Frenchy

Transfer of mutual funds

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Sometimes it feels like I am the first Canadian to move to the States! Everywhere I try to find answers on how to best transfer my assets I end up either with different answers or institutions telling me they cannot guide me in this aspect!

I've set-up a Vanguard fund. Now I would like to transfer my Canadian mutual funds to this account. I have 2 options. Either I do a direct transfer from one account to the other. Or, I can have my Canadian bank write me a check for the full amount of my assets and then make a deposit here in the States.

Which is best? I am afraid of unknown penalties or hidden tax fees for such a transaction since this is not income and would not want to be taxed as such. Can anybody shed some light to this situation?

Thanks!

MY Conditions Removal Timeline:

CIS Office: California

2011-05-16: Date Filed

2011-05-17: NOA Date

2011-06-14: Bio. Appt.

2011-09-21: Email confirming approval

2011-09-26: GC Received ツ

MY AOS Timeline:

2008-11-05: Date Filed

2008-11-14: NOA Date

2009-01-26: Bio. Appt.

2009-05-07: Interview Date

2009-05-14: RFE Received

2009-06-03: RFE Returned

2009-07-27: GC Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I use Custom House to transfer my money... I am waiting for the exchange to get better to transfer my pension money as it's a larger amount. CH is free and safe!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

99% of the time depositing a Cdn cheque into a US bank account is a complete nightmare!! Numerous posts about us Cdns depositing a Cdn check into a USA acount and having nothing but head aches! Most banks wil give u a sub-par exchange rate, some wil charge a fee, etc etc! many of us have uswed customhouse.com---a Cdn company with HQ in Victoria. It has just recently been bought by Western Union, but havent noticed any changes! It does take a bit to set up--but it is very easy to do so. The staff are great and are more than happy to walk u thru the process. If you do it electronically (EFT) it is FREE!!! Highly recommend them, used them since 2005 and have never had a bad experience!~

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

If you withdraw it from the Mutual fund in Canada and take it as $$$ to despoit down here - you suspect will be taxed on it by the Cdn side.

If you were rolling it over from 1 Cdn Mut fund to another- you might not be taxed. For example I rolled my group pension fund into an individual one before I left and I didn't pay tax...it was a seemless transfer.

I do not think you can avoid taxes if you withdraw up there and intend on starting a fund here (sorry not entirely sure what a Vanguard fund is). It's the Cdn gov't who'll want to tax you on the withdrawl- esp. if it was deposited pre-tax. They don't care what your intention is...they want to ensure they get their piece :)

Flames - what's that tax site...Serbinsky ..something...

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline
Sometimes it feels like I am the first Canadian to move to the States! Everywhere I try to find answers on how to best transfer my assets I end up either with different answers or institutions telling me they cannot guide me in this aspect!

I've set-up a Vanguard fund. Now I would like to transfer my Canadian mutual funds to this account. I have 2 options. Either I do a direct transfer from one account to the other. Or, I can have my Canadian bank write me a check for the full amount of my assets and then make a deposit here in the States.

Which is best? I am afraid of unknown penalties or hidden tax fees for such a transaction since this is not income and would not want to be taxed as such. Can anybody shed some light to this situation?

Thanks!

You are right to be concerned about tax implications - seems to me it would be counted as income in Canada - but that all depends on what kind of mutual funds they are - what kind of account is it.

Timeline

Agree with T-mix- had another thought as well. Where will you live when you withdraw it...Canada likely so it would be included in your Cdn income for that year.

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure if your mutual funds are held in an RRSP but that's what I will assume.

If you have a financial advisor I would ask them to look into it. Because they are probably normally dealing with Canadian funds that stay in Canada, they might have to do some legwork. The financial advisor I had used for years was useless when it came to this and I had to seek assistance elsewhere. I had an RRSP portfolio made up of strip bonds, stocks, and (mostly) mutual funds. I didn't want to take out that money when I moved to the US and incur heavy taxes. I wanted it to accrue tax-free until retirement age. In the end, the only way for me to handle it was to convert all of my portfolio to segregated funds (bascially mutual funds held by an insurance company). I can't make any additional contributions to my portfolio and the money stays in Canada until retirement age. At that time I will set up a RIF and draw a monthly cheque. I will have to pay Canadian taxes when that starts to happen (oh joy). Believe me, they're going to get you one way or another. Alas, there is no free ride.

Another thing that Canadians living in the US who hold money in Canada should know is that there are two forms to fill out annually. One form (TD F 90-22.1) goes to the Treasury Dept. in Detroit and the other (Form 8891) is attached to your income tax return. An American CPA can help you with that if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. Basically you're just declaring what monies you hold outside of the country and there are no tax implications. There are pretty stiff fines if you don't do this and the IRS finds out. The forms are no big deal and can be filled out in about a minute.

Edited by CanAmCharlotte

Jo-Anne

Timeline
Not sure if your mutual funds are held in an RRSP but that's what I will assume.

If you have a financial advisor I would ask them to look into it. Because they are probably normally dealing with Canadian funds that stay in Canada, they might have to do some legwork. The financial advisor I had used for years was useless when it came to this and I had to seek assistance elsewhere. I had an RRSP portfolio made up of strip bonds, stocks, and (mostly) mutual funds. I didn't want to take out that money when I moved to the US and incur heavy taxes. I wanted it to accrue tax-free until retirement age. In the end, the only way for me to handle it was to convert all of my portfolio to segregated funds (bascially mutual funds held by an insurance company). I can't make any additional contributions to my portfolio and the money stays in Canada until retirement age. At that time I will set up a RIF and draw a monthly cheque. I will have to pay Canadian taxes when that starts to happen (oh joy). Believe me, they're going to get you one way or another. Alas, there is no free ride.

Another thing that Canadians living in the US who hold money in Canada should know is that there are two forms to fill out annually. One form (TD F 90-22.1) goes to the Treasury Dept. in Detroit and the other (Form 8891) is attached to your income tax return. An American CPA can help you with that if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. Basically you're just declaring what monies you hold outside of the country and there are no tax implications. There are pretty stiff fines if you don't do this and the IRS finds out. The forms are no big deal and can be filled out in about a minute.

Good points - I had to start those forms. I am half tempted to try withdrawing my $$$ and rbing it down here, but I can't stomach the taxes

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.