Debby2850

Marriage question

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have searched the forum for this question and can't find an answer. I am getting married in Washington state on September 12. We have not applied for any immigration things because for the time being we will just drive back and forth from Canada to Washington. I am wondering when I go down for the wedding do I tell them at POE that that is why I am travelling down. I can't really hide all the wedding things (dress etc). Your answers are greatly appreciated.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I have searched the forum for this question and can't find an answer. I am getting married in Washington state on September 12. We have not applied for any immigration things because for the time being we will just drive back and forth from Canada to Washington. I am wondering when I go down for the wedding do I tell them at POE that that is why I am travelling down. I can't really hide all the wedding things (dress etc). Your answers are greatly appreciated.

Yes, I would suggest that you do tell them.

There is nothing wrong with going to the U.S. to get married. The border person will be concerned that you may be trying to go to live in the U.S. without obtaining the proper visa first, therefore it is very important that you bring strong proof of ties to Canada with you.

- A letter from your employer noting when you are expected to return to work.

- A lease or mortgage document

Basically anything you can think of that says hey - I live in Canada.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage :)

Yikes...

The main question is, where to you both plan to move to, and when do you plan to move (you won't be visiting forever! lol).

You say 'for the time being' you will just drive back and forth, but be aware that once you're married and you tell them at POE that you are visiting your spouse (if they ask, and as mentioned, always be honest) it may become much more difficult to cross. When you cross with your wedding items in tow (and any time in the future really), make SURE that you have a lot of proof that you are going to be returning to Canada. Rental leases, or mortgages, letters from employers, utility bills, contracts, etc. Bring anything you can think of that will show that you won't be moving to the US.

I know you didn't ask this specifically, but if you do plan to move to the US eventually, I would seriously consider starting a visa process as soon as you decide where you want to live (there or here). It will take a few (i.e. MANY) months to complete the process for you to move. Since you plan to already get married, you'd likely be looking at a CR-1 Visa. You can read about them here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides

I hope that helps. I'm not an expert by any means, but if I said anything wrong, someone will correct me... lol. Good luck either way, and congratulations!! :)

Edited by ashenflowers

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: Timeline
Yikes...

The main question is, where to you both plan to move to, and when do you plan to move (you won't be visiting forever! lol).

You say 'for the time being' you will just drive back and forth, but be aware that once you're married and you tell them at POE that you are visiting your spouse (if they ask, and as mentioned, always be honest) it may become much more difficult to cross. When you cross with your wedding items in tow (and any time in the future really), make SURE that you have a lot of proof that you are going to be returning to Canada. Rental leases, or mortgages, letters from employers, utility bills, contracts, etc. Bring anything you can think of that will show that you won't be moving to the US.

I know you didn't ask this specifically, but if you do plan to move to the US eventually, I would seriously consider starting a visa process as soon as you decide where you want to live (there or here). It will take a few (i.e. MANY) months to complete the process for you to move. Since you plan to already get married, you'd likely be looking at a CR-1 Visa. You can read about them here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides

I hope that helps. I'm not an expert by any means, but if I said anything wrong, someone will correct me... lol. Good luck either way, and congratulations!! :)

Thanks for your reply - as I said - for the time being we will continue to drive back and forth. We will eventually apply for him to come to Canada I think. I just don't want any hassles at the border etc. but because of his job and all it will be easier for us to commute unitl we figure out what we will do. He gets sent out of town to work and I don't want to be alone while he is gone. Also - I can't legally move my kids out of the country as per my custody papers. Anything you can think of telling me would be appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Technically there is nothing wrong with what you're planning. You can go and get married to your American fiance in the US without a visa, as long as you intend to return to Canada within 6 months. However, remember that it is completely up to the discretion of the border official to let you in, and the burden to prove you do not intend to remain in the US after the marriage takes place is on you. Listening to T-mix's advice on bringing solid ties to Canada would be strongly advised by everyone here.

Not to alarm you, but there was a case of a woman here on VJ a while back who tried to do this same thing and was denied entry. Can anyone remember her username? She tried to enter the US with her child and told the officer at the border she was coming to the states to get married to her fiance. The difference was that she was completely unaware that she needed any kind of visa to move to the US at a later date. Although she had no intention of moving during this time, the officer believed that was her intent. She also was not prepared with any evidence she intended to return to Canada, making the case seem suspicious. In the end she was denied entry and her wedding was canceled. We'd hate for that to happen to you! So being prepared and knowledgeable about this process is going to help you quite substantially.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.