator, was Obama, and no where around too busy running for president, she never got a reply. She didn't want to take the USCIS to court, so just waited, 15 months went by and she finally got her oath letter. Perhaps someone in Chicago had some extra time to look over the old files, I don't know. So while my wife's friend was always six months ahead of us, wife beat her by nine months to finish. Nothing like dealing with the USCIS.

NickD i had problem with i751 chicago DO but filed the wom and got approved but now i have another file n400 pending post interview and it has been 120 days already . After the approval of i751 i went to the n400 officer and he gave me the the verbal commitment of 90 days and it has been 45 days already i have not received anything should i go and talk to him again or wait until the 90 days

15 sep 07 filed 1751

03 oct 07 noa1

11 nov 07 biometrics dn

nothing nothing for one year

15 sept 08 filed n400

17 sept 08 noa recd

24 sept 08 bio notice

08 oct 08 bio done

28oct 08 i751 interview

now waitng agn.............

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.