Merlion@

Urgent! Do I need visa for Canada?I

27 posts in this topic

Hm, my fiance used to visit by greencard.

He used his Taiwanese passport + the green card.

But Taiwan and Canada have a visa waiver agreement, I think.

So you may want to check if the country you originally came from has a visa waiver program with Canada.

If they don't, you may need a visa...

This coming from personal experience anyway.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

from

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp (Canadian Government site)

At the bottow of the page under "Visitor Visa Exemptions"

•persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence;

So I would say Passport and GreenCard if flying, Greencard if by Car.

Edited by metals95

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
from

•persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence;

actually you need a passport for land and sea borders now too

mvSuprise-hug.gif

from

Yes, and this is why my fiance had to present his Taiwanese passport.

I don't know if they judge upon the passport shown, but never hurts to be safe.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
from

not true if you have a green card

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents: Document requirements for Lawful Permanent Residents will not change under WHTI. U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents can continue to use their permanent resident card (Form I-551) or other valid evidence of permanent residence status.

Timeline
from

U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents: Document requirements for Lawful Permanent Residents will not change under WHTI. U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents can continue to use their permanent resident card (Form I-551) or other valid evidence of permanent residence status.

hmm interesting.. kind of strange that US citizens have to get a passport but permanent residents do not but maybe because you have to go through security checks etc to get your green card...

this would come in handy for me because I need to renew my passport and I am planning on going to Canada for Christmas.. would be simpler to get the guarantor and pictures done in Canada...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

from

hmm interesting.. kind of strange that US citizens have to get a passport but permanent residents do not but maybe because you have to go through security checks etc to get your green card...

this would come in handy for me because I need to renew my passport and I am planning on going to Canada for Christmas.. would be simpler to get the guarantor and pictures done in Canada...

Hm, that reminds me.

I remember while I was at the Toronto airport one time that I saw a sign that Green Card users had to be fingerprinted and their photos taken.

I don't remember if this was all green card people in general or just the ones on visas.

Timeline
from

Hm, that reminds me.

I remember while I was at the Toronto airport one time that I saw a sign that Green Card users had to be fingerprinted and their photos taken.

I don't remember if this was all green card people in general or just the ones on visas.

well, when I first came over with my CR1 visa I had to be fingerprinted and get my pic taken.. I haven't flown internationally since so I don't know if that is something they do every time..

we are planning on flying to Seattle and then taking the bus to Bellingham and then having someone pick us up there and drive us across the border... much cheaper that way..

I wonder if someone who has driven across the border recently can tell us for sure if permanent residents need a passport or not...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've travelled across the border a number of times. I've always had my passport and my GC, so I can't help you with the "just GC" question. They are so sticky at the border, I would think they would give you hard time if you didn't have a passport. But who knows? It seems odd that a citizen needs a passport, but a permanent resident doesn't.

Also, regarding the fingerprinting, when I just had AP, they fingerprinted me and took pictures every time I went through, but since I've had my green card, I don't think they've finger printed me at all. I've gone through Pearson a number of times and I just went through Philadelphia.

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You don't need a visa - the green card will do for both entry into Canada and re-entry into the US, but take your passport as well. Even with the green card I have been asked for my passport upon re-entry to the US, and you may need it for entry into Canada as well. It is always a good idea to have your passport with you if you are not in your home country. Enjoy your trip!

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

You don't need a visa - the green card will do for both entry into Canada and re-entry into the US, but take your passport as well. Even with the green card I have been asked for my passport upon re-entry to the US, and you may need it for entry into Canada as well. It is always a good idea to have your passport with you if you are not in your home country. Enjoy your trip!

was that driving or flying?

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You need one for driving and flying. I would say it could be asked at either entry.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

You need one for driving and flying. I would say it could be asked at either entry.

well according to the links that were posted permanent residents don't need a passport....

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) and Air Travel for U.S. Citizens

When traveling by air between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, you are required to present a U.S. passport, except as noted below. This applies to everyone including newborns, infants and children.

The only exceptions to this requirement are for:

* U.S. citizens on active duty with the U.S. Armed Forces, traveling with military ID and travel orders

* U.S. citizen merchant mariners traveling in conjunction with maritime business, with U.S. issued Merchant Mariner Document

* Travelers with a NEXUS card used at a NEXUS kiosk at Canadian Preclearance airports

* U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents with a Permanent Resident Card or other evidence of permanent residence status and required documentation; refugees and asylees with a Refugee Travel Document

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_at.html

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

^^ I guess, but then if you're asked to prove your citizenship, you will need a passport.

Personally like others have mentioned I would never leave a country without my passport.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.