meowmeowmeow

Is it luck, country of origin, etc etc...?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

So, hi.

I've been reading a lot of VJ in the past few weeks. Read about some good cases where things turned out OK, and other cases where things did not turn out ok.

With the cases that turned out ok, either something was missing with their case (i.e. paperwork, more info, etc etc..) or they got denied for stupid or seemingly, no reasons at all.

I'm just wondering....and want some truly honest answers here:

What does it all come down to? Does your case get denied/approved before it even gets to the embassy? Does NVC tell the embassy what to do or whats going on with the case...

Is it country of origin (I'm sure this plays a role in many cases), the couples themselves, their proof etc?

Maybe this is a dumb question. but my thing in asking this is: I want to do as much as possible to ensure that my husband will get his visa and come to me by the end of this year, tops. I want to at least be able to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary together (November 1st).

So..........what's da deal.....

Timeline:

Sent in I-130 form: 01/29/09

Interview Date: 11/08/09 (APPROVED!)

Visa in Hand: 11/12/09

POE: 01/30/10 (!!!!) at JFK Airport in NYC... can't wait!

Got the green card maybe 8 weeks after 01/30/10...

TBC....

======================================================================

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

IMHO, for the most part the consulate does the best they can with what they have "in front of them". like, lets say.... the couple doesnt fit the cultural "norm" and the spouse interviewing is really nervous and doesnt answer certain questions correctly...then thats a perfect storm, so to speak. But, you might have a couple that "fits" but the spouse is nervous or answers something incorrectly or vice versa(they dont "fit" but the spouse interviews well)...maybe they let them through. Perhaps the country plays a part in the way that they look at what is "acceptable" for that culture.

There is no equation for denial or approval.

Do you guys fit the cultural norm for your spouses country?

Do you have lots of proof of an ongoing relationship? Does he know all about you? Do you have pics with his family? Pics of you guys together? Can he hold it together during the interview? These are all things you actually have control over...the rest is up to the CO.

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Timeline
IMHO, for the most part the consulate does the best they can with what they have "in front of them". like, lets say.... the couple doesnt fit the cultural "norm" and the spouse interviewing is really nervous and doesnt answer certain questions correctly...then thats a perfect storm, so to speak. But, you might have a couple that "fits" but the spouse is nervous or answers something incorrectly or vice versa(they dont "fit" but the spouse interviews well)...maybe they let them through. Perhaps the country plays a part in the way that they look at what is "acceptable" for that culture.

There is no equation for denial or approval.

Do you guys fit the cultural norm for your spouses country?

Do you have lots of proof of an ongoing relationship? Does he know all about you? Do you have pics with his family? Pics of you guys together? Can he hold it together during the interview? These are all things you actually have control over...the rest is up to the CO.

Hi Y's habibitk,

1) Cultural norm, I suppose...my dad is Syrian, got an aunt over there, cousins, etc...our parents were neighbors as kids in the Golan Heights. We are both of Circassian descent, so we've got that in common.

2) We have over 60+ pics of us together in Jordan, Turkey, and Syria, plus a few with my mom and sis when they came to see us in Jordan last year. Telephone records, I do not have, I explained that drama a while ago (T-Mobile are jackasses, wouldn't give me my phone records...so I have written a letter which I sent to my hubby explaining to the embassy that T-Mobile sucks and if they want, they can contact them to ask about phone records....I used mainly phone cards in this time period, but hope that will be enough....and maybe they can see the text messages that went on between us) I've got 3-4 affidavits from my mom, my best friends, and my sis-in-law, got a stack of emails from February 2007 to present, totals 35 pages altogether and still growing). We did not think of saving our chats and stuff....we were not interested in going through this process in the past, and honestly I didn't see the point of saving stuff like that before...it's like I should have known that we would eventually be going through this process early on in our relationship and start saving? Who thinks like this...know what I mean? That's all I've got so far...hopefully it's enough...

3) He knows all about me, yes. I've laid out my entire life story for him in the beginning. I was divorced, and he knows ex's name, where he's from, why we got divorced, when, etc etc...name of my best friend, my family, what I do for a living, bla bla bla...

(Question: how would the embassy know all this stuff anyways? How would they be able to verify all this stuff?Know what I'm saying...?)

4) Don't have pics with his family...they don't like taking pics, they're kind of religious and I guess taking pics for them was a big no-no...so no. But with my fam, yeah. And mutual friends who attended our wedding ceremony, as well as some shots of us all at a hookah lounge before the wedding.

5) I'm sure he can hold it together for the interview...he's a chill guy for the most part.

Am I good to go?

Timeline:

TBC....

Timeline
You should be good to go. Don't be surprised if they put hubby on AP due to nationality (I know, unfair as #######, but that's how they roll). Good luck :)

yeah i figured. but what i'm thinking is that hopefully won't last too long because he is from a minority group there...so less to check up right? and his name is not a common syrian/arab name...so am i logically thinking about this?

Timeline:

TBC....

Timeline

I think you are good to go! It sounds like you've done a great job in preparing :thumbs:

As far as AP, like Len said... keep it in mind so you arent soheartbroken and shocked if it happens, but hope for the best. Not every ME case gets AP. :)

Good Luck hun

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Timeline

yeah....i sure hope it won't be AP. but i guess you guys got a point.

i'm just basically looking for any loopholes that these guys might find in our stuff....but seeing your reactions makes me feel a bit more positive about things.

and i guess i can't really predict how long the AP thing is going to last?

ah well.

Timeline:

TBC....

Timeline

i'm just basically looking for any loopholes that these guys might find in our stuff....but seeing your reactions makes me feel a bit more positive about things.

ah well.

Hopefully USCIS has already done his name and background checks...then, with your case in great order and you guys having much in common, you shouldnt have to worry much god willing.

I noticed that many long AP cases were people who were approved really quickly out of the service centers(i.e- they didnt do much BG/name checks). this is with the true name check ones. Others are in "AP", but its more of the CO doing a final review/decision. Some people actually get home visits and such. I think those are the cases that the CO feels really need additional "digging".

This is all my personal theory and observation only. I theorize that cases approved quickly out of the service centers may need additional security checks after they reach the consul because USCIS didnt do them. There are many cases that simply get the visa right after the interview...so its not like they do name checks on everyone...so thats my theory to explain why some get AP(name check types) and some dont. heh...for what its worth.

Thanks!

Timeline

noting your previous post....what's a quick approval? mine took about 3 months or so...

Timeline:

TBC....

Timeline
noting your previous post....what's a quick approval? mine took about 3 months or so...

I wouls consider that quick. Im sorry..dont fret, its just my theory.

Thanks!

Timeline

ok, my friend asked me to ask a question here because she refuses to join....i think she's just extremely lazy. she's a good buddy of mine who also married a guy from overseas. also a syrian.

her question is this: she is worried about her and her husband having met online and then getting married about a year after they started talking online. basically, from what i'm gathering, they spent 2 weeks together before they took the plunge, in person. but they've been happily married for about 3 years now. she had a job that had her traveling quite a bit and he had a small business over there that he recently sold off, so they haven't been able to live together properly, but she travels to see him often.

she is worried about her case being seen with an evil eye. can i reassure her....what would you think if you saw this case in front of you...

i dunno what to tell her, i'm basically saying gather your evidence, be truthful of your feelings, and hope for the best....i mean, that's a pretty long time to be married to someone........

thanks.

Timeline:

TBC....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

ah well.

Hopefully USCIS has already done his name and background checks...then, with your case in great order and you guys having much in common, you shouldnt have to worry much god willing.

I noticed that many long AP cases were people who were approved really quickly out of the service centers(i.e- they didnt do much BG/name checks). this is with the true name check ones. Others are in "AP", but its more of the CO doing a final review/decision. Some people actually get home visits and such. I think those are the cases that the CO feels really need additional "digging".

This is all my personal theory and observation only. I theorize that cases approved quickly out of the service centers may need additional security checks after they reach the consul because USCIS didnt do them. There are many cases that simply get the visa right after the interview...so its not like they do name checks on everyone...so thats my theory to explain why some get AP(name check types) and some dont. heh...for what its worth.

That sounds good to me. I was in AP for about 25 days with NVC. The funny part to me is that I work for a shipping co that deals w/immigrations - customs and because Im about to become a school teacher, I have fingerprints, criminal background and child abuse clearances. I think what held us up is our age difference. There are 16 years between us and they are probably looking at that. My fiance is straight laced. No children, no drinking, no smoking, never been arrested, none of that. I was out of the service center in 4 months so I guess AP was bound to happen to us. Thats why I have to make it to our interview because if he tries to do it alone, they may torcher us and show a lot of proof of an ongoing relationship. We are not worried because we have all that.

I wish everyone the best of luck on their journey!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Jamaica

02-18-2009: Filed I-129F and Sent I-129 via USPS

02-24-2009: VSC received I-129F

02-26-2009: NOA1 received

06-30-2009: NOA2 received

07-10-2009: NVC Received

07-15-2009: Case number assigned, Yay!

07-16 to 08-03: Additional Processing, #######????

08-04-2009: Case left NVC

08-07-2009: Case Arrived at Embassy, Yay!!!

Comments : Received NO2A the same day we got engaged, 06-30-09

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 126 days from your NOA1 date

Timeline
ok, my friend asked me to ask a question here because she refuses to join....i think she's just extremely lazy. she's a good buddy of mine who also married a guy from overseas. also a syrian.

her question is this: she is worried about her and her husband having met online and then getting married about a year after they started talking online. basically, from what i'm gathering, they spent 2 weeks together before they took the plunge, in person. but they've been happily married for about 3 years now. she had a job that had her traveling quite a bit and he had a small business over there that he recently sold off, so they haven't been able to live together properly, but she travels to see him often.

she is worried about her case being seen with an evil eye. can i reassure her....what would you think if you saw this case in front of you...

i dunno what to tell her, i'm basically saying gather your evidence, be truthful of your feelings, and hope for the best....i mean, that's a pretty long time to be married to someone........

thanks.

We got married on the first visit and I couldnt even visit during our 15 month wait before his interview...NO problems whatsoever. Her case looks better than ours did(with her visits) and we got approved..visa in hand a week later :thumbs:

You're telling her exactly what I would tell her...evedence,honesty at the interview and good luck :)

I would ask why they waited so long to file though.

Thanks!

Timeline

ah well.

That sounds good to me. I was in AP for about 25 days with NVC. The funny part to me is that I work for a shipping co that deals w/immigrations - customs and because Im about to become a school teacher, I have fingerprints, criminal background and child abuse clearances. I think what held us up is our age difference. There are 16 years between us and they are probably looking at that. My fiance is straight laced. No children, no drinking, no smoking, never been arrested, none of that. I was out of the service center in 4 months so I guess AP was bound to happen to us. Thats why I have to make it to our interview because if he tries to do it alone, they may torcher us and show a lot of proof of an ongoing relationship. We are not worried because we have all that.

I wish everyone the best of luck on their journey!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Jamaica

02-18-2009: Filed I-129F and Sent I-129 via USPS

02-24-2009: VSC received I-129F

02-26-2009: NOA1 received

06-30-2009: NOA2 received

07-10-2009: NVC Received

07-15-2009: Case number assigned, Yay!

07-16 to 08-03: Additional Processing, #######????

08-04-2009: Case left NVC

08-07-2009: Case Arrived at Embassy, Yay!!!

Comments : Received NO2A the same day we got engaged, 06-30-09

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 126 days from your NOA1 date

We were in AP at NVC for 52 days..in all the research and comparing that I did, there is no common thread among the cases(only that they were K visa petition's). I think along with most everyone ever pulled for AP at NVC, that its completely random. But there is evidence that they are actually doing something with the cases that they pull. One lady was asked about who lived with her fiance' during a certain time period because the NVC AP showed that there was an overlap of tenants in that apartment( 2 different ppl had lease's in the same time period) which means they do dig during that time i guess :o It wasnt a problem at all for her...just proves that the CO knows about the findings of the AP during the NVC stay.

Im glad your stay was shorter :) Good luck at the interview!

editted- for the bad typing :P

Edited by Y's_habibitk

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.