Gary and Alla

Update..AOS for K-2 to follow

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello All

I thought I would update those interested in the K-2 to follow AOS process we are currently doing. Our son, Sergey, was unable to join Alla and Pasha last September because he attends a university in Moscow and was starting classes at that time. We got him off to school and then Alla and Pasha came on K-1/K-2 visas. We got married and adjusted status and Alla and Pasha recevied green cards in January of this year.

We did the K-2 to follow in June of this year for Sergey and it was quite painless and easy. (As painless and easy as these things can be) Sergey arrived July 16 on a K-2 (to follow). Our concern was getting him here and getting his status adjusted so he could return September 8 to resume his studies in Moscow. We discussed it at Alla's AOS interview and were assured the local office would cooperate and help to get Sergey processed quickly when he arrived.

I filed his AOS the day after he arrived (July 17) and received the I-797C this Saturday. I immediately scheduled an inforpass appointment for this morning as the local office had informed me to do. So this morning, Alla, Sergey and I went to the local office. They were most cooperative. First thing, they contacted the Chicago office where we filed the AOS and asked for Sergey's file to be sent to the local office ASAP. They then had us complete an application for an AP (I-131). They had told me earlier NOT to send this with the AOS but just to bring the I-797C and apply for the AP at the local office. There was no additional fee for this as we had the notice of filing for the AOS. They did the biometrics for the AP and green card while we were there, and tolds us to disregard any biometrics appointment letter we may get. They will process the AP and promise to have it to us by the end of next week. When the file arrives for the AOS they will review it and approve it (provided everything is there) without an interview and order card production. We signed a document requesting the green card be sent to the Mosocw consulate and notification it has been sent to Moscow will be sent here, to our home. This will be put with our file when it arrives. Then we can call Sergey and tell him to go to the Moscow consulate and pick up his green card. So, in about 4 weeks time from when he arrived, he will have an AP in hand and be sure to be able to return, even if there was some delay with the green card.

As much as I am cynical about the USCIS and the service centers which have truly awful customer service and information, I have to compliment the local office in St. Albans for their assistance. They have been really prompt and helpful throughout the AOS process for our family.

As regards other people doing this...

1. None of this applies to K-1s. K-1s have a more complicated AOS process and require evidence of marriage, legitimate relationship, etc. K-2s do not. They require only that the parent (K-1) do what they need to do and proof that they are the child of the K-1 (birth certificate) Since Sergey's AOS is derivitive of Alla's, and since Alla has completed her AOS, that hurdle is done and over with, however...

2. Your local office can process an AP for important reasons. APs can be sent to a foreign consulate. We were told Sergey could "leave today" and have the AP sent to Moscow, but we have time to get it here and I prefer to see it in his hand before he leaves. If a K-1 or K-2 beneficiary had to leave before completing AOS, for a family emergency, etc. contact your local office, make an infopass appointment and get on to what you need to do. There is a way.

3. K-2s do not necesarily require an interview (sometimes K-1s do not have one either) and we were told no interview is necessary. These are done by local offices and aparrently the local office is satisfied with whatever "interviews" they have done so far. FWIW Sergey was in the office and did much more today than we ever did at any interview anyway.

4. I have to say, for a child with a concern about returning quickly for school, a K-2 to follow may be better than them coming with the K-1 at the same time. With a K-2 to follow, you can control the date of visa issuance and time it to meet your needs. We scheduled Sergey's interview just two days after his last class, enough time for the overnight train to Kiev, the medical exam an hour after he got off the train and the interview the next day. He was on the train back to Donetsk a few hours after the interview and had his visa in hand 5 days later. All his AOS papers were prepared except for his I-94 number and copies of his entry stamps. We could have dropped it in the mail at the airport when he arrived, but "delayed" until the next day. No marriage to get done, no marriage certificate to wait for, no K-1 AOS to slow things down. I had already met with the local office and got the directions what to do. Of course, this is a personal decision. For us, since he attends school away from home anyway, and he is a big boy (with paid room and board, he doies well as long as there is someone to feed him mass quantities of food every two hours) there was no problem in having him follow later.

So for anyone with a fiancee with children and educational concerns, consider a K-2 to follow and the AOS route that worked for us. I am very pleased we were able to do this without interrupting Sergey's education.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Happy to see that it all worked out Gary. This must be a load off everybody's mind.

Just a comment about service and scheduling. Vika recently received her AOS interview notice. The interview was scheduled for the 20th of August as you know. We had planned to be out of town that day, and had purchased tickets. After calling the USCIS service center per the instructions for rescheduling, and getting the usual "we will submit your comments, but cannot tell you anything about a new date - or anything else" we made an infopass appointment. Vika was due to leave for Ukraine on AP three weeks later, and we were afraid the new date would fall during that time - putting it back until November. I wanted to post up here that the local field office in Louisville rescheduled the interview for a week earlier than the notice, producing a new appointment letter during our infopass appointment. I appreciate your advice while we were both wiggin' out that first weekend.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Happy to see that it all worked out Gary. This must be a load off everybody's mind.

Just a comment about service and scheduling. Vika recently received her AOS interview notice. The interview was scheduled for the 20th of August as you know. We had planned to be out of town that day, and had purchased tickets. After calling the USCIS service center per the instructions for rescheduling, and getting the usual "we will submit your comments, but cannot tell you anything about a new date - or anything else" we made an infopass appointment. Vika was due to leave for Ukraine on AP three weeks later, and we were afraid the new date would fall during that time - putting it back until November. I wanted to post up here that the local field office in Louisville rescheduled the interview for a week earlier than the notice, producing a new appointment letter during our infopass appointment. I appreciate your advice while we were both wiggin' out that first weekend.

I'm glad you posted this also, Brad. I was thinking of making a comment about your case also, but better that you did. It is good to know, at least at some point when you can deal with the local office, that the service seems better. Once it gets to the AOS and gets into the local office's jurisdiction, things seem to be a lot more reasonable. Maybe it is because they have to look you in the eye. :)

Good luck with your interview

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I'm glad you posted this also, Brad. I was thinking of making a comment about your case also, but better that you did. It is good to know, at least at some point when you can deal with the local office, that the service seems better. Once it gets to the AOS and gets into the local office's jurisdiction, things seem to be a lot more reasonable. Maybe it is because they have to look you in the eye. :)

Good luck with your interview

Cheers - I will post about it.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.