soulmatesinlove

Question about transferring money

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi I am new here and my fiance and I have been discussing many things as we are beginning this process. One of our questions is when he moves here, how would he go about getting his money here to the states. He lives in Morocco and I know that it is really difficult to get money from there to here. Any suggestions from anyone who has moved from Morocco to the US?

We had a really hard time. They are supposed to be able to only leave with approximately $1500-1600 American dollars and cannot leave with any dirhams. They limit the amount they are allowed to exchange and stamp their passport.

My husband scheduled a layover in Europe so he was able to exchange some money in Euros and then exchange the Euros into dollars.

You can look into a bank transfer but they will press him for a very valid reason as to why he needs to transfer money out. It is near impossible.

Rebecca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

wow this is exactly what we are trying to figure out too. Hicham told me he is going to the "office of change" in Rabat so that he can insure the money he is taking with him and apparently they record something in his passport... has anyone heard of this? He is planning to bring money with him... and since it is about impossible to transfer money from Morocco to the US he is bringing cash. I guess I will let you know how it goes in Rabat tomorrow. If anyone has heard of this please let me know because I have no idea what he is talking about.

Thanks!

Sarah

oops i said we is bringing cash... yikes

Edited by sarah and hicham

Sarah,

He is basically talking about a currency exchange place. For Moroccans, they show they need a valid visa and thus a reason to be exchanging money into dollars. The passport is marked with each exchange. The maximum they are allowed to do ends up being around $1500-1600 US dollars. By insure, I think he means to get the proof that it was done legally (versus a black market transfer). They give him a receipt. The receipt may be asked for when he leaves the country.

Rebecca

Filed: Timeline
Sarah,

He is basically talking about a currency exchange place. For Moroccans, they show they need a valid visa and thus a reason to be exchanging money into dollars. The passport is marked with each exchange. The maximum they are allowed to do ends up being around $1500-1600 US dollars. By insure, I think he means to get the proof that it was done legally (versus a black market transfer). They give him a receipt. The receipt may be asked for when he leaves the country.

Rebecca

My fiance told me he can bring $1700 with him. Is there anyway that his family can send more if he/we need it? We are just thinking about during the time that he wouldn't be able to work. From what I understand it isn't even a bank issue, you can't even do a wire transfer, it has to do with the office of exchange. I had thought that he could do a wire transfer from his bank there to a bank here, but I guess you can't.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Sarah,

Rebecca

Thanks Rabecca, that is interesting. So he can go tomorrow and exchange that money and they will mark it in his passport and give him a receipt? I think he said his Dad couldn't give him any money until the end of the month so I'm thinking there is no point in him going tomorrow, right? Thanks for clearing that up.

Sarah

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.