bulaklak

DUAL CITIZEN

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Is there anyone here has experienced of a dual citizen processed in New York? how long it takes ?

"True Love is never associated with violence,deception,abuse ( emotional,physical or verbal) constant sacrifice for the good of only one person,jealousy,fear or mistrust"

------------------------------------------

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Help is available to callers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Hotline advocates are available for victims and anyone calling on their behalf to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information and referrals to agencies in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Assistance is available in English and Spanish with access to more than 170 languages through interpreter services. If you or someone you know is frightened about something in your relationship, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Since you have to renounce allegiance to your former country when you naturalize and the US does not generally recognize dual citizenship, there is no impact on how long it takes to process your N-400. Whether your prior country of citizenship chooses to continue to recognize you as their citizen is entirely up to them. As for how much time it takes for proceedings to retain your prior citizenship, that depends on the your former country of citizenship, specifically what their procedure is, and what the processing timeframe of the consulate with jurisdiction is.

I'm afraid you'll need to clarify your question a bit in order to get a more relevant answer.

Edited by jsnearline

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Filed: Other Timeline
Since you have to renounce allegiance to your former country when you naturalize and the US does not generally recognize dual citizenship, there is no impact on how long it takes to process your N-400. Whether your prior country of citizenship chooses to continue to recognize you as their citizen is entirely up to them. As for how much time it takes for proceedings to retain your prior citizenship, that depends on the your former country of citizenship, specifically what their procedure is, and what the processing timeframe of the consulate with jurisdiction is.

I'm afraid you'll need to clarify your question a bit in order to get a more relevant answer.

Thanks for your input, My husband called and spoke to someone who works there .and We BOTH decided to go there tommorow and apply for it in person. again thanks.

edit: I'm already a US citizen, I just need to apply a DUAL CITIZEN.

Edited by bulaklak

"True Love is never associated with violence,deception,abuse ( emotional,physical or verbal) constant sacrifice for the good of only one person,jealousy,fear or mistrust"

------------------------------------------

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Help is available to callers 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Hotline advocates are available for victims and anyone calling on their behalf to provide crisis intervention, safety planning, information and referrals to agencies in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Assistance is available in English and Spanish with access to more than 170 languages through interpreter services. If you or someone you know is frightened about something in your relationship, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.

Timeline

Well, again, as I said, it all depends on the country you're wanting to reclaim your dual citizenship from. If you can post what country you're originally from, then maybe someone on here who's from there who has reclaimed their dual citizenship can post their experience.

08/28/2004 Engaged

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
Well, again, as I said, it all depends on the country you're wanting to reclaim your dual citizenship from. If you can post what country you're originally from, then maybe someone on here who's from there who has reclaimed their dual citizenship can post their experience.

Here is a link from DOS on dual citizenship. It should answer all your questions. Your SO doesn't have to renouce his citizenship from his country of origin.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

Waiting.....Waiting....waiting....waiting....and more waiting..........

Timeline
Your SO doesn't have to renouce his citizenship from his country of origin.

When a person becomes a US citizen, the first line of the Oath of Allegiance they take is:

"I absolutely and entirely ronounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of who or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen."

That said, not every country allows a person to renounce their citizenship and as such would continue to recognize a person as a citizen regardless of whether they took the Oath of Allegiance to the US. Others consider the citizenship renounced, but allow for the person to apply to retain or reacquire their original citizenship while at the same time retaining their American citizenship.

08/28/2004 Engaged

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
Your SO doesn't have to renouce his citizenship from his country of origin.

When a person becomes a US citizen, the first line of the Oath of Allegiance they take is:

"I absolutely and entirely ronounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of who or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen."

That said, not every country allows a person to renounce their citizenship and as such would continue to recognize a person as a citizen regardless of whether they took the Oath of Allegiance to the US. Others consider the citizenship renounced, but allow for the person to apply to retain or reacquire their original citizenship while at the same time retaining their American citizenship.

I had read the DOS website and understood it differently. I should have read the Oath of Allegiance first! :blush:

Waiting.....Waiting....waiting....waiting....and more waiting..........

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.