Leica

Entering USA after marriage on tourist visa

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi All

I am already married to a US citizen, and entered the country (after marrying the US citizen overseas) on a tourist visa.

Is there any problem in applying for a change of status? I am told that even if 'preconceived intent' were presumed, this is not sufficient grounds for removal.

Your views much appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi All

I am already married to a US citizen, and entered the country (after marrying the US citizen overseas) on a tourist visa.

Is there any problem in applying for a change of status? I am told that even if 'preconceived intent' were presumed, this is not sufficient grounds for removal.

Did you have preconceived intent? That is against immigration laws and therefore illegal and inadvisable on this forum.

Edited by Jauque

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

08/27/2009 - Visa Received

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

01/15/2010 - EAD Approved

02/25/2010 - AOS Interview

Adjuticator's Field Manual

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Disclaimer : 100% of the time I only think I know what I'm talking about.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi All

You can file and I-130 petition for a CR-1 visa. You can remain in the US as long as your tourist visa allows, then return to your country and wait for visa approval. You MAY be able to enter again on a tourist visa but make sure you bring plenty of evidence you will return to your home country.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I am told that even if 'preconceived intent' were presumed, this is not sufficient grounds for removal.

Were you told this by someone with a legal background in family-based immigration?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi All

Oh, and you cannot file for AOS if you entered with the intent to get married on a tourist visa. And yes, this IS grounds for removal and as much as a lifetime ban on entering the US again. You haven't done anything wrong...yet. File for the CR-1.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The OP said they married OUTSIDE the US then she entered the US on a tourist visa. I don't think there is any adjustment possible. She was married when she arrived so she has to file the I 130 and interview in her home counrty.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

From the guides:

If you are already married, and your spouse came to the US on a tourist visa with the intent of immigration and marriage, then he/she should return to his/her home abroad, and the I-130 (or along with an I-129f for a K-3 Visa) should be filed with the relative outside of the U.S. to avoid denial, deportation, or even being banned from re-entry to the US.

The above conditions are serious and can result in the separation of families for many years if not taken seriously.

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

08/27/2009 - Visa Received

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

01/15/2010 - EAD Approved

02/25/2010 - AOS Interview

Adjuticator's Field Manual

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Disclaimer : 100% of the time I only think I know what I'm talking about.

Filed: Timeline
I am told that even if 'preconceived intent' were presumed, this is not sufficient grounds for removal.

Were you told this by someone with a legal background in family-based immigration?

Yes, a lawyer told me this. Also a website: http://www.naftatnlawyer.com/marrying-a-usc-while-in-tn-sta/

A preconceived intent to immigrate at the time of entering the U.S. as a non-immigrant (such as TN status) can be a basis to deny an application for adjustment of status. An applicant may offset this adverse factor by presenting evidence that would favor an approval. For example, where the preconceived intent is the only negative factor, an application for adjustment of status may be approved where the applicant is an immediate relative (this includes spouses) of a U.S. citizen.

The OP said they married OUTSIDE the US then she entered the US on a tourist visa. I don't think there is any adjustment possible. She was married when she arrived so she has to file the I 130 and interview in her home counrty.

This is correct.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.