Jauque

Importing Vehicle

45 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Based on the posts here, it seems like such a no-win nightmare to bring a vehicle into the US!

Disagree. It was the easiest part of this whole insane immigration process. :thumbs:

Agree, 5 min in the office with the person to request the letter, 1 week to get the letter, done. Thats it thats all.

Do a basic search here, and you will see how Canucks do NOT look forward to doing an inventory and bringing a vehicle full of life accessories into the US.

I don't need to do a basic search, I've been a part of the CDN forum for long enough.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
I have to really LOL. Even if you are using PODS, ABF, UHAUL or any shipping service, you have to inventory EVERYTHING for customs anyways, and deal with all of the same things just minus the part of driving it. It is NOT difficult. Wow.

I've sent boxes to Europe by Air Cargo, and it was the same... You have to list the content of any parcel you ship by mail too; I don't see what's different. Plus, I don't know about you, but I personally like to know what's in each box when I move anyway :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I have to really LOL. Even if you are using PODS, ABF, UHAUL or any shipping service, you have to inventory EVERYTHING for customs anyways, and deal with all of the same things just minus the part of driving it. It is NOT difficult. Wow.

I've sent boxes to Europe by Air Cargo, and it was the same... You have to list the content of any parcel you ship by mail too; I don't see what's different. Plus, I don't know about you, but I personally like to know what's in each box when I move anyway :)

yea cus its great to look for clothing and spend an hour doing it cus you never labled or numbered anything !! or find all your kitchen stuff instead of your bedroom stuff and have a huge mess in the house! lol Really dont know what that guy/girl is talking about it being so difficult to lable things and move.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

The first thing I'm thinking is that if you just need it to drive your things down, and then you were planning on scrapping it afterwards, then don't import it. You could drive it back and fly back after junking it in Canada if you want. I never imported my vehicle. I'm wondering if it's as bad as you say if you could anyway? Just wondering how it would meet the standards for importation.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
The first thing I'm thinking is that if you just need it to drive your things down, and then you were planning on scrapping it afterwards, then don't import it. You could drive it back and fly back after junking it in Canada if you want. I never imported my vehicle. I'm wondering if it's as bad as you say if you could anyway? Just wondering how it would meet the standards for importation.

It's not so old that it wouldn't pass the compliance. It's just not a vehicle I plan on using once I get TO Kansas since I have a nicer one there. Could I do that, I thought I was pretty much stuck in the states until my AOS was complete.

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

08/27/2009 - Visa Received

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

01/15/2010 - EAD Approved

02/25/2010 - AOS Interview

Adjuticator's Field Manual

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Disclaimer : 100% of the time I only think I know what I'm talking about.

It's not so old that it wouldn't pass the compliance. It's just not a vehicle I plan on using once I get TO Kansas since I have a nicer one there. Could I do that, I thought I was pretty much stuck in the states until my AOS was complete.

No, sorry...you can't go back right away. I just meant after you got your AP or GC you could drive it back. Another idea might be to just rent something you can take your things down in, and then deposit it in KS, and then not worry about driving it down at all. Maybe in another importing of cars thread you could find the specific posting, but I was pretty sure you can take your car down and not import it until another time. Someone jump in if I'm mistaken. I bet trailmix would know! :thumbs:

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

While I agree that importing a car is a hassle, I'd also agree with MrsCat in that it was the simplest part of the whole immigration process.

I imported my car from the U.S. to Canada, so maybe my situation was a little different. It took time and cost a lot of money to do. While it was a hassle, at least I have my car now. :)

Timeline

I've gone to Ford and they're getting me my compliance letter all for the low low price of 100$ and I don't even know if it says that my vehicle is okay yet.

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Timeline

I've gone to Ford and they're getting me my compliance letter all for the low low price of 100$ and I don't even know if it says that my vehicle is okay yet.

Generally if the car is not ok they dont issue the letter, cus they wouldnt be able to give you compliance letter if the car didnt meet the standards hehe

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Timeline

Generally if the car is not ok they dont issue the letter, cus they wouldnt be able to give you compliance letter if the car didnt meet the standards hehe

Well i got a call this afternoon that its ready to pick up so I'm crossing all my fingers and toes that you're right!! :dance:

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Timeline

it should be fine good luck!!

Timeline

Actually they would probably give you the letter even if it wasn't compliant - for instance if there was an outstanding recall - you would just have to fix it before moving.

Anyway, really the import of the car, when you do it at the POE is 1 form that you fill out with basic information like VIN and year etc etc and they stamp it and voila, you present this when registering the car.

Now you can choose to junk it, but if the registration where you are going is not expensive - why not get a title and sell it to offset the cost of the letter etc. :thumbs:

Timeline

The letter says:

This vehicle would have met compliance except for a few minor labelling issues (I have no idea what that means) and daytime running lights.

All recalls are up to date and it meets all emission control standards for importing a vehicle.

Will I be expected to get daytime running lights and fix whatever a labelling error is before going through the POE?

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Timeline
The letter says:

This vehicle would have met compliance except for a few minor labelling issues (I have no idea what that means) and daytime running lights.

All recalls are up to date and it meets all emission control standards for importing a vehicle.

Will I be expected to get daytime running lights and fix whatever a labelling error is before going through the POE?

You shouldn't - mine, from Ford, didn't say anything about labelling, however it did have the thing about the running lights. We were going to go have them disabled - for $125.

Anyway, we decided it was stupid and we weren't going to. The guy at the POE read the letter, shook his head and said "Ford should know better". I didn't ask but I assume he meant about the lights thing - because there wasn't really anything else on there.

Timeline

That's odd, I'm going to go have to check now but I think the issue is that my vehicle doesn't have daytime running lights. Not that it does have them. Maybe thats why he said Ford should know better?

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.