bridget y rodolfo

Need confirmation on K1 process in Cuba

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Cuba
Timeline

***Sorry, I realize I posted this in the wrong forum and can't see how to delete it. :(

Hello,

I know this information has been covered bit by bit in the forum (I've explored a lot), but I just want to be sure I've got it all right. I've received the NOA2, and am awaiting noticias from the NVC.

This is how I think it'll all go down... Can someone confirm???

1. NVC will pass case on to US Interests Section. Will I have to submit the Affidavit of Support form and fee to NVC before it moves on? Do I need to submit anything to the NVC? I see contrasting reports on this.

2. Fiance will be informed and will pick up packet requesting the following forms: DS 156k, 157, DS 230 part 1 and 2, I-134, proof of my financial support, letters of intent to marry, and proof of ongoing relationship. Once this is complete, he'll call for an interview at Interest Section.

3. At interview, we'll pay either 121CUC or $131. (And I won't have any problems being there, however it is that I'm in Cuba???) Once approved, he'll return the next day for the visa.

4. Then he goes to Cuban Immigration for the carta blanca, pays 400CUC (is this correct?) for previously taken medical exam and 150CUC (correct?) for carta blanca. However, I read somewhere that the total cost at this point is $850 - which is correct?

5. Once carta blanca is received, they scope out his home and confiscate his things???? He lives with his mother, in her home. How will they differentiate what belongs to him and what belongs to her? Should he relocate things (like tv/dvd) to another house for awhile?

6. Then he buys ticket direct to Miami- is this only available through American Airlines, and is there a specific office he needs to go to? About how much is the cost?

7. When he arrives in US, does he receive a temporary work permit for first 90 days (I think I've read that), or will it only arrive after we've married and requested it?

Ok- I know this is a lot... thanks for any confirmation you can offer from your own experiences. I'm trying to prepare as much I can in the next two weeks as I've got a friend headed down soon, and I'm about to start an extremely busy schedule with work and school. I don't want any delays because of me being too slow.

Thanks so much!

Edited by bridget y rodolfo

Timeline

Hello,

I know this information has been covered bit by bit in the forum (I've explored a lot), but I just want to be sure I've got it all right. I've received the NOA2, and am awaiting noticias from the NVC.

This is how I think it'll all go down... Can someone confirm???

1. NVC will pass case on to US Interests Section. Will I have to submit the Affidavit of Support form and fee to NVC before it moves on? Do I need to submit anything to the NVC? I see contrasting reports on this.

2. Fiance will be informed and will pick up packet requesting the following forms: DS 156k, 157, DS 230 part 1 and 2, I-134, proof of my financial support, letters of intent to marry, and proof of ongoing relationship. Once this is complete, he'll call for an interview at Interest Section.

3. At interview, we'll pay either 121CUC or $131. (And I won't have any problems being there, however it is that I'm in Cuba???) Once approved, he'll return the next day for the visa.

4. Then he goes to Cuban Immigration for the carta blanca, pays 400CUC (is this correct?) for previously taken medical exam and 150CUC (correct?) for carta blanca. However, I read somewhere that the total cost at this point is $850 - which is correct?

5. Once carta blanca is received, they scope out his home and confiscate his things???? He lives with his mother, in her home. How will they differentiate what belongs to him and what belongs to her? Should he relocate things (like tv/dvd) to another house for awhile?

6. Then he buys ticket direct to Miami- is this only available through American Airlines, and is there a specific office he needs to go to? About how much is the cost?

7. When he arrives in US, does he receive a temporary work permit for first 90 days (I think I've read that), or will it only arrive after we've married and requested it?

Ok- I know this is a lot... thanks for any confirmation you can offer from your own experiences. I'm trying to prepare as much I can in the next two weeks as I've got a friend headed down soon, and I'm about to start an extremely busy schedule with work and school. I don't want any delays because of me being too slow.

Thanks so much!

~bridget~

K-1 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Switzerland

I-129F Sent : 2009-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-06-01

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-07-31

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage :

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 60 days from your NOA1 date.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

duplicate posts moved into same forum and merged

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Just to clear things up for you. Yes the NVC sends your case to the U.S interest section. The affidavit of support is submitted at the time of the interview with the other documentation that your fiancé needs to fill out. Not all the time the US interest section informs to pick up packet. I had to call to set up an appointment for Mary to go pick the forms up. And Make you call the U.S interest section to do that, and to set up an interview date. They will give you an 800 number to call for the interview appointment. Typical the visa is given the next day, but I had heard that some received it on the same day. I not sure what is the cost of the Carta Blanca as of now, but when we went through the process is was 150, and the medical exam was 400, and keep in mind you must buy the plane ticket before the Carta Blanca is received. A ticket for Cuba right now is about 300cuc. If you fiancé is permantly immigrating to the U.S, then the government will confiscate anything that bears his name. Typical they make a visit to his house and ask where he sleeps and what does he owned in the house. When they showed up at Mary's house, Mary said that she shares a room with her little sister and the house and all the belongings are owned by her mother. Nothing was confiscated. As for flying from Cuba, he needs to purchase the plane ticket in Cuba at his local havanatur office. I have seen American Airlines planes at the airport, but they are charter planes. Only charter planes can directly travel from Cuba to the U.S. As for the work permit, I had heard that you received a work permit stamp at the airport, we didn't have that luck. I also suggest he go get his social security card and his driver’s license when he arrives in the U.S. before is k-1 expires. Good Luck, Edwin&Mary

Edited by EdwinandMary

Timeline

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

Just to clear things up for you. Yes the NVC sends your case to the U.S interest section. The affidavit of support is submitted at the time of the interview with the other documentation that your fiancé needs to fill out. Not all the time the US interest section informs to pick up packet. I had to call to set up an appointment for Mary to go pick the forms up. And Make you call the U.S interest section to do that, and to set up an interview date. They will give you an 800 number to call for the interview appointment. Typical the visa is given the next day, but I had heard that some received it on the same day. I not sure what is the cost of the Carta Blanca as of now, but when we went through the process is was 150, and the medical exam was 400, and keep in mind you must buy the plane ticket before the Carta Blanca is received. A ticket for Cuba right now is about 300cuc. If you fiancé is permantly immigrating to the U.S, then the government will confiscate anything that bears his name. Typical they make a visit to his house and ask where he sleeps and what does he owned in the house. When they showed up at Mary's house, Mary said that she shares a room with her little sister and the house and all the belongings are owned by her mother. Nothing was confiscated. As for flying from Cuba, he needs to purchase the plane ticket in Cuba at his local havanatur office. I have seen American Airlines planes at the airport, but they are charter planes. Only charter planes can directly travel from Cuba to the U.S. As for the work permit, I had heard that you received a work permit stamp at the airport, we didn't have that luck. I also suggest he go get his social security card and his driver’s license when he arrives in the U.S. before is k-1 expires. Good Luck, Edwin&Mary

• 4 weeks later...

That's an eye-opener.

In Cuba, everything is free (like health care and university education) but they confiscate everything if you want to LEAVE.

In America, you have to pay for everything so they confiscate what you've got left if you want to STAY.

TAXES.

Gotta love 'em.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It makes me sad to read this post, honestly. 1969 is when my grandparents took my aunt/mother and left Cuba forever. They were only allowed to take one or two things each. It's disheartening to hear that it is still that way.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
It makes me sad to read this post, honestly. 1969 is when my grandparents took my aunt/mother and left Cuba forever. They were only allowed to take one or two things each. It's disheartening to hear that it is still that way.

Malrothien, my grandparents were the same way... my grandmother loves America because she said they took her family in even when they had nothing... unfortunately, it's not that easy to get to the States anymore, if you're an honest but poor and ill-treated person. My father and his two older sisters said they left with nothing but the clothes on their backs and a few photographs. My grandma cries everytime she tells the story... anyway, I totally understand your feelings.

Snail-Mail Pen-Pals for 7 years... met in person in May 2008. Engaged in August 2008. Took some time deciding what to do, where to marry, etc... Applied for K-1 in January via attorney in CA.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Guangzhou, China

I-129F Sent : 2009-02-04

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-02-25

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-07-07

Packet 3 Received : 2009-08-15

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-08-19

Packet 4 Received : 2009-09-10

Interview Date : 2009-10-14 Submit Review

Visa Received : *hopefully!!!*

US Entry : 2009-10-17

Marriage : 2009-11-21

Comments : nervous! :P

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 132 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 231 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The only thing my grandmother took was her wedding/engagement ring. It's so sad - they would strip search you to ensure that you weren't hiding anything.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.