munkeynutts

Entering USA on a K-1 Visa. How long must I remain?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

When I enter the USA on a K-1 Visa, must I remain in the USA for a minimum period of time before I can leave whenever I want for holidays, trips back to the UK, etc? Me and my fiancee will get married a matter of days after I arrive in the US.

Thank you.

Martin

Edited by munkeynutts

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2009-05-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-05-29

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-10

I-797 Received: 2009-09-22

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-05

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-10

Packet 4 Received : 2010-01-06

Interview Date : 2010-02-03

Interview Result : Disastrous.

Only realised on the day that a full birth certificate was needed. My passport was too damaged, in the opinion of the interviewing officer (although it wasn't really that damaged at all!). Was told I needed to supply an I-134, completed by my fiancee (even though the embassy guidance notes specifically advises that K-1 applicants do not have to do this). Was told that I needed to supply my fiancee's tax return paperwork for year ending 2008 (even though K-1 applicants are not advised of this at all prior to interview!)

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received : 2010-02-24

US Entry : 2010-02-25

Marriage : 2010-03-22

Comments : Married at Harris County Courthouse on Clay Road by Judge William Yeoman. Then a lovely lunch at Bistro Alex, off Sam Houston Tollway, Houston, TX! Yummy!

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 115 days from your NOA1 date.

There is no specific limit I believe, but you have to file for Advanced Parole (AP) which takes around a month or two processing.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

When I enter the USA on a K-1 Visa, must I remain in the USA for a minimum period of time before I can leave whenever I want for holidays, trips back to the UK, etc? Me and my fiancee will get married a matter of days after I arrive in the US.

Should remain in the US until you get either AP (Advance Parole) or your PR/Green Card (which are part of the AOS stage).

There is no specific limit I believe, but you have to file for Advanced Parole (AP) which takes around a month or two processing.

And you'll be getting to Texas in the middle of winter, which I imagine is much nicer than an English winter......you won't want to leave! :thumbs:

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

And you'll be getting to Texas in the middle of winter, which I imagine is much nicer than an English winter......you won't want to leave! :thumbs:

Woo hoo!! Go June filers go!!

"Waiting does not seem long, once it is accomplished"

Click on "my timeline" and it is there. Takes up too much space in the signature area.

The K-1 visa is a one time visa. It will not allow you to return. To fulfill the conditions of this visa, you must marry within 90 days of your arrival. Once that happens, you need to apply for Adjustment of Status (AOS). Many also apply for travel documents called Advanced Parole (AP). If you leave the USA before having obtained at least AP you will not be allowed back. This could have serious consequences and you might be required to re-file under the K-3 visa application for spouses.

Try to be patient about traveling home until you have legal means in which to re-enter.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi all,

Thank you.

Martin

You can LEAVE anytime, but you cannot RETURN until you have an AP (I-131) or green card. APs are generally received within 90 days of application. The AP is free if filed with the AOS. So get married and file the AOS with an I-131 and you will be able to travel in about 90 days (my wife got hers within 60 days).

If there is some family emergency, you can apply for an I-131 at your local office and it can be sent to a foreign consulate, but you need your NOA1 from the AOS filing, so get that done ASAP

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Hi all,

Thank you.

Martin

You can LEAVE anytime, but you cannot RETURN until you have an AP (I-131) or green card. APs are generally received within 90 days of application. The AP is free if filed with the AOS. So get married and file the AOS with an I-131 and you will be able to travel in about 90 days (my wife got hers within 60 days).

If there is some family emergency, you can apply for an I-131 at your local office and it can be sent to a foreign consulate, but you need your NOA1 from the AOS filing, so get that done ASAP

Semantics, I know, but the bolded is not quite phrased correctly either. It is advisable not to leave once you've 'activated' the K-1 (i.e. entered the US) until you've applied for AOS and have at least the AP approved. Once can be considered to have abandoned your adjustment of status if they leave before it is adjudicated....that is why AP is necessary, to have USCIS 'approve' your re-entry to the states. Without that they may constitute your exit from the US as abandoning of the AOS.

The best course of action is to follow through with the requirements of the visa issued to you....enter the US w/ your K-1, marry your fiance(e) and apply to adjust your status as soon as possible. With your AOS applicaiton, send off the additional AP (I-131) application. Luckily it gets approved quite quickly so you should be good to travel within about 90 days of applying for it.

Good luck,

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Timeline

Thank you all for advice and tips.

Another query. My last two entries were problematic, in that I entered twice for three months at a time, and the visits were 6 weeks apart, so pretty close together. Lots of quizzing in US immigration, etc. They said that I best not come again unless I have a visa, else I could have more problems.

I have tickets for the U2 gig in Houston on October 14th. Do you think I would have problems entering Houston and staying for a few days (up to a week), for the purposes of seeing my fiancee and getting to the gig? Could they turn me back? Refuse me entry?

Thanks.

Martin

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Only realised on the day that a full birth certificate was needed. My passport was too damaged, in the opinion of the interviewing officer (although it wasn't really that damaged at all!). Was told I needed to supply an I-134, completed by my fiancee (even though the embassy guidance notes specifically advises that K-1 applicants do not have to do this). Was told that I needed to supply my fiancee's tax return paperwork for year ending 2008 (even though K-1 applicants are not advised of this at all prior to interview!)

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Comments : Married at Harris County Courthouse on Clay Road by Judge William Yeoman. Then a lovely lunch at Bistro Alex, off Sam Houston Tollway, Houston, TX! Yummy!

Processing

CPB can refuse you entry at any time, at their discretion. You could be perceived to be violating the terms of your visa waiver travel privileges...there's no way to tell for sure what will happen. If you've already had issues trying to enter, I would not risk it...

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You may have an issue. Come from October 2008 to October 2009 when you want to come for the visit, how much time will you have spent inside the USA and how much outside? If you spent nearly as much time in the USA as outside, they may well deny you, especially as you already had trouble previously. What some people from the Uk do in a case like this is fly via Ireland; that way you can do US immigration in Ireland, which tends to be fairly lenient and if you get turned back, you only have to fly from Dublin to London, not all the way back from the USA.

That being said, they gave me a hard time one time in Chicago PoE not because of time spent within the USA, but because I had been there 5 times in 6 months (long weekends mostly), and I said I was visiting my fiance (no visa filed yet). They let me in but only stamped my passport for a day longer than my return ticket was for (in case of flight delays). Next time I went over- 2 months later- I brought tons of evidence (letter from employer, proof of owning a home, bank account details, proof I was enrolled in an evening course etc). I sailed through passport control without them giving me a second glance.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

For a shorter visit, with your return ticket itinerary, the U2 concert tickets and the NOA1 from your K1 petition are your best preparations, even if you get pulled into secondary.

Adding a letter from your employer which states you are on holiday and expected back on a certain date would also greatly aid your cause.

However, if they have advised you to get a visa, then perhaps they have flagged you as an abuser (or potential abuser) of the VWP, and a B-2 visa will be necessary. When were these last two visits?

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Thank all for advice. I am not travelling in october now. My girl is taking a friend to the gig. Just playing it safe and waiting for K-1 processing! Incidentally, we received an automated email status update which read 'We have mailed you and amended notice'. We, and not one person on visajourney knows what the heck that means! We shall just wait and see what it is when it comes through in the post. I would presume my American fiancee in the US will receive something in the post, and not me (who is in the UK)? We filed I-129F in May.

Thanks.

Martin & Shawnie

PS: How can I make a photo appear on my posts, underneath my profile name? I see other posters with cute little pics and I want to display one also!

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Processing

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
PS: How can I make a photo appear on my posts, underneath my profile name? I see other posters with cute little pics and I want to display one also!

Click on "My Controls" at the top of the page. Click on "Avatar Settings" in the left hand menu. Select from one the prepared avatars, link to a picture on a website, or upload your own picture. Try to keep your picture to 125x125 or less, or the forum software will scale your image.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

I thank you! My photo is now visible!

Regards,

Martin

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Processing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.