hayati

Question about engagement rings...

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I know the guides say that having an engagement ring is not essential for the K1 visa process but I am wondering if any of you (especially being in the Middle East where, at least in Egypt, the engagement ceremonies can be a big hoopla) had any problems/ were asked any questions during the interview about not having an engagement ring or engagement ceremony?

I don't have a ring... and I don't want to have an engagement cermony/party (because my family is in the US and it would break my Dad's heart for one because he's Egyptian so it is a part of his culture). Besides, we're holding off on telling his family until the last minute because he's mom will not be at all supportive when it comes to moving to the US - ugh, could be another obstacle I suppose (she told him from the start he could marry me but we have to live in Egypt)... yeah. Since we're only getting married on papers when we first arrive (and having a ceremony maybe a year or so later when we can afford it and I have time to plan it... seriously, 3 months is not enough time!), and because the whole immigration process is hella expensive, I told him to save his money for the ring until we've settled down a bit... who knows, we might need it, ya know?

Anyway... I was pretty at ease with this (since the guides said no ring is necessary) but my parents (who have went through the immigration process themselves.... though that was about 30 years ago) are worrying me about the whole no ring thing.

Thoughts?

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Egypt

I-129F Sent : 2009-08-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-08-18

I-129F RFE(s):

RFE Reply(s):

I-129F NOA2 :2009-10-07

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-15

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-12-15

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2010-03-11

Interview Result : Approved

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 50 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 205 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Engagement parties and engagement rings are not compulsory in Egyptian culture. Embassies know what is culturally normal and what's not. They would more likely question a spouse visa without a wedding party than a fiance(e) visa without a party/ring. That's not a big deal.

But what is this about "only getting married on papers"? I don't understand and it could be because the phrase "on paper" may be misleading me. It appears you don't intend to formally marry within the 90-days necessary for the K-1 visa. Is that correct?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My immigration lawyer said that we did not need to be engaged prior to the interview (therefore a ring was not necessary), but it was imperative that PROOF OF RELATIONSHIP be established and he seemd to put a bit more emphasis on the Intent to Marry letter than the sample letter presented here on VJ. It might depend on the individual consulate or the individual interviewing officer that day, but supposedly the "official" guidelines do not require an actual engagement nor a ring. However, I wanted to formalize my intent with my fiancee, so we are officially engaged with ring, family party, etc. and photos to boot.

Regarding "IHAVEQUESTIONS" question about getting married on paper, I would guess you are referring to a totally and binding Civil ceremony, which would be very simple and quick and save the BIG event for the rest of the family during a return trip to Egypt in the future. You have to be legally marrried within 90 days in order for your fiance' to remain in the US or face a visa violation (which would have severe consequences if your fiance' wanted to remain here legally). We are also planning a civil ceremony here in the US (who has time to plan anything else in 90 days ), but a bigger "Catholic" ceremony in Colombia in the future.

5/20/08 Met through a mutual friend in Medellin

7/02/08 - 10/27/08 Visited 5 times

12/08/08 6th Visit Medellin (gave "Promise" ring to be exclusive)

1/22/09 - 6/21/09 4 more visits. 6/22/09 GOT ENGAGED!

7/25/09 11th Visit Met in Panama

9/19/09 12th Visit Met in Medellin for Dial Del Amor y Amistad

6/23-7/21 Gathered paperwork and applied for I-129F 7/24/09 USCIS acknowledges Receipt of I-129F application NOA1

9/28/09 NOA2 received!!! Only 66 days! 10/02/09 NSC Received and completed Application and sent to Bogota

10/02/09 Embassy received application (my lawyer is two weeks behind informing me - time line information learned on 10/15/09)

10/09/09 Embassy sent out Package 3 10/15/09 Package 3 not received - downloaded forms from website.

10/16/09 Submitted DS-2100 and Ds-230 to apply for interview date. 10/23/09 Received Interview date (had to call DOS)

12/09/09 Interview - VISA GRANTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1/07/10 Arrived in Miami, cleared Immigration with no problems. Arrived in Charlotte to a freaking cold spell 55 degrees colder than Dora has ever experienced.

I understand what you're saying and I agree with you.

However, in Egyptian culture, there is no "marriage" without a wedding party and there's no such thing as being a little bit married, or married on paper.

The Embassy knows this. If this is the path this particular couple is choosing, they may have a difficult time with AOS.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

However, in Egyptian culture, there is no "marriage" without a wedding party and there's no such thing as being a little bit married, or married on paper.

The Embassy knows this. If this is the path this particular couple is choosing, they may have a difficult time with AOS.

When my husband and I were married, we had two marriages: One with an officiant in our home in Egypt with his family present, then one later where we signed the papers at the Egyptian Ministry of Justice. for that one, only one of his brothers was present from his family (we had one other witness who was a friend)... We had no wedding party, no engagement party, none of that. The reason WE had no party was because my husband's mother died a few months before our marriage, so they were still in a period of mourning. When my husband went to the interview, he took his mom's death certificate with him in case they asked why we didn't have a party, but they never asked.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

At our petition interview, the CO asked both Wael and I separately if we had a wedding party. We told him yes we did and showed our wedding pictures. When Wael had his home visits from the Embassy, (during AP) the guy asked his dad about our wedding party. He also asked his uncle.

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We have an engagement part and i bought a ring to my fiancee . but in fact at the interview the CO didn't ask me anything about it .''we sent some professional pictures of the engagement of each others and of us with my family ..... and the rings receipts to USCIS ''

In fact i don't think it will be a big deal as people said here that ngagement parties and engagement rings are not compulsory in Egyptian culture. Embassies know what is culturally normal and what's not.

Good luck and my best wishes for you.

Mohamed

Nothing's impossible . Nothing's unreachable .When I am weary you make me stronger

This love is beautiful .So unforgettable . I feel no winter cold when we are together .

Will you stand by me ?!!!Hold on and never let me go .

Will you stand by me?!! With you i know i belong . When the story gets told .

When day turns into night .I look into your eyes . I see my future now .All the world and its wonder

This love wont fade away.And through the hardest days . I will never question us .You are the reason my only reason.

I'm blessed to find what i need in a world loosing hope. you are my only believe .

You make things right every time after time.....

Will you stand by me ?!!!

I love you so much and i miss you so much more .

anm68b54b0b16262b16.gif

Timeline
Engagement parties and engagement rings are not compulsory in Egyptian culture. Embassies know what is culturally normal and what's not. They would more likely question a spouse visa without a wedding party than a fiance(e) visa without a party/ring. That's not a big deal.

But what is this about "only getting married on papers"? I don't understand and it could be because the phrase "on paper" may be misleading me. It appears you don't intend to formally marry within the 90-days necessary for the K-1 visa. Is that correct?

No, no, no! We are def. getting married but we'll likely do it in a courtroom type setting with my parents/brothers/a few close friends because of the 90 day limitation thing. We'll have a ceremony a year or so later, so I guess more like a vow renewal type thing. We're both in Egypt, and I will stay here with him until he has the visa in hand. 90 days isn't enough for me/us to plan and pay for a wedding... so we'll get the marriage certificate when we return to the US and the actual ceremony/reception will happen later.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s):

RFE Reply(s):

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 4 Received :

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Comments :

Processing

Timeline

Haha, no, no, nothing like that. This is legit, otherwise it would not be worth the paperwork and long, agonizing process. I thought it was pretty common for couples in similar situations to "get married on paper" (probably bad choice of words) aka have a small civil ceremony type thing with the actual wedding/ceremony in the future... because of time restraints with the 90 day limitation. Sorry to have thrown out some red flags on you, but I assure you, it's legit. So hopefully there will be no difficulties with AOS. :)

K-1 Visa

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s):

RFE Reply(s):

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 4 Received :

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Comments :

Processing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.